Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2011, 06:51 PM
Ex-Member

I think its funny when you pick up a dvd in there and gasp, almost fainting at the price. For example 85pound for a Kiss live in Japan cd. Normal standard cd packaging. Same cd is available as a bonus disc on kiss's sonic boom album. Oh and Metallica live in (can't recall) dvd, 101pound. Wonder why they clagged a quid on.

The only fools who would get faulty copies of these dvds are the fools with the bread to buy them.
Old 10th October 2011, 06:56 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
says in here it's £9.99. The lower price was just an opener from Arrow on their site.
Well, I stand corrected - I was sure it was lower as literally everywhere else seems to have it at a dramatically lower price point.

Perhaps I should apologise to HMV - Hell no.
Rik likes this.
Old 10th October 2011, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haha, i wouldn't expect you to! But it winds me up when people are disgusted that a retail store dare sell.something at the RRP! Nobody complains when it's a coke, or a shirt or a loaf of bread, so why is a DVD etc the exception, especially in a shop!
Old 10th October 2011, 08:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If I want a new item very cheap, I'll search for it online.

In a local shop, I can skim all the titles as long as I wish, I can touch the boxes with my hands, I can check if the steelbook has any dents, I don't have to wait for delivery, I can ask the seller to search the title for me (if I am too lazy or in a hurry), I don't need to go online, I don't have to pay for delivery,...

It really depends!

I hope this explains why a shop like HMV has the right to sell a title at the RRP. Anything above that is intolerable, though - at least for me!

Greetings!
Old 11th October 2011, 08:49 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
I hope this explains why a shop like HMV has the right to sell a title at the RRP. Anything above that is intolerable, though - at least for me!
Absolutely agree, but I thought the RRP was below what it was being sold at, hence my original post.

Cheers!
Old 12th October 2011, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post

I can ask the seller to search the title for me (if I am too lazy or in a hurry), I don't need to go online, I don't have to pay for delivery,...

It really depends!

Greetings!
If only HMV were anything like that. I actually bought something there recently and there wasn't even a member of staff anywhere near the DVD section, which has it's own floor. After standing at the checkout for a few minutes I had to go downstairs to the games/cd section to actually be able to pay for the damn thing!
Old 12th October 2011, 03:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
If only HMV were anything like that. I actually bought something there recently and there wasn't even a member of staff anywhere near the DVD section, which has it's own floor. After standing at the checkout for a few minutes I had to go downstairs to the games/cd section to actually be able to pay for the damn thing!
Yeah, such really happens. I admit that I was only describing how it should work!

Greetings!
Old 12th October 2011, 07:57 PM
Ex-Member

Or worse they claim you can trade in games now. Only not downstairs and sometimes there systerm doesn't work. And the prices have always been a rip off. 16pound for a cd is way about RRP price. 22pound for a dvd is out of order. Musiczone used to sell the same dvds for 5.99.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:22 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
Or worse they claim you can trade in games now. Only not downstairs and sometimes there systerm doesn't work. And the prices have always been a rip off. 16pound for a cd is way about RRP price. 22pound for a dvd is out of order. Musiczone used to sell the same dvds for 5.99.
And look what happened to Musiczone.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 13th October 2011, 08:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
And look what happened to Musiczone.
Musiczone went bust because the owner started buying up loads of debt, thought he could make a few bob and promptly went under!

Truthfully folks, places like HMV are the last gasp of high street retailers, once their gone it'll just be the supermarkets and the second hand shops, after that its online only baby!

I work in retail, and seriously I can see myself unemployed in the next few years, not a good thing when past 30!

Basically an online retailer dosent need all these things called shops with rent and utilities and business rates to pay, it dosent need all those pesky staff with wages to pay and it can get whopping great discounts from the wholesalers for buying in bulk. Supermarkets have all the problems online dosent but this is tempered by the 'shady' business practices and the massive diversity of its product.

Ironically stores like hmv came in and decimated the smaller retailers, now they are getting the same from the bigger boys. In terms of pricing its good for the consumer, rarely will the rrp ever be charged online or in a supermarket, but its pretty bad for all the countrys wellfare bill when all these shop staff find themselves on the street.

Like this? Share it using the links below!