Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives

Poll: The best of Wes
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
The best of Wes

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2011, 09:59 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Wes Craven's New Nightmare by far. His masterpiece.

I also went for The Hills Have Eyes for old time's sake
Old 9th November 2011, 10:04 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Music of the Heart" is Mrs MTDS' fave.
Old 9th November 2011, 10:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Oh yeah, Red Eye was Craven. Decent little flick that.
Old 9th November 2011, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Ha, The Fireworks Woman! Good ol' Abe Snake!
Old 10th November 2011, 02:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

A Nightmare On Elm Street is my personal fave, I also enjoyed The People Under The Stairs, The Last House On The Left and The Hills Have Eyes (although I prefer Alexandre Aja's remake to Craven's original).
Old 10th November 2011, 07:15 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I must be the only one who didn't like Red Eye.

I felt sorry for Cillian Murphy as he stumbled through what must be one of the worst scripts every written.

The anti-climactic ending was the final nail in the coffin of this dull and forgettable film.
Old 10th November 2011, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Love People Under the Stairs & Serpent & The Rainbow. For anyone interested Scream 4 Blu Ray is only £4.99 on play.com as deal of the day. Not seen it yet and suspect it is rubbish but for £5 can't complain.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 10th November 2011, 12:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

SERPENT AND THE RAINBOW is easily my favourite Craven film. Its a genuinely freaky horror film with Zakes Mokae acting seriously evil. The best voodoo-based horror movie ever. I doubt Bill Pullman is able to have babies anymore.

I voted for THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS, THE HILLS HAVE EYES and NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET too. I remember SHOCKER being good for a laugh n all Haven't seen DEADLY BLESSING, sounds interesting that one.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 10th November 2011, 12:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm not a big fan of Wes Craven, but I'm no hater either. Last House was a powerhouse of a brutal movie, at the time. Hills Have Eyes was an interesting take on similar material. I actually prefer the remake. I found Deadly Blessing, deadly dull but could see what he was attempting in a couple of scenes. The original Nightmare was an innovative way to make a splatter movie. People forget that the original wasn't quite as jokey as the rest. Craven's attempt at reinventing the slasher, through the Scream series has to be admired and it led on to a new wave of horror; pity it was mainly PG-13.

For me, his stand out movie is The Serpent and The Rainbow. By the time I saw it I was already a big zombie film fan and liked the more realistic approach. The idea of voodoo using blowfish toxin as a method for "reanimating" the dead was well known and had been used in a Miami Vice episode. So, I was familiar with some of the background, but never got around to reading the book that the movie was based upon, if there was one?

I did sit a little uncomfortably during one of the scenes.
Old 10th November 2011, 01:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I'm not a big fan of Wes Craven, but I'm no hater either. Last House was a powerhouse of a brutal movie, at the time. Hills Have Eyes was an interesting take on similar material. I actually prefer the remake. I found Deadly Blessing, deadly dull but could see what he was attempting in a couple of scenes. The original Nightmare was an innovative way to make a splatter movie. People forget that the original wasn't quite as jokey as the rest. Craven's attempt at reinventing the slasher, through the Scream series has to be admired and it led on to a new wave of horror; pity it was mainly PG-13.

For me, his stand out movie is The Serpent and The Rainbow. By the time I saw it I was already a big zombie film fan and liked the more realistic approach. The idea of voodoo using blowfish toxin as a method for "reanimating" the dead was well known and had been used in a Miami Vice episode. So, I was familiar with some of the background, but never got around to reading the book that the movie was based upon, if there was one?

I did sit a little uncomfortably during one of the scenes.
Its based on the factual book by Wade Davis, a Harvard ethnobotany student. He really did go to Haiti and delve into the mysteries surrounding 'vodoun' and the constituents & pharmacology of the zombie powder they use. Check his book out its a great read! He's a real life Indiana Jones. Works as a photographer for National Geographic now and is a bit of a cult legend amongst the biology students that know of him

He hated, HATED, what Wes Craven did with his book btw... Guess he's not a fan of the horror movie

The Serpent and the Rainbow: Amazon.co.uk: Davis: Books
wayfarer likes this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!