Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > The Damage Depot > Damage Depot Presents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TheSpirit Send a message via Skype™ to TheSpirit

Please more films like this instead of bloody Spy Next Door.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Well his next one is Karate Kid, so unfortunately not for now.

Karate Kid? Why Karate Kid? I don't mean why do a remake as I think the film will be great but it's about a CHINESE man teaching a kid KUNG FU. Where in the story at all is there anything to do with JAPANESE KARATE???
It should be called KUNG FU KID. There are some Bloody idiots out there, there really is.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TheSpirit Send a message via Skype™ to TheSpirit

Yeah, and why would the American family move to China, like that's better than America right?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

well the title of the new version was at one point called Kung-fu kid, from the trailer it actually looks pretty good although Jaden Smith is to young to play the same role as Ralph Maccio.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
well the title of the new version was at one point called Kung-fu kid, from the trailer it actually looks pretty good although Jaden Smith is to young to play the same role as Ralph Maccio.
You're right, it looks great. Jaden may be younger but he's a hell of a lot better fighter by the looks of it. What a dramatic change from Pursuit of Happiness, he must have trained sooooo hard.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Well his next one is Karate Kid, so unfortunately not for now.

Karate Kid? Why Karate Kid? I don't mean why do a remake as I think the film will be great but it's about a CHINESE man teaching a kid KUNG FU. Where in the story at all is there anything to do with JAPANESE KARATE???
It should be called KUNG FU KID. There are some Bloody idiots out there, there really is.
In answer to your question, here is a quote from part of a press release/interview that I read at www.jackiechanforum.com/forum

"There is a 2nd Trailer for The Karate Kid just put out by SONY, I also wanted to add, that I read a short interview in January, with the director in which he partially explained the "Karate Kid" title as it relates to Dre( Jaden) learning Kung Fu in the movie, and it made a lot sense. Something along the lines as to he does know "Karate" from learning it in the US, hence, him being the Karate Kid, but not being able to use it to defend himself until learning Kung Fu from the Jackie Chan character. I recall reading some people complaining about the title of the movie, being wrong since the movie is set in China, Jackie teaching Kung Fu etc. I felt those complaints didn't make any sense since none of these people had seen the movie, nor did they know the plot line or what the directors plans were in covering this in the film, it is becoming more obvious that there is a reason for that."

It doesn't make complete sense to me.... sounds more of an excuse for sticking to the title rather than a reason. Despite title niggles, I'm looking forward to this one, especially as the second trailer strongly suggests that Jackie will be playing this straight rather than being a comedic character.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpirit View Post
Yeah, and why would the American family move to China, like that's better than America right?
Depends...
Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
In answer to your question, here is a quote from part of a press release/interview that I read at www.jackiechanforum.com/forum

"There is a 2nd Trailer for The Karate Kid just put out by SONY, I also wanted to add, that I read a short interview in January, with the director in which he partially explained the "Karate Kid" title as it relates to Dre( Jaden) learning Kung Fu in the movie, and it made a lot sense. Something along the lines as to he does know "Karate" from learning it in the US, hence, him being the Karate Kid, but not being able to use it to defend himself until learning Kung Fu from the Jackie Chan character. I recall reading some people complaining about the title of the movie, being wrong since the movie is set in China, Jackie teaching Kung Fu etc. I felt those complaints didn't make any sense since none of these people had seen the movie, nor did they know the plot line or what the directors plans were in covering this in the film, it is becoming more obvious that there is a reason for that."

It doesn't make complete sense to me.... sounds more of an excuse for sticking to the title rather than a reason. Despite title niggles, I'm looking forward to this one, especially as the second trailer strongly suggests that Jackie will be playing this straight rather than being a comedic character.
I can smell the stench of this film a mile away.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post

Jackie Chan is an absolutely superb serious actor too so let's hope it will show people what he's capable of as the majority seem to fob him off as just a bit of a laugh. They clearly haven't seen New Police Story, Crime Story, Heart of Dragons and Dragons Forever to name but a few
Old 03-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

In the original they moved because of the mother's job. You've got to assume the reason here to be the same.

I'm a bit more open minded about projects like this for Jackie than "The Spy Next Door". Only time will tell if this is acyually any good. I just think that Jackie's Hollywood output so far have been poor at best. At least this one looks like it may give him a chance to say something about Chinese culture........ or am I hoping a little too much her?

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!