View Single Post
Old 10th March 2010, 12:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Il Terzio Occhio/The Third Eye

This superb psycho-thriller is what Joe D'Amato would later remake/rework as Beyond The Darkness/Buio Omega. Released in 1966, this Giallo is very much influenced by Psycho with a very young and clean-cut looking Frank (sic) Nero in the lead. I liked the performances - especially Olga Solbelli (rather literally translated as Olga Sunbeauty in the credits!) as the domineering mother - but could understand if they seemed a bit stagey or even wooden to modern audiences. It's surprisingly nasty for the time, a scene towards the end involving someone trying to answer the telephone made me cringe slightly, and there is a definitely and appropriately morbid air to the proceedings. What really stasnds out though is the photography; it is beautifully shot in gorgeous black and white in excellent locations and sets. The film looks amazing and director Mino Guerrini displays a sure hand.

An utter triumph so far as I am concerned. I don't suppose it will ever be released on DVD in the UK, but it would make for a great double disk special edition with D'Amato's Beyond The Darkness.