Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2018, 09:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Now watching Frankenstein meets the Wolfman on blu! Think I'm sticking to older stuff I've seen before, despite having a massive "to watch" pile on the side (which must number around 100). Universal Horror: Film Comfort Food!
Old 6th December 2018, 08:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Overlord. A group of young American soldiers land behind enemy lines on D-Day, only to find the Nazis even Naztier than they thought and engaged in horrific experiments to create supersoldiers. An odd mix of World War II thrills and (eventually) horror, Overlord is an entertaining enough shaggy dog story.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Last couple of days Christmas viewing; I watched a Marillion documentary film on Monday so didn't have time for a festive fav as well I'll probably watch the Jim Carrey Grinch tonight after work.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th December 2018, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

2019 After The fall of New York.

Set after a nuclear war, and with the Euracs in control, a bunch of chaps in Darth vadar outfits. and the opposing side the Confederacy led by Edmund purdom.
And lone warrior Parsifel(Kurt russel wannabe michael sopkiw) finds himself forced by purdom to go on a mission into the wasteland of new york to find the last fertile female to save the future of mankind.

brilliant director Sergio martino delivers one of the most entertaining Italian post apocalyse rip offs ever made, with non stop action, rat infested sewers, mutant apes, souped up cars and even a bit of romance. and a great goblin style score as well.
With loads of great characters too like big Ape played by the 7ft chap George eastman who is able to chop off the heads of several euracs at the sane time just by throwing a sword.
Anna Karakis is also foxy too as the evil Eurac in her kinky dominatrix outfit. Lucky chap Parsifel. but he only has eyes for the sweet blond Jada out of the needle people.

excellent. and once again i love the fact that all of it is done with practical effects, despite the cheap budget.
only one thing i didn't like though is the annoying clown glove puppet. What was Martino thinking? it wasent funny at all. and made me want to climb into the screen and strangle it.
82 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019after.jpg (49.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 6th December 2018, 04:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 2nd

Crawlspace (1986)

Klaus Kinski plays the son of a Nazi war criminal who owns an apartment building, renting the flats out to women whom he proceeds to spy on from the buildings ventilation shafts.

After a promising and fairly sleazy opening this becomes rather run of the mill. Klaus as a psychopath is almost stereotypical, but the film falters because it fails to really explore his madness via his actual human frailties instead offering up soul searching sessions in which he pretty much mumbles us to death.

There are a few kills - Kinski murders male lovers of his female tenants - but gore and shocks, aside from the fact he keeps a woman in a cage and body parts in jars, are few and far between.

Disappointing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crawlspace+poster+2.jpg (97.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th December 2018, 10:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Yes, Crawlspace isn't the best. It's still one I want to pick up at some point.

Tonight's far from festive viewing (although there are plenty of Hos to be had... ) consisted of a re-watch of an old fave: Russell's Crimes of Passion. Still as seedy, and touchingly bonkers as ever.
Old 7th December 2018, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Nightmare City.

A reporter(mexican chap Hugo stiglitz) is on assignment to interview a nuclear scientist who is supposed to be arriving at a airport. but when a unidentified carrier plane does a emergency landing, the army are suspicious and surround it. and what happens next is that an army of zombies emerge from the plane and go on a killing rampage with axes and knives drinking the blood of their victims and spreading contamination.
the reporter then buggers off and later tracks down his Dr wife and fight for their lives as the zombies take over.

Director Umberto lenzi does his own interesting take on the zombie saga but with some interesting twists. these are not your traditional style Fulci or Romero zombies at all and are much more mobile than the usual shuffling specimims. these buggers are very athletic and clever and can run, use weapons and fire guns, and that makes them even more dangerous. and they are not into flesh eating either and are more like vampires as they need to drink blood to sustain themselves. although they do seem to enjoy ripping off womens blouses and stabbing them in the boobs.

very entertaining film indeed, with a nice synth score and non stop action that's never boring for a second, and with some exciting scenes set at a funfair.
The twist climax is a bit of a let down though, and reminded me a bit of The Slayer. and the lead actors are a bit forgettable too, although Mel Ferrer gets to co-star again. 79 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nightmare-City-1980-00-46-47.jpg (83.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 08:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 3rd

A Virgin Among The Living Dead (1973)

One of the least interesting Jess Franco films i've seen. The plot sounds okay - A woman arrives from England to visit her estranged relatives in a small castle for the reading of her dead father's will. She eventually discovers that they are all undead - but it all feels really tired and listless, lacking the trademark sex and shocks usually associated with the great Franco.

Apparently it had a troubled production and was cut and re-cut , scenes added and then cut again. It really is a s bad as it sounds. Even the presence of the lovely Britt Nichols and Anne Libert from Franco's Daughter of Dracula and The Demons can't save this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avirginamongthelivingdead528.jpg (51.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 8th December 2018, 10:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have to ask if it's the short version that you watched? As there is a longer one that is more "horrory" ahem.
Pity. I cannot get enough of it. For me it has the logic of a dream.

Next!!

White Line Fever (1975, Johnathan Kaplan)

Airwolf has a new truck. But Slim Pickens wants him to do naughty things with it. So he takes 'em all on ... one by one. Rather violent (though not graphic) for it's time, this tale of self determination and diesel is okay, if a bit tyred (groan) in execution.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th December 2018, 11:36 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I have to ask if it's the short version that you watched? As there is a longer one that is more "horrory" ahem.
Pity. I cannot get enough of it. For me it has the logic of a dream.

Next!!

Under 80 minutes which i presume is the short version. Who has released the long version?

Like this? Share it using the links below!