Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
what is your favourite QT film? written or directed?

Like Tree225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2011, 12:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercrack View Post
Resevoir Dogs isn't original as it's a direct rip-off of the Chow Yun Fat film City on Fire.
it's not as if that is secret, QT himself has gone on record as saying that City On fire was a direct influence on Reservoir dogs.
Old 7th January 2011, 01:47 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I have been a Tarantino fan since about 1996 when I first saw Pulp Fiction. Being 14 I obviously thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen (and I still watch it quite regularly now). I saw Reservoir Dogs about a year later and was equally blown away.

Ever since then I have seen everything he's done theatrically (Jackie Brown was the first 15 I saw at the cinema, but I see my DVD is rated as 18 which is weird), and liked all of it, yes even Death Proof. In fact the big crash sequence with Stunt Man Mike and the first set of girls is one of my favourite scenes he’s ever directed. The music and timing is just so perfect it's hard not to love, plus I really enjoy the hell out of the end car sequence.

Even though I voted for Pulp Fiction on the poll I think my favourite thing Tarantino has written is True Romance. It's just so hard not to like. All the characters are perfectly cast, right down to Brad Pitts cameo as a stoner. There are so many memorable scenes: Drexel at his club, the Hopper/Walkin Scene, the shoot out at the hotel. I cant see how any cult film fan couldn't love this film. Even if the plot line of comic book/film nerd meets hooker with the heart of gold is obviously Tarantino’s personal wet dream.

The only thing that has a slightly annoyed me about Tarantino is that he's ruined some of my fun when it comes to collecting films. Just before Kill Bill came out I was quite happy researching Samurai films, finding DVDs in second hand shops and generally just being a cult film collector. Suddenly [b]Kill Bill[/]b arrives on the scene (and it was awesome and everything) and makes everyone’s a Samurai fan, and you can buy Zatochi box sets and Lady Snowblood collections in HMV. It's not like I'm some kind of snob who thinks films should be only available to a certain sub set of second hand shop, eBay dwelling geeks. It just ruined a little bit of the fun for me. The same thing happened to a lesser extent with Grindhouse.

As far as the whole, did he rip all his stuff off debate goes, its never really bothered me. The films are enjoyable, and different enough to be more that just a cut and paste job.

P.S. After re-reading that post I guess I should christen my self a Tarantino Fanboy.
Old 7th January 2011, 02:49 PM
Cult Rookie

Ahhh how can I have forgotten True Romance...it was probably the first DVD I ever purchased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7th January 2011, 03:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i will always maintain that True Romance is his best screenplay, as BZ said everything is perfect from cast to stand out scenes, and to have the audacity to say that all sicillians were spawned by blacks while being a very white man is just proof that the man knows how to write. There was a lot of critism from Spike Lee referring to the use of the N word in Jackie brown and how he found it very racist....not a single white person in any of Tarantino's films have ever said the word, Sam jackson was the only person in JB to utter the word, it's more offensive looking at Lee's early films and the use of the words Cracker, Honky etc when they're being uttered by black people.

True Romance is not only Tarantino's best Written Work but in my opinion it is Tony Scott's best directorial effort....
Old 7th January 2011, 03:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
not a single white person in any of Tarantino's films have ever said the word
Er...

"Is there a sign outside of my house saying, Dead Nigger Storage?"
Old 7th January 2011, 04:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

good point, i forgot that bit....bloody taluca lake jimmy and his racial slurs...
Old 7th January 2011, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Generally speaking, I still have a lot of fondness for QT, but there are two things about his work and its reception which have (and still do) annoy me:
-The Mid 90's "Pulp Fiction Hype" when every young filmmaker thought he could "do a Tarantino" with some "oh-so-clever dialogue" and (SUPPOSEDLY) "hip" characters...That made a great deal of "indie" flicks from that era not exactly appealing to me.
- For the benefit of the doubt I suppose it's only accidental that QT's personal "Catalogue of Grindhouse Cool" has become the stylistic bible for the whole "retro" movement, with again many filmmakers simply glancing at what seemed to work for "the man" instead of really developing individual priorities or actually reflecting on their personal tastes for the current stream of "B-Movie-Homages"- with Ti West's "The House of the Devil" being about the only completely "Tarantino-influence-free" "retro-experience" I can think of without too much digging in the back of my memory.
To cut it short: It's not QT himself who irritates me, it's the flock of filmmakers who're trying to fill out his shoes.

As far as his directorial efforts go I wished he'd helm another "Jackie Brown", but it would really excite me if he did far more scriptwriting for other directors, because his main strength lies within his words.
Old 7th January 2011, 07:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Pulp Fiction is a modern classic.The characters and story is great and it has a cast to kill for,although I wish he'd stay BEHIND the camera!

A close second would be Kill Bill.It has a fantastic fusion of everything thrown into the pot.
I just wonder when we in the UK will see the massacre scene in colour.
Even my French BD shows it in B&W,and the price of the Japanese OOP set is out of the question.

I've also a great love of Jackie Brown.Forster,Grier and Jackson were great.
I've got the French 3 Disc Edition-it's absolutely loaded with stuff!

Reservoir Dogs,whilst enjoyable is a bit overrated IMHO.
Great soundtrack though,and probably brought the sadly recently departed Gerry Rafferty to another generation of music fans.

KILL BILL VOL 2 Was something of an anti climax after the first episode.

DEATH PROOF was totally outgunned by PLANET TERROR I reckon.
Best thing about DP was Kurt Russell.

TRUE ROMANCE-Another classic,with again,a stellar cast and some brilliant dialogue.

Inglorious Basterds was not bad.It did go on a bit though....Eli Roth's 'Jew Bear' was hilarious though!

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN I love,but then most of Rodriguez's output is great!

Can't wait for MACHETE now....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th January 2011, 07:52 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

For all my whinning about how he annoys me, I actually do like his work. Reservoir Dogs was the 1st film of his that I bought. Got it on an American laserdisc in Tower Records in Glasgow, back in the good old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7th January 2011, 10:31 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Reservoir Dogs,whilst enjoyable is a bit overrated IMHO.
Great soundtrack though,and probably brought the sadly recently departed Gerry Rafferty to another generation of music fans.
The only Gerry Rafferty music I have is the Music he did with Billy Connolly when they were in The Humblebums together.

Like this? Share it using the links below!