Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2019, 01:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post

Watched the Bros documentary. Jawdropping. A must
The Dead Ringers of music docs Now take it away from me.
Thanks to Twitter I've just found out that this in on the BBC iPlayer so that's my Friday evening sorted, Jackie Chan in The Drunken Master and a documentary about Bros
Demoncrat and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th January 2019, 01:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Monkey Shines (1988)

During George a Romero's twenty year gap from his Dead series of films he made one or two interesting standalone features. Bruiser (2000) was one and Monkey Shines is another.

It's depiction of a Capuchin monkey as a daily help to a paraplegic trying to adjust to his situation is both fascinating and fun, the monkey is absolutely adorable, but it takes a disturbing turn for the worse as the monkey is infected on purpose by a serum that turns it rabid.

Well paced and reasonably gripping, Monkey Shines is a film that's not for the psychologically squeamish.

The film's offbeat use of monkeys as killers certainly reminded me of the superior 1986 British horror thriller Link.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Kill List at all

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Decided to give this a watch seeing as it’s on Amazon Prime, am I missing something here because just like the only other Ben Wheatley film I’ve seen (A Field in England), it bored the crap out of me, each to their own etc but I thought it was absolutely rubbish
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th January 2019, 09:38 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

War Between the Planets (1966)

Creaky Italian sci-fi from Antonio Margheriti. It's basic premise is about scientists trying to prevent the Earth colliding with another planet.

In truth despite some enthusiastic model work this is all quite boring with square jawed astronaut types grimacing at one another throughout and even Gio Rossi Stuart can't save it. Not a patch on Margheriti's other sci-fi films from the same mid sixties period.
Old 12th January 2019, 11:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted D!!

See No Evil (1971, Richard Fleischer)

Mia Farrow is terrorised by an unknown assailant. Uncle Mort's in it!! As is an incredibly young Boon . Worth a look. It's different from Wait Until Dark ... slight Torso vibe when she awakes etc .... nice enough print on this dvd ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th January 2019, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Bloodstained Lawn.

A bunch of rich types pick up lowlifes and take them back to their luxury villa and give them the time of their lives including sex orgies. but little do they know that they are to be killed and their blood drained by a mad scientist and his killer robot so that they can sell their blood hidden in wine bottles on the black market.

This i have to say is one very strange giallo indeed, not that you can really call it a giallo at all and is more like a comedy with a bit of a sci fi element thrown in.
It's not really a very good film either. but the strangeness of it all makes it kind of interesting, plus the fact that it stars Marina Malfatti from All The Colours of The Dark as the sexy wife of the mad scientist chap Antonio who has a passion for comical bowties.
definately a curiosity this one for those who enjoy the unusual. 69 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg victim-of-machine-as-group-watches.jpg (97.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Blood Creek (2009)

Dominic Purcell and Henry Cavill play two brothers trapped on an old farm by a creature (Michael Fassbender) born from experiments by the Third Reich in 1936.

Director Joel Schumacher's film is a pacy affair and full of gore (one decapitation was very nicely done) but for every bit of originality there's equally derisory moments that give the impression of having seen it all before.

It's a film that gains points for it's use of the Occult and Nazis but then loses most of them by not being as scary as it should be. Still this is definitely worth a watch and the three leads are very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BloodCreekPoster.jpg (96.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran

When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Spoilers Ahead

I'd never seen this one before, in fact, before the Second Sight disc came out a few months ago I'd never even heard of it! So, with that being said, I was kind of surprised when the 'he's in the house' motif was already over after 20 minutes and turned into a PI chasing down an escaped child murderer. The middle act sags a little bit but was well acted enough to keep my interest going.

So the opening set piece and an exciting final 20 minutes make this a really worth while watch, the bluray looks fantastic and the package is great! I'm looking forward to watching the TV movie redo/sequel?? I'll probably leave it for a week or two though.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th January 2019, 09:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Spoilers Ahead

I'd never seen this one before, in fact, before the Second Sight disc came out a few months ago I'd never even heard of it! So, with that being said, I was kind of surprised when the 'he's in the house' motif was already over after 20 minutes and turned into a PI chasing down an escaped child murderer. The middle act sags a little bit but was well acted enough to keep my interest going.

So the opening set piece and an exciting final 20 minutes make this a really worth while watch, the bluray looks fantastic and the package is great! I'm looking forward to watching the TV movie redo/sequel?? I'll probably leave it for a week or two though.
The remake is just the opening twenty minutes of the original film ie - the 'he's in the house' part. I quite like it. Never seen the original.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Trespass (1992)

Walter Hill's noir-like thriller about two firemen (Bill's Paxton and Sadler) on the trail of gold in an old factory who witness a gangland murder and inadvertently alert the gang of their presence.

The old factory is a great location and the gang led by the charismatic Ice-T and the sweary Ice Cube make for fine villains. Trespass is a film full of tense situations and a nice twist ending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TrespassMovie.jpg (20.8 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!