• 2 Post By iank
  • 1 Post By JoshuaKaitlyn
  • 2 Post By Nosferatu@Cult Labs
  • 1 Post By keirarts
  • 1 Post By Demoncrat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2015, 09:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Taking of Pelham One Two Three, The (1974)

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

Taking of Pelham 123 (1974).jpg

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) an early 70's American thriller starring Walter Matthau as a member of the New York transit authority who finds himself the negotiator when a group of terrorists hijack a subway train.
The four terrorists are not the modern day terrorist types, these aren’t middle eastern jihadists who fight for what they believe in, religion, race and creed play no part in their demands these are four ordinary 'joes' whose only motivation is greed. Led by Robert Shaw they demand a million dollars and threaten to kill a hostage for every minute that the authorities waste in getting them the doe! They aren’t fooling around either as they make good on their promise when some trigger happy cop in the tunnel where the train has stopped fires off a single shot resulting in a fire fight and the subsequent demise of one of the hostages.
Naming themselves after the colours of the hats they wear Blue, Green, Grey and Brown, its Mr Grey who is the psychopath among the group. Played by Hector Elizondo who usually, (in later years), plays more mellowed out roles such as the concierge Barney Thompson in 1990's 'Pretty Woman'. Grey is the one who refuses to take orders from Shaw’s Mr Blue who has everything planned to the minutest detail. Martin Balsam is Mr Green, who should really have been more careful where and when he sneezed, and Mr Brown is played by Earl Hindman who would go on to play Bob Reid in the long running US soap 'Ryan's Hope (1975-1989), and later would play Wilson, the guy forever behind the garden fence in Tim Allen's comedy 'Home Improvement'. Jerry Stiller, (father of Ben), also makes an appearance as a transit cop Rico Patrone.
The film has a great 70's score written by David Shire, whose wife at the time, Talia Shire, suggested that the end theme be more 'expansive' and it almost bookends the film after the exciting opening the ending gives a sense of the city returning to normality with the crisis now passed. It went on to be nominated for a BAFTA award for Best Film Music in 1975 losing out to John Williams for both his scores for 'Jaws' and 'The Towering Inferno'.
The result of the film led the real New York transit authority to ban any train leaving the Pelham station at 1:23 for many years and although that ban has been lifted schedulers still generally avoid said station with time.
A TV remake was released in 1998 starring Vincent D'Onofrio in the role of Mr. Blue and Donnie Wahlberg in the role of Mr. Grey. Then in 2009 a big budget remake was released, directed by Tony Scott it starred Denzel Washington in Matthau’s role and John Travolta as 'Blue'.

Last edited by JoshuaKaitlyn; 6th September 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 5th September 2015, 10:45 AM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Another brilliant review! Great stuff, Joshua.

The Taking Of Pelham 123 is such a great thriller. I had no idea it starred Home Improvement's Wilson though! I've got the videodisc of this film in my collection which looks pretty awesome - I just need to get a player to watch it

Looking forward to some more reviews in the future
keirarts and JoshuaKaitlyn like this.
Old 5th September 2015, 05:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
[CENTER]The Taking of Pelham 123 (1974)

Naming themselves after the colours of the hats they wear Blue, Green, Grey and Brown.
Excellent review of a classic crime thriller.

I believe it was this which gave Quentin Tarantino the idea to do the same anonymous naming with the principal characters in Reservoir Dogs.

I'm not sure which is the proper title, but my DVD and Blu-ray both say The Taking of Pelham One Two Three on the cover, with the Tony Scott remake The Taking of Pelham 123.
Old 5th September 2015, 09:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

This is a really good film. Probably due for a rewatch, in fact!
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 6th September 2015, 09:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

I believe it was this which gave Quentin Tarantino the idea to do the same anonymous naming with the principal characters in Reservoir Dogs.

I'm not sure which is the proper title, but my DVD and Blu-ray both say The Taking of Pelham One Two Three on the cover, with the Tony Scott remake The Taking of Pelham 123.
Amended! I'm usually OCD as this sort of thing! As for the Tarantino connection I did think that myself.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th September 2015, 10:53 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
Amended! I'm usually OCD as this sort of thing! As for the Tarantino connection I did think that myself.
I wasn't sure which way you wanted it, so it was more of a suggestion/question than anything else. I've amended the thread title to match your review title.
Old 6th September 2015, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict

Great review of a great movie!
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.
Old 10th September 2015, 03:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Well, twas a mixture of this and City On Fire that he pinched, er homaged sorry.....
JoshuaKaitlyn likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!