Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2011, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

No definite remark about surely fixing the transfer, but this is what they posted last Monday:

Quote:
We are taking this very seriously. The benefit of having PR time with check discs prior to release is it allows us to correct things where possible. They are only check discs that reviewers receive and do not always reflect the final product.

The restoration and colour grading for THE BEYOND took place in Italy by the owner of the film, we then received the HD Master in the UK where we felt that the restoration was not good enough so had additional work on the film carried out using an HD Archangel to fix and stabilise motion, weave, picture flicker, overscan and interpolation as well as MTI technology to remove marks and picture defects. Colour grading was completed in Italy and was not tampered with here, we are investigating the colour of the film from negative to master to disc and hope to have more information soon. Once we have more information we can discuss this with the technical team and ensure the right colour is properly presented on this Arrow Video edition.

Once we have further information we will happily communicate every step of the way what is happening and we hope that our customers will keep their confidence in us to deliver the best product possible come release day.
Here's what Troy Howarth @ AV Maniacs posted:

Quote:
Received word from one of the execs at Arrow that the opening of The Beyond WILL be fixed before it streets.
THE BEYOND! On Blu!

Isn't the first part, from Arrow, an admission that the opening is incorrect and that they're looking into fixing it? If it doesn't get fixed, that means they aren't willing to (or able to, I suppose, financially) fix the problem. If it doesn't get fixed, I feel like I'm being told "yeah, well, it ain't the way it's supposed to be and we know it, but suck it up anyways."
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Does A/V Maniacs know something we don´t???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Nope.
Then why is that Troy Howarth on A/V Maniacs posted on the 22/February that he received word from one of the execs at Arrow that the opening of The Beyond WILL be fixed before it streets?

THE BEYOND! On Blu!
Old 2nd March 2011, 12:55 AM
Ex-member

All that statement says is that check discs are not the same as final discs and they are looking into the situation. I have every confidence that Arrow will not rush a product and will delay if needed.
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:34 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
When doing blu-ray, there is no reason for a feature to only be 7.7gb and with such a low rate -- at least not with the current technology.
Just to be clear, the 7.7 GB file size is for the video only - the full size of the feature (video + 5 audio tracks + subtitles) is 14.8 GB. The average video bitrate I listed is also just that - the average bitrate for the video stream only. (sorry to single you out bgart13 - just wanted to clarify!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
No offence to anyone, but this is only one review.
None taken.

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Thanks for clarifying that gb info, Kevin -- I realized that too. But, 7.7gb is still too small for a feature film's video transfer. I do hope the finalized disc is a wee bit more (technically) more impressive. I'd certainly like Arrow to knock this one out of the park, I really do.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:31 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Guys, I'm temporarily closing this thread as this discussion isn't going anywhere but round in circles. It will be reopened once there is official word from Arrow about the finalised disc and once these get to reviewers.
Old 27th April 2011, 07:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As the replacement discs are now out and have replaced (or should that be joined?) those from the first pressing, this thread is now open for business!
Old 27th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

BluBrew.com remains largely unimpressed with the corrected disk:

Quote:
Unfortunately disappointing. The Beyond debuts on blu-ray with a transfer that certainly isn’t bad at every turn, but far from ideal. Instantly noticeable about the transfer is the lacking detail and overall waxy appearance. Grain has been reduced, looking smeared most of the time. Some egregious sharpening is also present throughout the film, resulting in visible halo’s around edges on multiple occasions (here for example). Digital noise (not grain) is also frequently intrusive, popping up at random (here).

Contrary to Arrow’s first, uncorrected, version the contrast/levels here are noticeably improved – with black levels being far more consistent. Compression is improved, but the problems that seem inherent to the master cannot be fixed by a higher bitrate. Saturation is strong, with most colours looking natural – even though the palette is still too bright. Detail is at times adequate – beating out previous dvd-versions – but never as prominent as it should be.

One might blame the lackluster picture quality here on the age or low-budget nature of the film, but this is simply not the case. The unnecessary digital tampering in the transfer makes the film’s rich Techniscope cinematography look harsh and digital. With proper care The Beyond could undoubtedly look far better than its current state.
The Beyond
Old 27th April 2011, 11:26 AM
Cultist

Well, it's the best I've ever seen The Beyond - I'm not qualified to pass judgement but I thought the corrected disc was excellent qulaity.
Old 27th April 2011, 12:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo37 View Post
Well, it's the best I've ever seen The Beyond - I'm not qualified to pass judgement but I thought the corrected disc was excellent qulaity.
I don't think anyone is 'qualified' to pass judgement as everyone will have an opinion over whether a film is good or not, whether it looks brilliant or terrible, sounds amazing or really muffled. I review DVDs and BDs, yet I haven't had to sit an exam!

There will likely be some issues upon which everyone can agree, but its ultimately up to each individual viewer to decide whether they like the film and the disc or not, so there's no right or wrong answer.

Like this? Share it using the links below!