Like Tree179043Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2019, 04:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
One of the most enjoyable things I find about Letterboxd, as sad as it likely sounds, is starting a list, and working my way through it until the percent watched counter is at 100%. Or even just finding a mammoth list, and watching the counter increase over the years.

It's one of those experiences that gets better the longer you use it, the more years worth of films you've logged. For a while you might simply be at a loss for the popularity of it, but over time you'll see the benefits.
Thanks, Baka.

I've just had a quick browse of your lists. Expect questions like "Is this out on dvd?" when i properly study them.
BAKA likes this.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Where The Buffalo Roam (1980, Art Linson)

Bill Murray channels Hunter S Thompson. Follow the venerable scribe as he careers around in a state of toxicity and shock. Peter Boyle plays a fictionalised version of Oscar Acosta. Tis a bit shapeless and goes for sensationalism over grit. But Bill is fun to watch and comparing him and Depp's attempt is fruitless imo. Murray goes for a broad stroke and it suits him betterer.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th January 2019, 08:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

A group of friends attend HELL FEST, a huge and highly elaborate horror theme park. After witnessing a killing what they thought was staged for the show, a masked killer stalks the group through the park..

Very enjoyable and atmospheric horror. The theme park is just awesome. Everywhere is something horror related, outside and inside the attractions have actors walking around and animatronic creeps.
The killer moves slowly through the park and looks great backlit against the park exhibits. Apart from two of the deaths it is not really gory, relying more on chills than anything else. So yeah, really liked this.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The boys end up getting a free ride to Oxford university, most of the students ( who all look way to old , one looks to be in his 50s, the youngest is Peter Cushing in what might be his first role). have it in for them. The get up their usual shenanigans and we find out Stan is a Lord that disappeared years ago after getting but in the head. Timeless and funny . 8/10

Now watching

Old 9th January 2019, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadpool 2016.

A mercenary diagnosed with cancer goes through a rogue experiment which alters his skin and healing powers goes after the one responsible for messing up his life.

This is film had me in stitches from start to finish and gave me a good excuse to get our of paying a taxi fare. Ryan Reynolds plays a good part of Wade Wilson/Deadpool a non stop chatterer with a bad sense of humour and plenty of insults to calling Professor X a heavens gate member. The action and fight sequence were well filmed mixed with blood and gore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (19.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 9th January 2019, 10:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Dark Night of the Scarecrow. When a young girl is attacked, a bunch of hicks wrongly blame a simpleton who likes hanging around with her and murder him in cold blood. When the courts let them get away with it, someone sets out to pay them back in kind. This early 80s TV movie chiller starring Charles Durning, Lane Smith and Larry Drake is reasonably entertaining and watchable, if nothing particularly amazing.
Old 10th January 2019, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Fragment of Fear (1970)

British oddity that seems to have it's eye on Hammer's thriller output in which a reformed druggie (David Hemmings) witnesses his aunt's murder whilst on holiday in Italy. On returning to England he finds himself implicated in the murder in every way possible. That's just for starters.

An interesting psychological thriller that ramps up the levels of paranoia to screaming point but ultimately fails due to it's fairly unsatisfying ending and a lack of motive behind...well everything really.

Although David Hemmings is okay as the former drug addict whose world slowly collapses around him in a paranoid frenzy, Gayle Hunnicutt seemed asleep most of the time and the crucial plot point of her wearing her glasses at her wedding made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Fragment_of_Fear.jpg (18.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 02:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Free Solo

This documentary by the husband and wife team of Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi and Jimmy Chin shows them following their friend Alex Honnold in his ambition to climb a 3000 feet high sheer granite face i present Yosemite Park known as El Capitan, or El Cap for short. It is something he has climbed several times before, but always with a friend, and always with ropes, anchor points, and usually a helmet. This time, he intends to do it without any form of support or protective equipment, a type of climbing known as free soloing.

The trailer gave me the impression that the documentary would just follow the climb, but it is much more than that as you get to know Honnold’s upbringing, his mother, new girlfriend, friends, see the impact of a fall which led to a sprained ankle and compound fracture of his lower back, and his rehab from those injuries. Another medical component of the film features the results of an MRI scan on Honnold’s brain which reveals that his amygdala barely responds when exposed to frightening situations which have a 'normal brain' displaying a huge amount of activity.

There is also the ethical part of this documentary because, as Jimmy Chin explains, he could be filming and watch his friend simply fall through the frame, most likely to his death. Because this mixes the mundane and the extreme, from shopping for a fridge freezer with his girlfriend for their newly bought house in Las Vegas to preparing his mind and body for the climb by scaling incredibly difficult rock faces in Morocco and then returning to El Capitan for trial runs to make scrupulous notes of every aspect of the wall and exactly what he would need to do in any given situation – it's a bit like a race driver doing multiple laps of a race track in preparation for a perfect lap without any helmet, harness, or crumble zones on the car knowing that one mistake would result in your death. The very real possibility of this is reinforced with the names of people who have died free soloing, and when. Indeed, the film is dedicated to Ueli Steck, a German climber who died when falling 1000 feet when free soloing in Nepal, an incident which happened during filming.

The film benefits from a superb score by Marco Beltrami which makes the tense climbing sequences even more (if you pardon the pun) gripping and it is something that made me forget what I knew at times so I had to remind myself of how it should finish. I saw it at a fairly small local cinema in the smallest screen they have and wish it had been on a much bigger screen (I don't know if I could have coped with IMAX) for maximum impact.

Free Solo is a remarkable documentary and I would urge you to take any chance you have to watch it, preferably on a big screen. I would love to watch it again, whether at the cinema or at home.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NG-FreeSolo-KeyArt-MiniPoster.9eaec175.jpg (96.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 11:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dradpool 2 2018

Wade Wilson/Dradpool returns to create a team to protect a teen from Cable a soldier from the future who will kill him after his family is killed.

Ryan Reynolds dons on the red and black spandex suit again with his foul mouth and 4th wall again to the audience. Josh Brown stars in this as cable the tough mercenary from the future to kill a child (total parody of Terminator with humour) with a robotic arm, Do pincer the taxi driver, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead team up alongside Domino to take on Juggernaut. This has it all from the first and more wise cracks. David Leitch takes the director's chair for this film, with good effects, fights and action sequences and remember don't jump from high places and land knee first...doesnt work. 9 out of 10.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Erik the Conqueror (1960)

An Italian, let's be kind and say homage, to 1958's classic The Vikings. Although Erik the Conqueror is nowhere near as good as the Kirk Douglas / Tony Curtis film it does stand out thanks to some fantastic photography from Mario Bava and scenes at the Viking camp which are more akin to a descent into hell as are some of the gory fight sequences.

Rip off or not, this is certainly very watchable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961-erik-the-conqueror-poster.jpg (103.9 KB, 8 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!