Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Action & Adventure (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   Lone Wolf And Cub movies (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/action-adventure/1639-lone-wolf-cub-movies.html)

Pete 29th August 2009 12:43 PM

Lone Wolf And Cub movies

Eureka are going to release a remastered box set of The Lone Wolf and Cub films:

From DVD Times

Eureka Entertainment have announced the UK DVD release of The Complete Lone Wolf & Cub Boxset on 16th November 2009 priced at £49.99 RRP. Based on the popular manga by Kazuo Koike and Goseki Kojima, this set brings the Lone Wolf and Cub series together with Shogun Assassin, officially licensed from Toho, fully uncut and freshly remastered for this release. Shogun Assassin is the first two Lone Wolf instalments re-edited into a single film for the American market back in 1980.

The films included in this set are:
Sword of Vengeance (1972, Kenji Misumi) 84 minutes
Baby Cart at the River Styx (1972, Kenji Misumi) 82 minutes
Baby Cart to Hades (9172, Kenji Misumi) 89 minutes
Baby Cart in Peril (1972, Buichi Saito) 81 minutes
Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (1973, Kenji Misumi) 90 minutes
White Heaven in Hell (1974, Yoshiyuki Kuroda) 84 minutes
Shogun Assassin (1980, Robert Houston) 86 minutes

Features include:
Freshly remastered, anamorphic, original aspect ratio transfers
Newly translated optional English subtitles
Original Japanese theatrical trailers for each film
Liner notes for each film by Japanese film scholar Tom Mes (midnighteye.com)
New packaging based on original Japanese poster design

Splatterdragon73 30th August 2009 10:52 AM

Sounds brilliant and i'll be grabbing this collection once it's out!

I've already got the Australian R4 box set and Artsmagic's remastered U.K. equivalent but the opportunity to own a new fully uncut and freshly restored British collection (with SA too!) is simply too tempting for yours truly to pass up.

Let's hope Eureka do all us LWAC fans proud!:happy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th August 2009 07:56 PM

I was going to import the region 1 boxset a while ago but This is a much better option,I think it's selling for £37.99 on Play.I read on the criterion forum that the set will be packaged like criterion's eclipes series-slime cases inside a box.

It says that it's new packaging based on the original japanese poster design.I wonder if that also means the individual films or just the outer box?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st August 2009 09:39 PM

So does this put the last box to shame then?
I ain't got round to watching any yet.....:rolleyes:

Stephen@Cult Labs 31st August 2009 09:44 PM

I think the films in the last uk boxset were all non-anamorphic transfers and this is the first time that the films films have been released together with Shogun Assassin.

kevxxx1 1st September 2009 07:46 AM

Some of the films were cut in the last UK box set - hopefully the info is correct and they are all uncut this time.

Splatterdragon73 1st September 2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 40070)
I think the films in the last uk boxset were all non-anamorphic transfers

I thought that was Artsmagic's first LWAC box set and didn't they reissue the same poor quality prints in anamorphic widescreen some time after in a pathetic attempt to try and improve the PQ?

If i recall correctly the last LWAC collection we had featured remastered 16x9 transfers and were apparently far superior looking to the previous U.K. editions. But the censor cuts are still evident in this box set and i got mine from HMV for £30.

I'm hoping Eureka's release will be the definitive word on the sword slashin' exploits of Itto Ogami.:happy:

vincenzo 1st September 2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevxxx1 (Post 40092)
Some of the films were cut in the last UK box set - hopefully the info is correct and they are all uncut this time.

The cuts to Sword Of Vengeance should be waived now. I'm not 100% sure about Baby Cart To Hades though, as the previous cuts were to topless nudity and breast kissing during the assault/killing of the woman & daughter.

mark meakin 2nd September 2009 09:09 AM

I'm really tempted to double dip despite owning the r1 boxset.

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd September 2009 09:35 AM

6 Attachment(s)
New packaging based on the original japanese poster design? I'm assuming these will be the covers then :clap: