Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2008, 08:33 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Arrow Video - Martin

What a strange film this is, more art house than horror. Strange to think that this is pre 'Dawn of the Dead' - doesn't even seem to be by the same director...did Romero sell out (with marvelous results)?

I find this cusp of his film making to be truly fascinating - he clearly had ideas and intentions above zombie gore which would ultimately become his forte - I just think it was a hesitant forte. I consider 'Dawn of the Dead' to be one of the most important films made, let alone horror film, considering the influential effect it had on Italian cinema in particular. Had Romero stuck with films akin to 'Martin' would we ever have seen the likes of Zombi 2 (fulci) - well of course not!

Discuss - or go and eat a pasty, either or. Not both.
Old 29th September 2008, 09:39 AM
Cultist in Training

*Goes off to buy a pasty*

Old 7th October 2008, 05:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Martin is a good film, I like how Romero added a twist to the tale in that it ain't your standard vampire movie. The ending was also very abrupt and hard hitting. I like it, though it doesn't hold up as well on repeat viewings as Romero's DEAD movies do.
Old 7th October 2008, 08:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought the opposite way Cloudy,first time I saw it I thought-what the **** was that all about?!
It's only in recent years,I've been able to appreciate it on repeat viewings...and yeah you're right-that's one of the best 'boot in the balls' endings ever in a film.....first time I seen that I was gobsmacked....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th January 2010, 09:44 AM
Cult Rookie

love this film. other then dawn and day my favorite romero film. i really like what romero did with this film making the viewer decide for himself if martin was a real vampire or just a derranged teenager with a lust for blood. i get a kick out of savini's role in the film and its always nice to see george make an apperance in his films. some of the scene i thought to be real artistic and well shot. overall it is a classic film in the vampire genre that does not get enough credit.
Old 5th January 2010, 08:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

One of the most original,and as I say that abrupt ending....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th January 2010, 07:45 PM
Active Cultist

One of my favourite aspects of the film is Donald Rubinstein's haunting, unusual score. Hypnotic and superb.
Old 9th January 2010, 07:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

The first time I saw Martin was on channel 4 years back.My elder brother and I watched it and thought it was great.I thought it was quite a bloody film to be shown on TV at the time too.I believe lead actor John Amplas went on to play the zombified Nathan Grantham in the Father's Day segment of Creepshow.As well as appearing in Day of the Dead and the video nasty Forest of Fear.
Old 9th January 2010, 08:11 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I believe lead actor John Amplas went on to play the zombified Nathan Grantham in the Father's Day segment of Creepshow.As well as appearing in Day of the Dead and the video nasty Forest of Fear.
He only appears briefly in Forest Of Fear as one of the agents in charge of the Dromax-spraying.

He was also Whiteface in the underrated Knight Riders and can be briefly spotted as one of the shortlived rooftop bandits in the original Dawn Of The Dead.
Old 12th January 2010, 10:02 AM
Cultist in Training

According to the HMV website Arrow are bringing this out on BR 2 Disc in June. But you probably all knew that anyway, right?

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=300057

Like this? Share it using the links below!