Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

View Poll Results: Should Arrow continue to release Limited versions of Arrow Video titles?
Yes 159 79.90%
No 40 20.10%
Voters: 199. This poll is closed

Like Tree87Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:27 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Default Should Arrow continue to release Limited Editions?

Before casting your vote, you may wish to read through the thread to see various arguments for and against so that you can make an informed choice.

Arrow are curious as to whether fans want them to continue releasing the Limited Editions of their titles, or just stick with the Dual Format Unlimited Editions (releasing special Limited Editions such as Battle Royale or the Demons SteelBook on some occasions).

Please see their question below:

Quote:
We have noticed an overwhelmingly positive response to our Unlimited Dual Format Editions that has made us wonder – do the fans still want the Limited Editions?

The Limited Editions are like the previous releases, and for uniformity, Blu-ray only, with the cardboard, windowed slipbox with a four panel reversible sleeve, a Blu-ray disc, poster and booklet vs. the Unlimited version which would contain the a standard Blu-ray case with a tray, and a reversible sleeve with one alternate image, Blu-ray and DVD discs and a booklet.
Arrow have also said that Limited versions would be more expensive than Unlimited due to the added cost in producing them. This equates to roughly a £5 difference in the RRP of the two products.

Please give your answer in the poll and leave any comments or questions in the thread. Arrow are also happy to answer any questions during this poll so I'll be checking in to pass any on and give any answers. The poll will remain open for 10 days.

Even if you're a bit indifferent (e.g. not an avid collector but you buy the odd title) still make sure you vote. The views of occasional consumers are also very useful!

Just for illustration, below are the images of the Limited and Unlimited versions of House By The Cemetery.

The Limited Version:

The Unlimited Version:

You can also find more information on Limited/Unlimited editions here.

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 22nd March 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I suspect I will be in the minority here, but I want films, not fancy packages above all, nice as limited editions can be. These are very difficult times for film and video distribution, especially out of the mainstream, and any thing that can save money that could be allocated to the acquisition, restoration and release of more films is a step a whole-heartedly support.

The Dual Format releases still look great and so the physical presence of the artifact is assured.

I would be quite happy to sacrifice the Limited Editions.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I say YES, absolutely. For me, the extra care taken in the package, the slipcase, the alternate artworks etc are what defines Arrow Video's BD editions. 101 Films even copied it for ISOYG, it's that well known. To take that away, for me, seems a massive shame. Frankly, I couldn't care less about dual format releases. Why would I want a DVD copy, when I've bought the BD? To let the kids watch in their rooms? Erm, no. To watch in the car? I'll just watch something else!

Dawn of the Dead was my first AV purchase, and what lured me in originally was the packaging. If I've dropped around £20 on a release, I want a hefty package in my hands (oo-er) to justify it. Much like I buy an album on vinyl over CD, I'm paying a premium, so I like a thick cut jacket, lyric sheets etc.

And it would be a shame to lose the uniformity of previous releases.

Whilst I agree with Goj above that the film is what is of ultimate importance, why not package it with care as well? You'd be pretty gutted if your $200 steak came on a paper plate!
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I voted with Yes before I read the text, then I read it and still do not want to change the vote

I love the limited packaging and see no point in the dual releases, most of the films are in a banned stage here anyhow, so I might tread on illegal paths if I take a DVD to a friend and we watch it there and a minor steps in - so please, save me from that risk and keep the limited editions a-coming! (ok, that illegal part was funny, but maybe a lil constructed, but ask Kyle, I think I am am a rather funny guy )
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:55 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Arrow have also asked me to mention the price factor. Limited Editions would be more expensive due to the added cost producing them. An approximation would be a £5 difference in the RRP of Limited and Unlimited versions.

I'll also add this info to the original post.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
You'd be pretty gutted if your $200 steak came on a paper plate!

Would you?

I don't eat steak, but I can't imagine this would bother me in the slightest!

Do people really spend $200 on a bit of beef?
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haha, yep! Wagyu beef is some crazy expensive stuff!
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:04 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

My own personal view is that while posters, slipcases etc. are nice, I'd rather have the films and plenty of them.

Unlimited Editions are cheaper to produce, keeping overheads down and therefore freeing up more money for restoration and for acquiring more titles. In a struggling industry, that's important and I'd rather see Arrow keep releasing films.

But I can see why others would still like the posters etc. so it'll be interesting to see the results of the poll!
platostotal likes this.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:11 AM
Active Cultist

i have loads of double and triple play blus and i dont think i have found a use for any of them yet, so i don't care at all about the unlimited having a dvd copy.
i do think that it gives an added incentive to double dip collectors and encourages them to buy both versions, which may be good for sales but i suppose there's always the possibility of fan backlash if they feel their obsessive collector disorders are being excessively exploited.
also the limited versions hopefully would sell quickly and make arrow some money?
or is it more a case that the limited versions are pure fan service and arrow wont make more or less either way?
whatever keeps arrow up and running i think would be the best option, i'm quite fearful for the fate of many blu ray companies at the moment.
personally though i would buy the limited versions, even with the price mark up. they're specialer.
and please house by the cemetary HAS TO have the limited release, darnit i want my arrow gates of hell blu trilogy to be consistent.

so in summary i vote yes keep the limited as long as it isn't detrimental to arrow's health. and dont screw me on HBTC. thanks!
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

What's the price difference between limited and unlimited?
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!