Like Tree2501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2019, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I think everyone looks amateur compared to Rigby, and probably Thrower in particular his expertise. There are better slasher books out there though I'm sure!
I think one problem is in the fact i'm not learning anything. Over half way through and there's nothing new, i'm no expert on slashers either, this is the first book i've read on the subject.
troggi likes this.
Old 22nd January 2019, 04:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just started another Bernard Taylor novel, The Moonstone Sickness. Promises to be a Wicker Man type folk-horror.

What's feeding my resurgent pulp-horror obsession at the moment is a series of fanzines I discovered over at the Vault of Evil board. I missed the first four issues but issues 1-3 have been reprinted as an omnibus with bonus material - some really nice articles here covering a wide range of horror genres, and impossible not to influence your reading list if you have a hankering for the good old days of the 70s and 80s, when horror ruled the bookshelves. They are available through Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collectedpulphorror.jpg (20.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg pulphorrormummy.jpg (20.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th February 2019, 05:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Just started another Bernard Taylor novel, The Moonstone Sickness. Promises to be a Wicker Man type folk-horror.
I finished The Moonstone Sickness and it was exactly what it promised to be except with a nice identity theft twist to The Wicker Man style denouement.

I've now moved to another Bernard Taylor novel re-printed by Valencourt Books: Sweetheart, Sweetheart which is a ghost story.
Demoncrat, troggi and bleakshaun like this.
Old 16th February 2019, 05:44 PM
Cult Addict

Back into the old books and have started reading today William Hjortsbergs Falling Angel. I'll be back soon
Demoncrat, troggi and Rob4 like this.

Last edited by bleakshaun; 16th February 2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Mistyped Title
Old 16th February 2019, 06:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A bit of Lovecraftian horror in Mike Mignola's "The Doom That Came to Gotham". Yes it's Batman, folks, but not as you know him! This is one of the best graphic novels that I've read (and I've got through a few, let me tell you). It's part of the "ELSEWORLDS" occasional series and, being a Mignola story, very dark.

My ickle girl, The-Daughter-of-Darkness, bought it for me for my birthday and now she wants to borrow it! Mmm! Do you think...?

Monster Magnet
Old 16th February 2019, 06:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
A bit of Lovecraftian horror in Mike Mignola's "The Doom That Came to Gotham". Yes it's Batman, folks, but not as you know him! This is one of the best graphic novels that I've read (and I've got through a few, let me tell you). It's part of the "ELSEWORLDS" occasional series and, being a Mignola story, very dark.

My ickle girl, The-Daughter-of-Darkness, bought it for me for my birthday and now she wants to borrow it! Mmm! Do you think...?
One of my favourite batman stories

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 20th February 2019, 11:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished Shock And Awe. To all intense purposes ... it's really his Bowie book tbh. Recommended.
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th February 2019, 01:40 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Finished Shock And Awe. To all intense purposes ... it's really his Bowie book tbh. Recommended.
I've just finished that book too, given me a few more musical avenues to explore aside from the Bowie/Roxy/Bolan axis. I thought the last section leading up to the end of his (Bowie's) life was very poignant.
I enjoy his writing as a whole , he manages to combine the personal vs. analytical viewpoints well (sensed a palpable dislike of Steve Harley!).
Oh, and Gary Glitter - "I Didn't Know I Loved You (til I saw you Rock'n'Roll) is basically Killing Jokes' "Tension" five years before...
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.
Old 20th February 2019, 05:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted!!!

Acquired his Retromania from same mate I got S&A from. I remember when him and The Stud Brothers ran Melody Maker etc etc.
Doctors Of Madness semi rule

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd February 2019, 06:23 PM
Cult Addict

Finished Falling Angel, years since I read so gonna definitely watch Angel Heart tonight after reading this.
Recommended for sure

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!