Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Cannibal Holocaust

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th May 2012, 09:17 AM
Ex-Member

I buy my Shameless stuff on dvd only and have Cannibal Holocaust on dvd. I think it looks outstanding and that's dvd so can't imagine what the BD looks like.
Old 14th May 2012, 03:03 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
There is a French BD but I don't know how it compares to the Shameless edition.

I sold my Shameless edition and is waiting for the Grindhouse BD. Which means a 10 year wait.
I'm aware of the French edition but i'm not sure if it's English friendly and lot of French discs lock on the subtitles when the English track is selected
Old 15th May 2012, 12:10 PM
Ex-member

Official Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw285 View Post
I'm aware of the French edition but i'm not sure if it's English friendly and lot of French discs lock on the subtitles when the English track is selected
As far as I'm aware, the French Blu-Ray of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST has either a French-language audio track, and/or the English audio track, but it plays with non-removeable French language subtitles.

As such, it's not a release I would recommend, even if it does contain the full uncut version of the original version of teh film. (It doesn't contain the 2011 "New Edit" by Deodato, from what I've heard.)
Old 15th May 2012, 02:36 PM
Cult Rookie

That's what i thought, it's pretty typical of French discs to lock on their subtitles, i think it's best to get it from an English speaking country so the spanish dialogue early in the film has English subtitles, when i first saw the film nearly 20 years ago it was from a Belgian VHS which had Dutch and French Subtitles on the screen at the same time so i don't want to go back to that.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult Rookie

Default The French Blu-ray.

I have the French Blu-ray and the French subtitles are not forced when watching the film in English. Quite a surprise for a French disc. The picture is quite nice. Not a huge leap up from DVD though and it has some of the nasty waxiness that we see all too often with Italian HD masters these days. Looking at screenshots from Shameless' disc I'd say it has the upper hand although having not seen it in motion I can't say for sure. The French disc is uncensored although it uses the shorter "Long Road To Hell" sequence. The extras are not English friendly.
Old 6th June 2012, 02:26 PM
Cult Rookie

Does it have the early scenes in spanish subtitled in English?
Old 8th June 2012, 06:40 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Does it have the early scenes in spanish subtitled in English?
No, unfortunately not.
Old 4th July 2012, 09:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
I intend to buy it again anyway when a better package is released in another country.
You and me both.

Quote:
I was interested in seeing the extras and i already have the Ultrabit edition uncut on DVD.
You and me both again!

Quote:
I sold my Shameless edition and is waiting for the Grindhouse BD. Which means a 10 year wait.
I'm keeping my Shameless DVD and BR releases purely for any collectable value they may attain in the future.

What? A mere decade's wait for GR's U.S. BR?! I think we'll be closer to retirement age before Sage Stallone and co. get their act together!

The protracted time period damn well better be worth it!
Old 4th July 2012, 09:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Quote:
Personally, I couldn't give a crap about all that. I watch a film to enjoy, not to get worked up about the disc space used or squat really close to the telly in the hope of spotting dirt or problems with compression etc. But if that's what people like doing, then that's fine.
Amen to that and as long as my fave films look good to me then i'm a happy bunny.
Pete likes this.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:00 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Well you had two versions of the film and the extras all cramed on to one disc so the bit rate was compromised the extras which were meant to be HD looked like upscaled SD to me and there have been far more extras on the previously released DVDs so all in all it came across as a pretty cheap package the disc would have benefited greatly if they had dropped that 'New Edit' nonsense and concentrate on getting the best sound and picture on the longest available version then maybe there wouldn't be sync issues and maybe the picture would've looked richer and stronger but as it is i don't regret getting it as it 's the only Blu-Ray that was available, i was interested in seeing the extras and i already have the Ultrabit edition uncut on DVD
I just ordered the disc. Now, if Shameless was INSISTING on a 1-disc release (i'm talking about the blu-ray ofcourse), why wasn't it seamlessly branched, considering there were a good deal of extras to cramp on to the disc too (and the disc IS "cramped", its a dual-layer disc and it uses the whole disc (~49gb). Really makes one wonder if the bitrates didn't suffer.

Havn't watched it yet ofcourse, but if there's synch issues on BOTH versions of the film, DESPITE it being non-seamlessly branched, then i...well, then i don't think i'll bother with more of Shameless' future Blu-Rays. And then we have the UK censorship. 14 secs cut. I'll hold on to both my Ultrabit and my Grindhouse UNcut releases (the latter has a version with milder animal cruelty too, and although its a 2-disc DVD, they've successfully done what Shameless should have done on the Blu-Ray: used seamless branching).

Like this? Share it using the links below!