Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2011, 06:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Jet Li

Discuss Jet Li here
Old 11th December 2011, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Yours truly prefers The Jetster's more ground-based actioners rather than his gravity-defying and wirework-infested '90s outings which i used to enjoy back in the day. Some say Li was the most memorable thing about the lacklustre Lethal Weapon 4 and i think that's probably an accurate comment. However, imo the superb Kiss Of The Dragon still remains The Jetster's best non-Eastern effort and i'd like to see a fully uncut U.K. DVD release of Black Mask sooner or later.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:41 AM
Cult Rookie

I'm a huge Jet Li fan. In fact, he's probably the first person I ever recognized as a star, in the sense that when I was younger, I practically idolized him. The One is my favourite of his Western films - a film that's just as good in theory as it sounds in concept. At least outside of Jason Statham's so-bad-it's-good American accent.
Old 14th December 2011, 05:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Let's face it, although he's been starring in films since the early-mid '80s onwards, The Jetster never really hit it big until he portrayed popular Chinese folk hero Wong Fei Hung in the Once Upon A Time In China saga before Chiu Man Chuk took over the role later in the series.

It would be interesting to see how Li's career would've evolved had he not appeared as the above martial arts legend.

Also, whereas i think The Jetster probably comes across as more mean and menacing in his movies, yours truly does confess to preferring Donnie Yen as an action star. The latter is definitely the better kicker and fight choreographer imo.
Old 14th December 2011, 03:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

i'm not a big fan of his string-fu stuff, although Tai Chi Master is incredible, but he does start in one of my top ten HK films, the cracking Hitman.
Old 14th December 2011, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I actually got to shake hands with him in the 90's. He appeared at the Prince Charles cinema in Leicester square and did some forms to promote the release of BLACK MASK. Also shown were DR WAI & FIST OF LEGEND.
He then did a signing session at the Cinema Store. Unfortunately I no longer have the signed pic.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 9th January 2012, 07:58 PM
Cult Rookie

Fist of Legend is one of my all-time favorite martial arts movie. I like the realistic, high-impact style.

Unleashed is another notable one. His dramatic acting skills really show. The fight scenes are probably the most raw and gritty stuff I've seen him do.

Fearless is just epic.
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnHST View Post

Fearless is just epic.
A friend brought me back a DVD copy of Fearless from Finland just recently, unfortunately there's no English language option or subtitles on it.The Fight sequences look great though.
Old 24th January 2012, 03:17 PM
Cultist

Fearless is superb. The UK and USA blu rays have 3 different versions of the film on them including the superior directors cut.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:20 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Kiss

I can't find Kiss of the dragon anywhere!

Like this? Share it using the links below!