Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2019, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Raw (2016, Julia Ducournau)

Now this is more my speed. When a younger sibling follows her sister to college, she discovers a new side to her personality .... and then some. Was worth the wait. Stylishly ghastly in the way only the French can really pull off cough.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th January 2019, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Law and Order (1953)

This is the first ever western i've seen that stars Ronald Reagan. My first impression on the former President as a western star is that he's okay, watchable but you wouldn't go out of your way to see him if a western with either Eastwood, Stewart, Wayne, Scott, Fonda, Cooper, Peck, happened to be offered also. He's basically the Jodie Whitaker of western heroes.

The film on the whole is merely serviceable, it does a job, but the plot is slight to say the least and despite a multitude of action set pieces it's a film that never really engages even though it never bores either. However there are plenty of other examples of western films that are far worse than this.

The film itself looks and sounds very nice and is part of the 101 Films Western Collection set one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51hiWoNuV2L.jpg (59.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 18th January 2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 19th January 2019, 05:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scars Of Dracula (Roy Ward Baker)

'im from The Sweeney and 'er from Magpie come unstuck in this solid if uninspired later Hammer entry. Just before they started chucking the kitchen sink in, this is gothic with a small g cubed. Michael Ripper? Check! Busty wenches? Check! And at least the big D isn't dispatched by a bush

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th January 2019, 05:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Scars Of Dracula (Roy Ward Baker)

'im from The Sweeney and 'er from Magpie come unstuck in this solid if uninspired later Hammer entry. Just before they started chucking the kitchen sink in, this is gothic with a small g cubed. Michael Ripper? Check! Busty wenches? Check! And at least the big D isn't dispatched by a bush
Of course there ain't bush, it's a hammer film not a Jess Franco film.
Ohhh not that type of bush.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 19th January 2019, 05:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Lady Stay dead.

A creepy bearded gardener has an obsession with a famous singer, even going to bed with a sex doll in her image. and gets a job as her gardener so he can spy on her. which eventually ends up raping her in her home and drowning her in the fish tank. afterwards her sister jenny turns up and ends up fighting for her life.

I have to say that i quite enjoyed this aussie psycho thriller. Yes it is a little cheesy, but it is never boring and has a mean spirit that is sadly lacking in today's films.
And Chard Hayward gives a pretty good performance too as Gordan the insane gardener who loses the plot Maniac style, even shooting the neighbour's dog.

well worth a watch, nice locations, and with a interesting cat and mouse finale. 71 out of 100.
I enjoyed that one when I watched the Code Red Blu-ray a year or two ago as well, but then I do love Ozploitation films.
Old 19th January 2019, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cat In The Brain 1990.

A film director is being stalked by a killer copying the Murders from his movies.

Lucio Fulci directs and plays somewhat himself while keeping his sanity in tact. It's more of is it real or is someone copying deaths from his films. The films acting parts are really not the best it's more comical than horror but there is his usual bloody gore that saves the film although extracts from other movies makes it more interesting. 7 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (16.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 19th January 2019, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Air Strike (2018)

Da hong zha (original title)

A film about a group of Chinese people from various backgrounds attempting to get an English decoding device to the Chinese army amidst terrifying Japanese air strikes in Chongqing, 1940.

A film that gets horrendous reviews elsewhere mainly it appears due to an American cut of the film being badly dubbed and half an hour shorter than this UK release which is thankfully sub-titled and goes under the name The Bombing.

A film that doesn't skimp on the action - there are numerous aerial action sequences throughout, in fact enough to rival any Hollywood blockbuster, there are also one or two tense scenes, one or two harrowing ones, and remarkably a set piece with a plane and a truck which was totally original and would have lit up any Fast and Furious film.

The film's main downside was with the characterization. It was a bit lacking, meaning it took over half the film to really submerse yourself into things. For some reason Bruce Willis and Adrien Brody co-starred in the film. Admittedly Willis had a decent size part as an American forces commander helping the Chinese, but Brody had all of two scenes in total making you wonder why bother?

Then there's the two piglets, in the film throughout, i loved the piglets.
Old 19th January 2019, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Of course there ain't bush, it's a hammer film not a Jess Franco film.
Ohhh not that type of bush.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
Old 19th January 2019, 11:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Zombie Creeping Flesh 1980.

A female reporter and a cameraman team up to escape from a virus that turned people into zombies.

This is like a Italian rip off from Dawn of the dead, but still entertaining and although a bit cheesy in some places with added gore. The plot was OK not brilliant but with some holes in it, the acting was OK aswell as the dubbing was better than the other movies I have seen. It may not be the best zombie flick but still worth to check out. 6 out of 10.
Old 20th January 2019, 08:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Terry Gilliam)

Cough. Retroactively this is my film of 2018. Flawed, crazed and slightly flabby as tis, this entertained like no other since Captain Fantastic imho. I laughed. I winced. I engaged. I cannot believe I just said engaged .

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!