View Single Post
Old 24th January 2012, 02:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I never played any of the Resident Evil games. However, I have quite a soft spot for this movie franchise.

I still like the first movie for what it is: a free and fast-paced video game adaption. The claustrophobic atmosphere is just brilliant! The action is great, and the Zombies (especially the mutated dogs) are still scary.

The second (Apocalypse)...well, at first I felt exactly like Pete, I didn't like it at all. Why? I don't know, it simply didn't feel right after the first part, although many people say that this movie is the one that comes as close as possible to the video games (something I can neither deny nor confirm). However, I have to admit that I quite liked it when I watched it on Blu-ray a few weeks ago - with the scenes in the church and on the graveyard being well-staged and genuinely creepy.

The third (Extinction) is an excellent movie. It's not only the best part of the series so far, it's also a great film on its own. It has great cinematography, great characters, and fantastic action.

Number four (Afterlife) is the weakest film of the series, if you ask me. It seems as if almost all the money went into the 3D effects, and nothing was left for a good story or more atmosphere. It just looks too much like one of those modern action films that have been springing up like mushrooms for quite a while now. But, as Kyle has already implied - it's quite entertaining anyhow.

My expectations are pretty low at the moment - as the trailer for Retribution looks pretty similar to Afterlife - new ideas, anybody?

Greetings!