All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179491Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2017, 07:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 6th - Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

I didn't see this one coming. By rights this should be terrible. It's slow and truth be told not an awful lot happens, but, and this is a big but, it has atmosphere in spades. It has that crumbling 70's grindhouse feel of dread to it akin to say Last House on the Left, yet that's as far as the comparison goes. Let's Scare Jessica to Death has an eeriness about it, a creeping terror that gets under the skin, and an eerie electronic score that complements the visuals so well, it's difficult to describe, it's almost Ghost Story for Christmas like in it's fear factor.

Zohra Lampert is excellent as Jessica, with a performance steeped in paranoia, attempting to recover from a breakdown but seemingly pursued by the forces that drove her to it in the first place.

Let's Scare Jessica to Death is a film that cries out for repeat viewings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Letscarejessica.jpg (38.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th December 2017, 07:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

It's a film which impressed me on first viewing and, but I haven't seen it in a while and probably didn't pay enough attention, or as much as I should have, when I did watch it last time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th December 2017, 07:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I love this one. Glad you enjoyed it, Dem.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Legend Of Hell House 1973

Dr Lionel Barrett is hired to seek survival after death in, accompanied by his wife, a mental medium Florence Tanner and physical medium Ben Fischer who survived a traumatic experience, returns to the Mount Everest of Haunted Hoouse The Belasco House.

Not many haunted house movies deliver some goods, but this one does, there arent many jump scenes but the atmosphere the actors create is suspensful and eerie.

Its not a big blockbuster budget type 70s movies movie, but certainly worth checking out.8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main pic.jpg (9.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th December 2017, 08:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I didn't see this one coming. By rights this should be terrible. It's slow and truth be told not an awful lot happens, but, and this is a big but, it has atmosphere in spades. It has that crumbling 70's grindhouse feel of dread to it akin to say Last House on the Left, yet that's as far as the comparison goes. Let's Scare Jessica to Death has an eeriness about it, a creeping terror that gets under the skin, and an eerie electronic score that complements the visuals so well, it's difficult to describe, it's almost Ghost Story for Christmas like in it's fear factor.

Zohra Lampert is excellent as Jessica, with a performance steeped in paranoia, attempting to recover from a breakdown but seemingly pursued by the forces that drove her to it in the first place.

I regret not buying the US DVD a while back. Going for a stupid price now on Amazon.
keirarts likes this.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict

I love "Let's scare Jessica to Death" seen it a fair few times, like you say it has a great atmosphere, glad you liked it Dem.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
I regret not buying the US DVD a while back. Going for a stupid price now on Amazon.

I have this version. It's the same as the Archive release, just Italian, but it has an English soundtrack.

Under £6 delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morte-Corre...ssica+to+death
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 7th December 2017, 10:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I have this version. It's the same as the Archive release, just Italian, but it has an English soundtrack.

Under £6 delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morte-Corre...ssica+to+death
Cheers, Dem!
Old 8th December 2017, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran

I watched the new Suspiria disc with the Alan Jones and Kim Newman commentary track the other night, I'd already seen the new restoration on the Italian BD I imported earlier in the year.

I thought that the commentary was a bit weird, they were just chatting about going to see Suspiria at the cinema, how Dario didn't have the proper budget for Mother of Tears and how he's killed Daria in every film she's been in together since they broke up. It would have been nice if perhaps they talked about the film Instead we got nuggets like Jessica Harper is beautiful Yeah we know we have eyes hahah...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th December 2017, 04:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

Thought you might enjoy this one Dem. I first saw it on the BBC aeons ago and I loved it too. The whole thing is very atmospheric and unnerving. I have the US dvd of this one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!