Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:06 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Default Battle Royale (ArrowDrome) - Official Thread

Battle Royale (ArrowDrome)

ONE DEAD. 41 TO GO.

Battle Royale is back. It’s time to return to the island and kill your friends, because the cult Japanese movie that defines twisted action and sickening violence is ready to shock you all over again.

In a world where teenagers have no respect and adults are losing control there can be only one solution: Battle Royale! Now, see what happens when you let a high school class loose on an island, arm them and then give them a simple choice... Kill your friends or have them kill you; with poison, cross-bows, machetes and dynamite. ‘Beat’ Takeshi Kitano (Violent Cop, Zatoichi) is a teacher pushed to the edge by his unruly charges. Kidnapped and gassed, his class wake up with exploding metal rings around their necks. If they rebel, they could lose their heads. Now they have three days and only one is permitted to survive this grisly battle to the death.

Directed by the master of 70s Yakuza thrillers Kinji Fukasaku and featuring Kill Bill star Chiaki Kuriyama, Battle Royale is the movie that helped to define extreme Asian cinema in the 21st Century.

ARROWDROME IS A FLEAPIT SELECTED LIBRARY OF CULT FILMS; VIOLENT, HORRIFIC, SLEAZY, EXPLOITATIVE. TO EXPLORE STEP IN TO THE CULT ARENA! EVERY ARROWDROME RELEASE INCLUDES A REVERSIBLE SLEEVE OF ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND A COLLECTOR’S BOOKLET!

ALSO INCLUDES MAKING OF, TRAILER + BOOKLET BY JAPANESE CINEMA EXPERT TOM MES AND AN INTERVIEW WITH DIRECTOR KINJI FUKASAKU!

109 mins approx
Region 2 PAL
Available from 3 October 2011
RRP £9.99

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 15th September 2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Is this being re-released on Blu-ray on the Arrow Drome Label also? The sticker suggests so, but the RRP seems to suggest not? I've noticed on the Facebook page a few of these have blu-ray tags on the description, which again, suggests they are? I never got around to picking up Battle Royale (SE too big to fit on my Blu-ray shelves, and the LE stupidly over-priced at the time), and am mildly tempted. If it is, what kind of RRP will the blu-rays be looking at?
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

For me there's only one way to go with this title and that's Arrow's original DVD and BR ltd. ed. sets. Awesome both of 'em!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:13 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Not bad at all.

I hope those are stickers advertising the Blu ray releases or i will not buy any of them.
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:28 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
Is this being re-released on Blu-ray on the Arrow Drome Label also? The sticker suggests so, but the RRP seems to suggest not? I've noticed on the Facebook page a few of these have blu-ray tags on the description, which again, suggests they are?
Nope! ArrowDrome is a DVD-only label. The "Also available on Blu-ray" sticker (on this and other ArrowDrome titles) is referring to the corresponding Arrow Video Blu-ray release. The same goes for the blu-ray tags on Facebook and so on.

It's just so that people who see an ArrowDrome title on DVD in a shop know they can get it on Blu-ray instead if they prefer!
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've Had my dvdr off film4 for too long, this will do. 3 so far.
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:47 PM
Active Cultist

Looks good Which version of the film will it include?
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

...and what genre is being represented by the blue cover. Foreign? Asian? School kid horror ???
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Although I own this numerous times, I'm drawn to the artwork and, for reasons which escape me, I'll probably add this to my collection as well!

At a guess, I'd say blue is for action but, as the colour came out on top in the poll to choose the sci-fi colour, it may be temporary.
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

I suppose its vaguely Sci-Fi? It's set a bit in the future isn't it . . . ?

Like this? Share it using the links below!