Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   Hammer on DVD/BD Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/345-hammer-dvd-bd-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 12:28 AM

Hammer on DVD/BD Thread

Discuss all things HAMMER HORROR here folks:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 12:30 AM

Does anyone know if the picture aspect on Legend of the seven Golden Vampires on region 2 is better than the abus version.....tonight was the first time watching it on a Wega and the ratio was tiny in the middle of the screen..

vincenzo 9th May 2008 12:34 AM

I haven't seen the U.S release (which has better extras) but the UK DVD is pretty good, anamorphic, and fully uncut.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 12:36 AM

Anamorphic...that's the word I wanted to hear Vince,will pick this up tomorrow.....cheers mate...:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 12:37 AM

Was there not a batch of Hammer's due for release by a major this year?

Angel 9th May 2008 06:16 AM

They showed a PG version of Golden Vampires on Zone Horror. It must have looked ridiculous with all the cuts.

mark meakin 9th May 2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 5159)
I haven't seen the U.S release (which has better extras) but the UK DVD is pretty good, anamorphic, and fully uncut.

I have the OOP US dvd which also contains the drastically reduced US version running about 72 minutes & I would say that the r2 Warner release (which I also own) is better looking.The shorter US cut spoils this daft but hugely entertaining film but itr's nice to own it as an extra.I think there is a good comparison of both here from Zeta Minor:-

The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

UK - Warner Home Video

Previous VHS versions were pan-and-scanned, and cut by about ten seconds. Warner Home Video's DVD version is presented uncut, in anamorphic 2.35:1 format, with mono audio. The disc features a new transfer which is a big improvement on Anchor Bay's US version. No bonus features. English HoH subtitles. Zeta Minor review

US - Anchor Bay Entertainment

Another early Anchor Bay release, this one suffers from a non-anamorphic transfer, but at least it's in its original 2.35:1 ratio. It also has a terrible sleeve! On the plus side, you get a whole bonus movie, albeit the bastardised American version of Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, titled The 7 Brothers Meet Dracula, and an audio presentation of the film's soundtrack album, which features a truncated version of the film with linking narration. The disc does not have English closed captions or subtitles. Zeta Minor review

The film was re-released by Anchor Bay at the end of 2003 as a double-bill with Frankenstein Created Woman. The two-disc set contains all the bonus features of the original discs. Anchor Bay's rights have expired, and both the standalone disc and the double-bill version have been deleted.

mark meakin 9th May 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5162)
Was there not a batch of Hammer's due for release by a major this year?

Sony are finally getting their act together & releasing The Stranglers Of Bombay,Terror Of The Tongs & Devilship Pirates among others & I've also read on Marc Morris's new forum that the rarely screened Two Faces of Dr Jekyll may also be coming out.Legend films in the US has also obtained the rights to release The Man Who Could Cheat Death in the summer.It's shaping up to be a good year for us Hammer fans.:)See here for more info & there is a picture of The Icons Of Adventure sleeve now up on amazon Uk:-
http://www.cultmovieforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=13370

mark meakin 9th May 2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 5168)
They showed a PG version of Golden Vampires on Zone Horror. It must have looked ridiculous with all the cuts.

I saw it & yes the cuts were way over the top totally spoiling the movie.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 02:15 PM

Thanks for that marc:cool:....trawled all over Glasgow today looking for LOT7GV warner disc,but not a sod had it and the super friendly staff of hmv and zavvi:rolleyes:were as helpful as ever....:(got it from amazon for 3 quid:)