Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2011, 11:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Arrow On Blu

At Xmas I am going to be buying a full 1080 HD TV with a blu ray player (arn't I lucky). And I want your honest truth, are Arrow & Shameless worth buying in blu form rather then dvd.

Because I have heard that some films are better in blu then others - eg 28 Days in shit on blu apparently.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

There are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account, source material, transfer, the way the film was originally shot. Your best checking reviews before you buy something. Many Blu-rays look a lot better than the DVD versions but dome not much better. You also have to take size of the telly into account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27th September 2011, 12:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

There's a few Arrow releases that looked great but a few I weren't too keen on either.
My favourite releases for PQ are Vamp, The Funhouse and The Beyond. They all look fantastic but the others are just okay I guess.

28 Days Later is definitely not worth the upgrade as there really isn't any upgrade at all PQ wise.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 27th September 2011, 01:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

28 DAYS LATER was shot on DV, that’s why its flaws are accentuated on Blu-ray. But what about the sound? People seem obsessed with the supposedly better picture quality but the sound, in most cases, is far better (a lot richer) than that offered on DVD.

Of the Arrow Blu-ray’s I’ve got, those worthy of an upgrade are the aforementioned VAMP and Argento’s PHENOMENA are both very good. I own a fair few of the others but haven’t gotten around to watching those yet. I did watch Brian De Palma’s OBSESSION, and while the PQ isn’t a massive leap from DVD (the film was show mostly soft-focus) the exclusive special features and the reproduction Schrader script more than make up for it.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:26 PM
Ex-member

Default Arrow On Blu

I read SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is another blu ray to be avoided as its crap, way it was filmed etc. and better to stick to dvd which I have anyway
I have FRENCH CONNECTION 1 & 2 blu ray and was aware of esp. the first fillm of the 'documentary style' being grainy etc. but pleased anyway as they are two of my fave films and more extras than previous dvds
Only buy blu rays if really necessary
Old 27th September 2011, 01:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm not entirely convinced Blu-ray beats DVD everytime, that's why I only buy BDs for the films I love.DVD suffices for all others and is still cheaper too.Do your research (read reviews and visit forums like Cult Labs to get opinions) before buying imo.
Hammer time likes this.

Last edited by Vampix; 28th September 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
I have FRENCH CONNECTION 1 & 2 blu ray and was aware of esp. the first fillm of the 'documentary style' being grainy etc. but pleased anyway as they are two of my fave films and more extras than previous dvds
Only buy blu rays if really necessary

I've not seen the FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-ray, James but it caused a lot of controversy because Friedkin revised the colour-timing, leaving the film looking bereft of most colour and with a somewhat bleached look.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:45 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I've not seen the FRENCH CONNECTION Blu-ray, James but it caused a lot of controversy because Friedkin revised the colour-timing, leaving the film looking bereft of most colour and with a somewhat bleached look.
Yeah I read about the alterations by Friedkin but still satisfied with the blu rays
the reviews I read were positive really, of course there was criticism, but I would of bought them nevertheless
Old 27th September 2011, 02:43 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
28 Days Later is definitely not worth the upgrade as there really isn't any upgrade at all PQ wise.
I disagree. Yeah, it looks "bad" as it's taken from an SD source, but compared to the DVD, you lose blocky compression artifacts. the picture does look better. And the last bit... Looks amazing.
And as Paul said, the sound is much improved.

But yeah, it's not something I'd recommend picking up unless it's really cheap.

Quote:
My favourite releases for PQ are Vamp
Agreed with this (although I haven't yet got anything after The Beyond so it could change) this, and Dawn of the Dead are probably my top arrow Blus.
Old 27th September 2011, 02:53 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I'm not entirely convinced Blu-ray beats DVD everytime, that's why I only buy BDs for the films I love, DVD suffices for all others and is still cheaper too.Do your research (read reviews and visit forums like Cult Labs to get opinions) before buying imo.
I have never seen a dvdversion of a film that is better than the BD counterpart! Maybe Maniac but that is the only one i can think of on the top of My head!

Like this? Share it using the links below!