Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

Poll: WHO'S THE DADDY?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
WHO'S THE DADDY?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2009, 06:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Cushing pips it for me too. I used to love seeing him in interviews..... he was a typical English thesbian. Everything with him was "my dear boy" with an air of Actor (with the capital "A"). He could also play comedy and drama with equal conviction.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Last edited by DeadAlive; 28th January 2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 28th January 2009, 06:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Peter Cushing for me.
Old 28th January 2009, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
Cushing pips it for me too. I used to love seeing him in interviews..... he was a typical English thesbian. Everything with him was "my dear boy" with an air of Actor (with the capital "A"). He could also play comedy and drama with equal conviction.
Yes Cushing's comedy was also much underrated. He was unforgettable on Morecambe & Wise (did the poor sod ever get paid?) , and he also turned up with an oversized eyeball and talking fluent backwardese in Top Secret.

Last edited by vincenzo; 29th January 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I think I read Cushing would often add bits on to his lines for fun to see how the other actor would respond.
Can anyone confirm this.?
Old 29th January 2009, 11:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I think I read Cushing would often add bits on to his lines for fun to see how the other actor would respond.
Can anyone confirm this.?
Used to carry his own props too.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:53 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Outside of Dracula,(which I understand,he despises)
He doesn't despise Dracula - he actually likes the first one he did for Hammer - but he was totally disillusioned with the Hammer sequels because of how far removed the character was from Stoker's novel. Who can blame him when seeing some of what he has to do in those films? Taste the Blood is a great film, but is a mockery of Dracula's evil qualities as he's relegated to a boo hiss panto villain lurking in the shadows. His dialogue in this, "They have destroyed my servant. They will be destroyed" and "The firssssssst (etc)" is laughable. However, when giving Isla Blair her lovebite, being repulsed by the crucifix and throwing dangerous items around he is back on form thanks to Lee the actor and not Lee the spouter of crap dialogue. Scars of Dracula, for all its flaws is actually a lot more faithful to Stoker's book than their original interpretation so I'm sure Lee must have found some gratification from that.

He has said a number of times he'd STILL like to play Dracula if they did it as in the book. He's certainly old enough to carry off the older Count without much makeup. Franco's version is probably the best we're gonna see of Lee in that capacity and those early moments certainly do service to both Stoker and Count Dracula.

Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are completely different actors. It's magic when they are onscreen together and those duels, particularly in Dracula '58 and A.D. 72, show great actors giving plenty of value for money. Just look at Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. Cushing vs John Forbes Robertson lacked chemistry and tension. Cushing didn't seem to rise to the challenge like in the previous Dracula films, but how he managed to do the scene with JFR without laughing his head off is testament to his professionalism. Unlike the laughable JFR, even at his worst looking as Dracula (Scars), Christopher Lee had the ability to still make Dracula look like a nightmare in a cape. His screen presence alone makes Christopher Lee one of the greatest actors of all time (I happen to think that 70's Lee has him looking at his fanged best).

Anyone who dismisses Lee as inferior to Cushing really should take time out to look at his portrayal in The Curse of Frankenstein and The Mummy. In both of these films a mute Lee is mesmerising and his height, appearance and sympathetic performance make him a scene stealer. His eyes are a pair of fantastic little actors and like Dracula, he portrays torment in a most moving way. That is one helluva feat for these monstrous of men.

Peter Cushing is definitely more engaging than Lee as the hero and can be thrilling as the villain, but Christopher Lee has presence in stillness and action that makes him the focal viewpoint in many films. The Devil Rides out features a relaxed and believable figure to get behind in times of crisis. He is a fantastic hero in this film and it is a shame he never got more roles of this ilk.

Peter Cushing would never be able to play monstrous roles the way that Lee does (also include mad monks, pagan leaders and devilish priests) and Christopher Lee in turn could never be the match for Cushing's Baron, the heroic Van Helsing, quaint antiques shop proprietors, eccentrics like Dr. Abner Perry or loveable heroes like Arthur Grimsdyke. Nor could Lee pull off frenzy the way Cushing could. Take a look at The Skull, Corruption and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed for examples of this. Another villainous role Lee could never better would be that of Gustav Weil in Twins of Evil. Arguably Cushing's greatest performance in a role where lessons are learnt.

Some say Lee can't do comedy, but I totally disagree. His performance in The Rainbow Thief is hysterical. He is both chilling and very witty in the Three and Four Musketeers, laugh out loud so in Serial, and doesn't mind sending himself up when in the likes of Gremlins 2 and 1941.

For these reasons and many more I believe that they are both worth admiring as standalone talents. By bringing so many different qualities to these films I think we should just count ourselves lucky as horror fans that we are being supplied with such riches. Adding a grander scale to films undeserving of it, I personally don't feel I have to choose the better actor for they are both brilliant and I can see so time and time again via what they've left us with on the screen.
artisturn likes this.

Last edited by dracucarr; 29th January 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 29th January 2009, 01:36 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Lee also sent himself up well as the poker-faced Latin teacher (aptly nicknamed 'Raptor') in the brilliant A Feast At Midnight.
Old 29th January 2009, 03:44 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Lee also sent himself up well as the poker-faced Latin teacher (aptly nicknamed 'Raptor') in the brilliant A Feast At Midnight.
And it must be said he is a big softie at heart in it too. For those who don't like Mr Lee then there's a moment to savour during the cricket match. The standout for me is the very funny Jurassic Park homage with Raptor on this prowl in the kitchen. This is another personal favourite of Lee's, which alongside Jinnah hasn't had a big enough audience unfortunately. Checkout The Stupids for another wacky role as the evil Mr Sender. Damn him though for making me buy Police Academy 7, lol. He certainly is required to do certain things neither he nor we are accustomed to seeing
Old 29th January 2009, 05:56 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The kitchen scene in Feast is a work of art. In fact the whole film is superb with some excellent performances. Young Freddie Findlay is terrific and coincidentally he played young Alexei in the Alan Rickman TV version of Rasputin the following year.
Old 29th January 2009, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nobody is dismissing Lee as an inferior actor,it's a matter of what's your personal favourite between the two,and in my personal opinion I prefer watching Cushing.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!