Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2012, 11:11 AM
Ex-member

Question CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST on Blu-ray - Problems with sound!

I watched my Shameless BR of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST for the first time last night, since having it stuck on my shelves since the original day of release, and my copy seems to exhibit some quite iffy audio/picture-synchronisation issues.

There are large moments of the film, when the sound is about 1 second ahead of the image, so people's mouths and their voices are out-of-sync. Most previous releases haven't exhibited this issue, with the odd moment when the actor on-screen isn't speaking in English, and their voice has been dubbed.

The problem appeared worse on the Ruggero Deodato New Edit version of the film, but was occasionally noticeable on the original version on the same disc, also. Is my copy faulty, or does everyone else's Shamless BR version exhibit this same problem? I am playing the disc via a Sony BR player connected via an HDMI lead to my Panasonic Viera TV, and using just the TV's speakers.

Other member's help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 12th May 2012, 02:40 PM
Cult Rookie

Yeah i noticed the sound was out of sync at round about the half way mark but i didn't complain as the whole package seemed a bit cheap to me anyway so i wasn't amazed to find this problem with it and i intend to buy it again anyway when a better package is released in another country
Old 12th May 2012, 02:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw285 View Post
Yeah i noticed the sound was out of sync at round about the half way mark but i didn't complain as the whole package seemed a bit cheap to me anyway so i wasn't amazed to find this problem with it and i intend to buy it again anyway when a better package is released in another country
Whaa? 'Cheap package'? In what way? It's a fantastic release, marred only by the lack of an uncut film, an issue to do with the Uk's embarrassingly outdated stance on film censorship which has nothing to do with Shameless.

I have to be honest, I didn't notice any round issues although I am planning on watching it again so will let you know.
Old 12th May 2012, 03:03 PM
Cult Rookie

Well you had two versions of the film and the extras all cramed on to one disc so the bit rate was compromised the extras which were meant to be HD looked like upscaled SD to me and there have been far more extras on the previously released DVDs so all in all it came across as a pretty cheap package the disc would have benefited greatly if they had dropped that 'New Edit' nonsense and concentrate on getting the best sound and picture on the longest available version then maybe there wouldn't be sync issues and maybe the picture would've looked richer and stronger but as it is i don't regret getting it as it 's the only Blu-Ray that was available, i was interested in seeing the extras and i already have the Ultrabit edition uncut on DVD
Old 12th May 2012, 03:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Well you had two versions of the film and the extras all cramed on to one disc so the bit rate was compromised the extras which were meant to be HD looked like upscaled SD to me and there have been far more extras on the previously released DVDs so all in all it came across as a pretty cheap package the disc would have benefited greatly if they had dropped that 'New Edit' nonsense and concentrate on getting the best sound and picture on the longest available version then maybe there wouldn't be sync issues and maybe the picture would've looked richer and stronger but as it is i don't regret getting it as it 's the only Blu-Ray that was available, i was interested in seeing the extras and i already have the Ultrabit edition uncut on DVD
I disagree. It was on a 50gb disc so by that line of thought all single-layered bluray discs are a waste of time and have compromised AV quality.
Old 12th May 2012, 03:40 PM
Cult Rookie

This film has jungle scenes in broad daylight and yet the bit rate hardly ever goes higher than 14mbs per second these scenes on any other disc i have average the mid 20s sometimes even higher but this disc can't do that because the storage space has been pushed to the limit, if they wanted to they could put another two hours of stuff on this disc and it would still fit but that would compromise the bit rate further, just because you can it doesn't mean you should because the quality will be compromised, if you can get hold of Blue Underground's release of The Living Dead The Manchester Morgue a film with a low budget and made 5 years before Cannibal Holocaust compare the picture and compare the bit rate and you'll see what i'm talking about.

I'm not having a go at anyone but the data does speak for itself it's all there on the machine for everyone to look at.

This princible is not new when VHS recorders were made able to turn 4 hour tapes into 8 hour tapes the picture was compromised, compare 4 perforation widescreen Panavision to 2 perforation Techniscope and you'll see the difference, all these decsions were taken because of economic reasons and not quality control.
Old 12th May 2012, 03:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

To be honest, I thought it looked pretty damn good. But then I spent my time watching the film, not watching the fluctuating bitrate

Each to their own etc etc
Old 12th May 2012, 04:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
i don't regret getting it as it 's the only Blu-Ray that was available
There is a French BD but I don't know how it compares to the Shameless edition.

I sold my Shameless edition and is waiting for the Grindhouse BD. Which means a 10 year wait.
Daemonia likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 12th May 2012, 04:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
To be honest, I thought it looked pretty damn good. But then I spent my time watching the film, not watching the fluctuating bitrate
Personally I couldn't give a crap about all that. I watch a film to enjoy, not to get worked up about the disc space used or squat really close to the telly in the hope of spotting dirt or problems with compression etc.

But if that's what people like doing, then that's fine
Daemonia, Mojo, Gojirosan and 1 others like this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 13th May 2012, 11:23 AM
Ex-member

Exclamation

Robw285 - Thanks for confirming the issue. At least I know it's not just my disc, or my BR player.

Thread can be closed now, as it has served its purpose, and I don't want this to become a Shameless-bashing thread, or a CH-bashing thread.

Like this? Share it using the links below!