Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2012, 07:10 PM
Cultist

Default Guilty Sequel Pleasures

I know that in most cases an original movie is best, but sometimes i find myself more drawn to a sequel, whether its due to extended action, ever more outrageous storyline and stereotyped characters or a "twist" which changes the original focus, i find myself time and time again defending the sequels to movies.

Few if any of these will have been in the running for an Oscar award, but here are some examples.

Poltergeist 3 - I Love the whole trilogy but this one has been my consistent favorite, yes the characters are all terrible and Carolanne's name is shouted a billion times, but i still love it.
Sleepaway Camp 2 (and to a lesser extent, Sleepaway Camp 3) -once the mystery is gone you can just relax and watch the fun develop.
Hellraiser 3: Hell on earth - well the first two were darker and edgier, but i tend to watch this installment the most.
American Psycho 2 : All American Girl - there's no accounting for taste is there? i guess while the first movie is very heavy, this one is just light fun.
Leprechaun 2 (and sometimes 3) - Again, i enjoy the original, but i have more time for the second and third installments.
Demons 2 - the movie house was well done in the original, but i still visit the apartment complex more.
Demons 3: The Ogre - many say this is a terrible film, but i quite like it, a different vein entirely but still fun.
Critters 2: The Main course - sometimes a bigger budget does help a movie out. i think i liked the humor of this piece more.
Fright Night 2: Never been able to get a copy of this on DVD but i loved my VHS version of this.
Aliens: I watch Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 quite frequently, but 2 is my favorite.
House 4: The repossession : if a little confusing with the William Katt Character, still an enjoyable waste of time.
Jaws 2 and Jaws 3: Personal preference I guess.
Child's Play 2: I think the first movie was a great deal of fun, but this was more fun. especially the finale.
Exorcist 2: The Heretic : well, OK, I'd be lying if i said this was a superior movie, it isn't. but i do have a lot of time for it. i think i watch this more than its predecessor because after The Exorcist it was good to catch up with Regan again and see what happened next. i also like the score.
Blair Witch 2: Book Of Shadows : I though the original was interesting but i never really got why it garnered such attention. maybe because it was vastly different, people didn't seem to appreciate this sequel.
The Omen 4: The Awakening - Another movie that doesn't live up to the original trilogy but which i genuinely watch more than the others and enjoy a lot more. probably because it doesn't take itself too seriously.
Nightmare On Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors, 4: The Dream Master and 5: The Dream Child : well, the original was new, different and well orchestrated, but each for different reasons i enjoy watching these three sequels more. - probably The Dream Master is my favorite, but it depends on my mood.
The Hills Have Eyes 2 (Original): This movie had a lot of potential, and i still stick this in more than the original. the return of Ruby was great, if not a little far fetched. (but then, how many horror movies aren't?)
Halloween 3: Season of the witch - A delightful movie which should have just been released as Season of the Witch. very atmospheric and fun. and if i have to choose a Michael Myers movie, i guess Part 4: The Return Of Michael Myers is probably my favorite. i especially like the ending, which was completely Glossed over in part 5.
Amityville 4: The Evil Escapes: Again, not a patch on the original just more fun.
Invasion Of The body Snatchers: Not really a sequel but I've enjoyed all the different remakes of this classic movie. From the 1956 Version to the Nicole Kidman Version. but my favorite is undoubtedly the 1978 version.

So there it is, perhaps a bit long and pointless and open to criticism. I'm sure there are some controversial choices in this lot but remember I'm not saying any of these movies were better than their originals - simply for me, more enjoyable.

does anyone else have any horror movie sequels they have more fun watching than the originals?
Old 19th October 2012, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

You mention Exorcist 2 (You must be mad ), but i think The Exorcist III runs the first one pretty close.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 19th October 2012, 07:24 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Great thread idea! I totally agree with you about the Sleepaway Camp sequels. There's no mystery involved but they are enjoyable. I love the stupidity of the one where she goes from tent to tent killing everyone with everyone thinking they've swapped tents.

You've also made me want to watch The Omen 4 again oddly enough
jamie_leigh44 likes this.
Old 19th October 2012, 07:41 PM
Cult Master

No mention of 'The Godfather part 2' in the list?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th October 2012, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
No mention of 'The Godfather part 2' in the list?
Or Empire Strikes Back
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th October 2012, 07:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Am I missing the joke again or is it too obvious to state that they are hardly guilty pleasures and often cited as the high points of each trilogy?

Yes, I think I am
Old 19th October 2012, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Am I missing the joke again

Yes, I think I am
She started it!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th October 2012, 08:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Am I missing the joke again or is it too obvious to state that they are hardly guilty pleasures and often cited as the high points of each trilogy?

Yes, I think I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
She started it!
Oi!

I ain't starting nuffin'!

Both of you - you're barred!!!!!!!!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th October 2012, 08:09 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hmmmmm, most of you here will know my guilty sequel pleasure, it is of course the greatest sequel EVER made, and for me, as enjoyable as the original what film am I talking about? Why, it's none other than the awesome cheesefest, GREASE 2.

Old 19th October 2012, 08:27 PM
Cultist

Grease 2 was great, and the Empire Strikes back... i've always prefered A New Hope myself, though i've never seen any Godfather movie yet...

I really should have specified Horror Movie sequels, Oh well, if we're talking any genre, A very Brady Sequel should be in there somewhere

JL

Like this? Share it using the links below!