Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2010, 08:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

They are both great box sets and essential for Bava fans. It would have been great to see a third box set.
Old 16th June 2010, 02:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I used to have that German Ltd Ed of Blood And Black Lace with the velvet slipcase. The transfer was by far the best I've seen and I've been kicking myself for years that I sold it but needed the money at the time.

I'm shocked that noone else has used that print since for a good English language release. Who actually has the UK rights? Incidentally, there was an Australian DVD released last year that I've been tempted to get but I've never found a review. They also released Whip and the Body but the extras are the same or similar to the VCI releases so I'm sceptical about the quality, especially as they also released a fullscreen Satanic Rites of Dracula. I think they might also be NTSC so it wouldn't surprise me if they're direct ports of the VCI.
Old 16th June 2010, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Can anyone confirm if the VCI version of Blood & Black Lace is R0, seen some conflicting DVD reviews some have it down as R1 and others as R0.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
Old 16th June 2010, 02:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

It's listed as R0 here and the site is usually very trustworthy specs-wise.

dvdcompare
Old 16th June 2010, 05:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Can anyone confirm if the VCI version of Blood & Black Lace is R0, seen some conflicting DVD reviews some have it down as R1 and others as R0.
I have it, and it's definitely R0.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:22 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I recently stumbled upon a Russian dvd of Blood And Black Lace...anyone knows something about that?

Btw any fans of Four Times That Night?
Old 20th June 2010, 02:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I recently stumbled upon a Russian dvd of Blood And Black Lace...anyone knows something about that?

Btw any fans of Four Times That Night?
I came across a copy online the other week as well and I think it said it featured English subtitles and an anamorphic transfer. I was going to buy it too, as I had more or less given up on acquiring the limited edition German release. Then I came across a copy of the latter at a very cheap price and picked that up instead.

I still haven't got around to watching Four Times That Night.

Last edited by g053584398; 26th June 2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:40 PM
Ex-member

I'm one of the lucky ones with the German velvet edition and it is indeed the best the film has looked (to date!) it pisses over the terrible VCI edition, Whip & The Body could do with a similar transfer...as for UK rights to B&BL? Nouveaux released it on VHS way back in 2000, though I would doubt they still have the rights today...a Bluray perhaps with the classy Taking Trash Seriously tagline?
Old 26th June 2010, 05:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

There is an Italian DVD of Whip and the Body, which I believe features both the Italian and English language tracks, although I've no idea how the image quality shapes up.
Old 27th June 2010, 02:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

It'd be great to see Shameless or Arrow tackle Mario Bava's back catalogue as Tartan failed to do so years ago.
So far we've had a nice fill of Fulci and there's an amazing array of Argento on the way too. So a subsequent burst of Bava brilliance sooner or later would go down a treat!

Like this? Share it using the links below!