It’s Newsletter Time!
Hello everyone and welcome to another Cult Labs’ Weekly Newsletter! Horray! This week, we have plenty of great cult news to keep you excited. From fighting bits, zombie bits and even some very naughty bits. It’s all here film fans! So roll down your blinds, order in boxes of pizza and feast your eyes on some of these great titles coming sooner than you can say Irish Swish Wristwatch.
Away we go…
- A FORCE OF ONE – This week marked the first time Chuck Norris’ fighting classic, A Force Of One was released onto Blu-ray (and DVD) and what a fantastic release it is too. From Anchor Bay comes Chuck Norris’ version of Rocky which, whilst slightly different to his cartoony mayhem, is “a firm favourite amongst Norris-ites, this certainly ranks as one of his better films” ( Flickering Myth ). It’s great fun and presented here in glorious high-def. A must see for all Norris, cult and action fans!
- THE OCTAGON – Anchor Bay are spoiling us this week! Also out now is another Norris epic, the legendary Ninja film, The Octagon, which, if I’m not mistaken, was the first film to feature masked ninjas which became hugely popular during the ninja boom of the 80s. One of my personal fav Norris films, this is an absolute cracker of a film! Ninja action galore, tight, tight trousers and that unmistakable moustache. This is what action cinema is all about! If you think you can handle the Chuck’s almightiness then check out this – one of, if not the, best of his infamous films.
- TRIPLE TROMAS – Also out this week are three brilliant releases from the greatest independent film company of them all, Troma! Monday saw Arrow unleash Combat Shock, Surf Nazis Must Die and Class Of Nuke ‘Em High in beautiful packages (as per usual) and teeming with great extras! Get your Troma fix today by checking out these releases! Pure fun!
ALL THE BEST CULT RELEASES
- TRUTH OR DARE – Coming to DVD and Blu-ray on the 27th August is this great new horror film. Truth Or Dare tells a gruesome story of a group of teenagers who are invited to a party, only to find that when they arrive there is no party. Instead, a man, with a gun, and a bottle ready to play a game of Truth Or Dare to uncover a morbid secret. It’s great fun and stars David Oakes as well as Merlin‘s Alexander Vlahos! Visit the Official Facebook group and Tumblr for plenty of great content and news.
- THE HOT POTATO – Staring Ray Winstone in the lead, The Hot Potato is a fantastically charming and funny celebration of the best of British. Set during the 1960s, the film is a throwback to the caper film, with many similarities to everyone’s favourite Brit Flick,The Italian Job. With great fashion, beautiful vintage cars, lots of action and laughter as well as a fantastic soundtrack this film is one of Britians finest movies of the year. Take a look at the below clip…
- [REC] GENESIS – There’s not long left until the next installment of the [REC] series comes out on UK DVD and Blu-ray! Gorier, funnier and so much more fun than the past two films, [REC] GENESIS is more like Braindead with its outrageous deaths and blood by the bucket load. BRILLIANT! Honestly, this is one of my fav zombie films of the past few years. There’s plenty of places to go and celebrate, from the forum, the Facebook page, Tumblr, Twitter and even YouTube. Get infected!
- THE AGGRESSION SCALE – Two words; Ray. Wise. The man’s incredible! Star of Mad Men, Reaper and the hugely underrated Dead End, he now appears in the fantastic new film, The Aggression Scale which is destined to go down as a great cult film in the annals of movie history. Like a gory version of Home Alone, this film is great fun. In celebration of this, Sam has put together an ace blog about Home Invasion films that’s well worth a peak at.
- Pop Erotica Fest Box Set – Coming out from Shameless Screen Entertainment later this month is the super sleazy, super sexy and super…Shameless-y set of kinky klassics; Venus In Furs, The Frightened Woman and Baba Yaga! Head on over to the forum to join in the fun and vote for your favourite of the three. To celebrate this, we’ll also be hosting a hugely exciting Shameless Movie Marathon! Kicking of with Massimo Dallamano’s What Have They Done To Your Daughters? and followed by Lucio Fulci’s New York Ripper and the zombie great Dellamorte Dellamore! All to celebrate the Pop Erotica Fest‘s box set release and Shameless in general! Dates have yet to be confirmed, but it will most likely be around the 1st September. Watch this space for more info.
The great online empire of cult films, Attack From Planet B have informed us this week that they’re currently organising a very cool screening (one of many hopefully). The first film being shown on the big screen is the unmistakable zombie masterpiece, Romero’s Dawn of The Dead. Head here for all the juicy, brain-noming details and be sure to go! Or else!
WIN! WIN! WIN!
This we’ve got some very cool competitions going. So, here’s a quick rundown of where you can win your next film! GOOD LUCK!
- ZOMBIE 108 - Win the sexiest, goriest and trashiest zombie film in years! Head here for all the (very) simple instructions.
- THE OCTAGON & A FORCE OF ONE – Win both Chuck Norris titles in this brilliantly fun competition! Simply email me (email@example.com) a photo of yourself facing forward and I’ll Chuck-Norris-ify you and enter you into a random draw to win! It’s that simple! Come on, everyone looks better with blond hair and a big bushy blond moustache!
Well, that’s it for this week but remember there are so many ways you can get involved with all the cult film fun at Cult Labs: