LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2017, 02:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
One of Peckinpah's masterpieces.
Do you rate his westerns? Pat Garrett...., The Wild Bunch, and my fave Ride the High Country?

I'm not keen on The Ballad of Cable Hogue though.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st April 2017, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do you rate his westerns? Pat Garrett...., The Wild Bunch, and my fave Ride the High Country?

I've actually never seen Ride the High Country and The Ballad of Cable Hogue. I will do though. The Wild Bunch is excellent, but I've never been too keen on Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. Maybe it's time for a revaluation.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 21st April 2017, 02:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Another classic i've not seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
One of Peckinpah's masterpieces.
It's quite possibly my favourite Peckinpah film.
Cinematic Shocks likes this.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's quite possibly my favourite Peckinpah film.
I can see next week's new arrivals for me will include Hardware and Alfredo Garcia.
Old 21st April 2017, 03:17 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I can see next week's new arrivals for me will include Hardware and Alfredo Garcia.
An excellent haul indeed, then!
Old 21st April 2017, 04:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I highly rate all of those films you listed, with The Wild Bunch as the best.
Old 21st April 2017, 05:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Vampyros Lesbos (1970)

One of Jess Franco's most infamous films. It stars the gorgeous Soledad Miranda who entices women to her island home via exotic and erotic striptease acts at a club. Once there she ensnares them in with her vampiric will and drinks their bolod in order to live forever.

I've got to be honest and say plot wise there really isn't an awful lot going on. The lovely Ewa Stroemberg is lured to the isolated island in the Med, is seduced by the countess and no one including Dennis Price and Franco regular Paul Muller can work out what is wrong with her.

However the lure of Vampyros Lesbos isn't the story, it's everything else. For the Spanish maverick Franco has created a surreal melancholic poem about vampiric loneliness. There's plenty of erotica although perhaps not as much as the films title might suggest. Far from pounding the viewer into submission with endless zoom shots of hairy sexuality, Franco is far more subtle, intercutting scorpions, moths and kites in the sky with the lingering moments of sensuality.

The film's soundtrack is a joy. Thick with hedonistic eastern influences and jazz and rock motifs, it's skillfully integrated into the film carefully toying with the ears and mind as Franco's sumptuous visuals work their way into our conscious. Coming across like a fever dream, Vampyros Lesbos is recommended late night viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vampyros-lesbos-poster.jpg (50.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 21st April 2017, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Vampyros Lesbos (1970)

One of Jess Franco's most infamous films. It stars the gorgeous Soledad Miranda who entices women to her island home via exotic and erotic striptease acts at a club. Once there she ensnares them in with her vampiric will and drinks their bolod in order to live forever.

I've got to be honest and say plot wise there really isn't an awful lot going on. The lovely Ewa Stroemberg is lured to the isolated island in the Med, is seduced by the countess and no one including Dennis Price and Franco regular Paul Muller can work out what is wrong with her.

However the lure of Vampyros Lesbos isn't the story, it's everything else. For the Spanish maverick Franco has created a surreal melancholic poem about vampiric loneliness. There's plenty of erotica although perhaps not as much as the films title might suggest. Far from pounding the viewer into submission with endless zoom shots of hairy sexuality, Franco is far more subtle, intercutting scorpions, moths and kites in the sky with the lingering moments of sensuality.

The film's soundtrack is a joy. Thick with hedonistic eastern influences and jazz and rock motifs, it's skillfully integrated into the film carefully toying with the ears and mind as Franco's sumptuous visuals work their way into our conscious. Coming across like a fever dream, Vampyros Lesbos is recommended late night viewing.
Get that soundtrack CD bought! It'll be perfect for your summer evenings in the garden!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st April 2017, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Kevin Hart gives these "moments"...

Ride Along (2014)

**1/2 out of *****

Ride Along 2 (2016)

** out of *****

keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 21st April 2017, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I Was an Adventuress (1940)

World famous ballet dancer (sadly not to me though) Vera Zorina stars in this precursor to American Hustle along with Peter Lorre, Richard Greene and Erich Von Stroheim.

Posing as a glamorous countess, Zorina works her way into the life of wealthy Richard Greene, however she falls in love and decides to go straight which doesn't impress Lorre and especially Von Stroheim.

The plot twists and turns with Lorre in top form as he pickpockets more or less everyone he meets in among the many jewellery scams. The film showcases Zorina's day job with a lengthy Swan Lake piece towards the end which a packed audience is in raptures over little knowing they are being swindled.

I Was an Adventuress is a fast paced and quirky comedy crime caper which i look forward to revisiting in the future. The Odeon dvd has a beautiful pin sharp picture if anyone decides to give it a whirl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251190.1020.A.jpg (94.6 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!