Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree4253Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2012, 02:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
That's probably a subjective thing. I've talked to other people who think the DPOD Blu looks stunning. I'll be getting it and judging it for myself rather than just taking other people's word for it. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, just that I'd rather judge for myself. If I always listened to other people I'd have missed out on what I consider to be great BDs.
No, no i wouldn't skip buying a disc because of one persons opinion but i have seen stills of it before which i didn't thought looked so good. Then i heard about the replacement disc and that it was something wrong with the first pressing and i hoped they maybe had corrected the whole film. But they didnt.

If they only hadn't smeared out the image which would give it a more natural look (like the Rollin BD's for example) i would buy it for sure

This is what i mean:
http://cdn.blu-raydefinition.com/wor..._02.jpg?d9c344
Old 6th May 2012, 03:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnToZero View Post
No, no i wouldn't skip buying a disc because of one persons opinion but i have seen stills of it before which i didn't thought looked so good. Then i heard about the replacement disc and that it was something wrong with the first pressing and i hoped they maybe had corrected the whole film. But they didnt.

If they only hadn't smeared out the image which would give it a more natural look (like the Rollin BD's for example) i would buy it for sure

This is what i mean:
http://cdn.blu-raydefinition.com/wor..._02.jpg?d9c344
That picture highlights the problem exactly. Most of the film has that look about it!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 7th May 2012, 12:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Not sure what it is I'm supposed to be seeing, but that looks fine to me.
Old 7th May 2012, 08:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Not sure what it is I'm supposed to be seeing, but that looks fine to me.
Look at his face and hands, you can't see any wrinkles or fine detail because they've smeared it all with DNR or some such image processing technique. Either that or Andrew Keir had has had botox Its visible in the leaves of the trees too. Makes the thing look like a cartoon. Its worse in motion! Really disappointing. Its a world away from their transfer of Quatermass. Honestly I think I'm pretty forgiving as far as image quality on older movies goes but not when they've made a Hammer film look as unnatural as this!

Old 7th May 2012, 12:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yeah, I can kind of see what you mean. Nevertheless, I'll pick it up and judge for myself. Once a film is rolling I tend to be more absorbed in the story more than critiquing the visual presentation anyway. But I can understand the complaints. At the same time I've had people tell me that it looks superb. So I'm not sure what to believe, therefore the only thing for me to do is to check it out for myself.

The folks at Hammer and StudioCanal still stand by their assertion that very little DNR or video processing has been applied. Are they lying, then? Or is this actually how the film looks in HD? It all seems rather odd that Hammer/StudioCanal are saying one thing whilst reviewers are picking up on something entirely different and saying too much DNR has been applied.
Old 7th May 2012, 12:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I guess at the end of the day Hammer and Studio Canal want to sell the product and I imagine will play down the use of DNR and other shortcomings to achieve this end. To be fair to them, the fact they went back and completely re-did the DNR-hell which was the intro sequence (as well as corrected the sound issue) is a tremendous credit to them. They also have excellent communication with fans and consumers through their blog.

When I first got into BDs about a year and a half ago I would have probably thought this a very decent transfer but now I've had the chance to watch a lot of them, with transfers good and bad, from waxy to pin-sharp, I realise I would much sooner have grain and even debris on the picture as long as resolution is high. I do not want companies to blur out detail for the sake of a 'cleaner' or 'smoother' image. Eureka are fabulous at leaving grain intact, and often leaving a bit of print damage, for the sake of maximising resolution and detail. This was also achieved with the Quatermass transfer.

I also think DNR looks particularly bad, hence is ill-advised, with strongly coloured films such as Hammer's lovely technicolour productions.

Anyway these are just my opinions and as you say its all subjective. I'd be interested to know your stance when you've watched it

Old 7th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm not accusing Hammer or Studio Canal of lying but what they describe as "little DNR" was maybe to much? On the other hand i think the picture looks quite grainy but in a "smeared way" if you know what i mean..

Look at all the stills and judge for yourself.
Dracula: Prince of Darkness [UK Release] Blu-ray Review
Old 8th May 2012, 11:41 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Look at all the stills and judge for yourself.
Dracula: Prince of Darkness [UK Release] Blu-ray Review
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I prefer to judge a film in motion, on my own set up. Even the reviewer you link to says that it's worth picking up.

Are you deliberately trying to put me off buying it?
Old 8th May 2012, 02:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Are you deliberately trying to put me off buying it?
Haha you can buy Zulu if you like like. I wont stop you

I'm just a little comfused about this release.
Old 8th May 2012, 02:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

At the restoration blog there's a lengthy piece about Rasputin which, while not one of my favourites, sounds to be shaping up to be a great release. They also touch on Curse Of Frankenstein as well as The Reptile and Plague Of The Zombies, in particular how much easier the grain structure was to work with than DPOD.

RASPUTIN cannot be killed! | Hammer restoration blog
ReturnToZero likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!