Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2013, 12:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm interested in seeing a few of them but the only one I feel slightly inclined to purchase is Persona.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:29 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Only one of those new announcements that tempts me is the Kurosawa one I reckon.
Just Persona for me.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Despite my love of samurai films, I've yet to see anything by Kurosawa. Which is the best Criterion blu to pick up for a newcomer - I'd assume I should probably start with Seven Samurai?
Old 5th January 2014, 10:40 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Seven Samurai is the benchmark Kurosawa Samurai film. Although, it's not a film I'm a massive fan of.

In fact, my favourite Kurosawa is actually High and Low which is far removed from his Samurai epics.
Jinx_Barkman, oaxaca and Nemesis like this.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I am pretty bad when it comes to watching long films, anything over 2 hours usually puts me off. I might pick up the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set - reading up on them they sound like just my cup of sake.
oaxaca likes this.
Old 5th January 2014, 11:11 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused View Post
Despite my love of samurai films, I've yet to see anything by Kurosawa. Which is the best Criterion blu to pick up for a newcomer - I'd assume I should probably start with Seven Samurai?
Yeah, probably The Seven Samurai, followed closely by Yojimbo.
Jinx_Barkman likes this.
Old 5th January 2014, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused View Post
I second bizarre eye's suggestion of High and Low. It's a terrific thriller and far better than the period Samurai pieces that Kurosawa ever did.

Although not on BD, I'd also highly recommend Red Beard - I loved it.

Edit - All your music have a couple of Criterion BDs under £14 - Tin Drum and Alambrista when I last checked.
Old 18th January 2014, 06:57 PM
Active Cultist

Watched The Ministry of Fear this afternoon - not too shabby. First 20 mins are first rate as Ray Milland is discharged from an asylum and encounters all kind of weird shit. Dullish plot mechanics take over a bit as they tend to do in these type of noirs but a cool seance livens things up before a rooftop shotout brings some excitement. A real groaner of a last scene is totally out of place and smells of studio insistence. Overall a solid 7/10.
Old 19th January 2014, 07:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

That's probably the same rating I would give it Joe. Not the best noir I've ever seen but one of the more enjoyable ones. That seance was definitely one of the highlights. The ending felt flat to me and slightly disjointed.
Old 22nd February 2014, 05:53 PM
Active Cultist

Finally got round to watching Fish Tank - what the hell kept me? This film is fantastic, brutal yet beautiful, like Mike Leigh meets Terence Malik. Andrea Arnold does a great job of keeping you guessing - is Michael Fassbinder a father figure or a seedy borderline paedo? Is Katie Jarvis a good person in shit circumstances or just a another soulless chav? You can probably guess the answers but you'll still love the finding out. The last 20 minutes or so when the epiphanies start piling up for our anti-heroine are breathtaking. Amazing film, amazing release - don't miss checking out Wasp in the extras, a first rate Danny Dyer movie - who knew?

Like this? Share it using the links below!