A fascinating news story surfaced this week that is bound to get you thinking this Friday morning. According to The Telegraph, scientists have a new theory to explain the accelerating expansion of the universe. New intensive research suggests that the universe isn’t actually growing in size but rather time itself is slowing down! Make sense? They believe that time was created during the Big Bang and that sooner or later, time will slow down so much it’ll completely stop for all eternity. Or until another big bang, although how a big bang can be caused without time is beyond me. Though this doesn’t really explain why the days seem to be going quicker…or maybe it does. My brain is not that clever.
So, in theory, time could suddenly stop altogether at any moment. It could even stop as you read this newsletter – just imagine, you’ll be frozen forever staring at the computer screen with this very newsletter in front of you. Thankfully it’s a good one! So, here we go…
ALL THE BEST CULT RELEASES
- THE SQUAD ( Out Now!) – Released earlier this week was the new and very scary, The Squad. From debut director Jamie Osorio Marquez, comes a psychological horror that’s teeming with tension and palpitating with paranoia. Following a squad of soldiers who come across an enemy bunker where a unexplainable evil lurks, they soon discover a woman buried alive in between one of the walls! And that’s just the start. This week, the forum has been celebrating it’s release with a great blog and thread about other great Buried Alive movies to claustrophobic horror and news that the film is already being remade by Hollywood (a very good sign that this is a must see!). Order yours from Amazon today.
- The Reptile (Out Now!) – With the resurrection of Hammer Studios, Studio Canal have been releasing some top-notch classics on Double Play (DVD & Blu-Ray). Out this week is the ssssimply ssssstunning ssssnake film, The Reptile. Starring Jacqueline Pearce, this is one of Hammer’s greatest. Order yours now and visit the Fan Hub for more info!
- THE PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES (Also out now!) – Forget Shaun Of The Dead, this film is the king of British zombie cinema. A real unforgettable classic cloaked in Gothic craziness and a fan favourite amongst all of Hammer’s out put. If you’ve never seen it before, shame on you! If you have however, you’ll know just how amazing it is – especially now it’s looking the best it ever has. Grab yours today!
- AIRBORNE -
Scared of flying? You will be after you watch this film. This new British horror film starring none other than Mr. Mark Hamill and a whole wealth of other well-known actors is so, so much fun. A mysterious cargo, a very sweary gangster, zombification and a killer on the loose. This film has everything you’d need from an entertaining night in and more! Don’t miss this and take an exclusive sneak peak with some of these great clips…
- GOD BLESS AMERICA
There’s plenty of things in life that really get on one’s nerves. From talking in cinema, speaking with your mouth full, ordering diet coke with your super greasy massive McHeartAttack to people who walk slow and hog the whole path. God Bless America is a new bad-ass comedy film that centers on a pair of vigilante’s quest to rid the world of all these annoyances. I cannot recommend this film high enough, this really is a must see. Visit the new Fan Hub for more info.
- CHUCK NORRIS – Cult Labs is going crazy over the king of bad-asses, Chuck Norris. We’ve set up a new forum dedicated entirely to him and posted up the Official specs for the upcoming releases of his classic films, The Octagon and A Force Of One! No more will you be forced to watch shoddy releases of these films, instead Anchor Bay are releasing these in stunning high def Blu-Ray and DVD. Packed with special features, this is not to be missed. Head to the forum too for a list of completly true facts about the man himself. Did you know, for instance, that Chuck Norris invented water and once punched a baby elephant into puberty? It’s true!
- THE NIGHT PORTER (Anchor Bay, 30th July) – Everyone loves a good (read: pure evil) Nazi. Whether it be an all-singing all-dancing Hitler to a Tarantino directed Jew hunter. Well, ladies and gentlemen, here we have the granddaddy of all Nazisploitation films. Classy, sleak and rather naughty. The Night Porter is out late next month – visit the official thread for all the saucy details.
- ARROW VIDEO – This week Arrow has shared with us some rather interesting news. First up, they’ve confirmed exactly how the upcoming Lady Snowblood releases will look. The Snowblood Dual Format Edition is now 3 discs and the SteelBook is now Blu-ray only. The films will be split one film per Blu-ray and the DVD will have both films on one disc. We decided against putting both films on one Blu-ray as the encode would not have been good enough, in order to get a top notch encode we had to split the films. We will update with full details of the discs soon!” In other news, Savage Streets is now out of print and will no longer be available on Arrow’s website. You can still pick up this great Linda Blair film from Amazon Marketplace though. Also, a huge thanks to all those who voted for the Class Of Nuke ‘Em High and Combat Shock artwork!
- SHAMELESS SCREEN ENTERTAINMENT - This week on the Shameless forum there has been lots of talk about what members would like to see released soon. One of the most popular titles is a series of Indiana Jones knock offs – a thread created by Gojirosan. If you’d like to see Shameless release films like this in the future, head to the thread and let them know! I created a couple of unofficial artwork to tingle your taste buds…
In other yellowy news, Shameless sent us a video taken from the Cine-Excess event that took place last night. Take a look at it here to see Italian exploitation legends Enzo G. Castellari and Sergio Martino awarded with a very special prize!
WIN! WIN! WIN! BECAUSE WE’RE GENEROUS LIKE THAT!
The prize for this week’s Competition is the intense The Squad. It’s dead simple to enter. All you have to do is break the tension of the film, and come up with a funny caption for the pictures! Easy peasy! We’ve got three copies to give away – so don’t hesitate to enter! Good luck.
Also up for grabs this week is an utterly incredible prize! We have several numbered prints of the God Bless America artwork (only 10 in existence!) that have been signed by the artist. Fancy winning this? Well, we’re giving two away in the Comp Corner, two on Twitter, two on Facebook, two on Tumblr and two on Reddit! Good luck with this too!
Well, that’s it for this week but remember there are so many ways you can get involved with all the cult film fun at Cult Labs: