Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2011, 10:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Machete may well have been more Grindhouse than Planet Terror (or Death Proof) but Planet Terror was more my kind of film. I liked the references to other movies and, of course Rose McGowan
Machete felt too long and drawn out, and didn't live up to the trailer as much as I'd hoped it would. Still enjoyed it though! Hobo with a Shotgun blasted both films out of the Grindhouse reference ball park.

I recently watched Desperado on Blu-Ray. Great picture and great sound. Recommended! It's a US disc but plays on A/B/C regions. Still to watch El Mariachi though
Old 6th July 2011, 11:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Machete may well have been more Grindhouse than Planet Terror (or Death Proof) but Planet Terror was more my kind of film. I liked the references to other movies and, of course Rose McGowan
Machete felt too long and drawn out, and didn't live up to the trailer as much as I'd hoped it would. Still enjoyed it though! Hobo with a Shotgun blasted both films out of the Grindhouse reference ball park.

I recently watched Desperado on Blu-Ray. Great picture and great sound. Recommended! It's a US disc but plays on A/B/C regions. Still to watch El Mariachi though
You've never seen El Mariachi or never watched on BluRay?
If you've never seen it, You're waaaay behind!
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust View Post
You've never seen El Mariachi or never watched on BluRay?
If you've never seen it, You're waaaay behind!
No, it's a triple dip: VHS/DVD/BR - I skipped straight to Desperado when I got the Double Bill on BR recently. El Mariachi is good but I wanted to see Salma in HiDef
Old 7th July 2011, 12:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
No, it's a triple dip: VHS/DVD/BR - I skipped straight to Desperado when I got the Double Bill on BR recently. El Mariachi is good but I wanted to see Salma in HiDef
An El Mariachi/Desperado double bill? What about Once Upon A Time In Mexico? I know it isn't the greatest of films but still part of the series!
Old 7th July 2011, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
wanted to see Salma in HiDef
Does anyone know if From Dusk Till Dawn has been seen a BluRay release yet?
It would be nicer to see Selma as an exotic dancer in the HD!
Old 7th July 2011, 01:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Does anyone know if From Dusk Till Dawn has been seen a BluRay release yet?
It would be nicer to see Selma as an exotic dancer in the HD!
Here you are: From Dusk Till Dawn Region-Free Blu-ray Blu-ray Movie Online, Movies Shop, Film Plot Summary, Sales, Movie Trailer

There's also a Region A US Blu - but I heard somewhere that it might be a good idea to stick with the Canadian release.

Greetings!
Old 7th July 2011, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Here you are: From Dusk Till Dawn Region-Free Blu-ray Blu-ray Movie Online, Movies Shop, Film Plot Summary, Sales, Movie Trailer

There's also a Region A US Blu - but I heard somewhere that it might be a good idea to stick with the Canadian release.

Greetings!

Yeah, stick with the Canadian release. The new US release is poor. As for an earlier question about the double bill; both films are on the same disc. I haven't replaced OUATIM yet. May do at some point....
Old 7th July 2011, 04:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

A good director by and large - I think he's a more talented and interesting film-maker than Tarantino (to make the obvious comparison) as the large difference in quality between their respective parts of Grindhouse attests quite plainly.

Not a huge fan of all of his films, don't think From Dusk Till Dawn stands up to repeated viewing s(though I enjoyed it the first time at the cinema) and Planet Terror wasn't that great (though it was mostly fun ), it was just so much better than Death Proof that you're fooled into thinking it's great if you watch Grindhouse as a single experience. I wasn't overly taken with The Faculty, but I can't remember it that well and would like to give it another chance.

The Mariachi films are sublime especially the under-rated Once Upon A Time In Mexico which I thought was a riotous triumph. Sin City is excellent and powerful, I loved Roadracers and thought Machete was a good laugh.

I haven't seen any of his kids' films, I'd like to give them a go.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rodriguez's 'The Black Mamba'
Best Nike commercial i've ever seen!

antmumford likes this.
Old 22nd July 2011, 03:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Rodriguez's 'The Black Mamba'
Best Nike commercial i've ever seen!

That is just toooooooo cool! Rodriguez is THE MAN!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!