Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2018, 03:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Drag Me To Hell 2009.

After being rejected for a extention on her mortgage, a gypsy woman puts a curse on the bank teller, she is told a demon will torment her then take her to Hell, she tries to stop the Curse.

Sam Raimi returns to his horror roots with this supernatural horror movie, it's very original and not a remake or spoof of any other horror movie that's out. It does start off interesting and a bit slow but the pace does build up more. Lorna Raver who plays Mrs Ganush does play the role well, she does seem to be the type of person you don't want to upset. It does have its flaws in some bits and added dark comedy but still enjoyable. 6-7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (11.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 11th October 2018, 07:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Drag Me To Hell 2009.

...she is told a demon will torment her then take her to Hell, she tries to stop the Curse.

...it's very original and not a remake or spoof of any other horror movie that's out.
I like this film but it does kinda remind me of Night of the Demon (1957).
No one else seems to notice this though.

Isn't there a button that has the curse attached to it at some point like the runes on the paper in said film?

And the end scenes are both train related.
MrBarlow likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th October 2018, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

Isn't there a button that has the curse attached to it at some point like the runes on the paper in said film?

You're right yes, the gypsy woman uses a button of the girl's coat to curse her and it's the button itself that holds the curse, the only way to rid the curse is to pass the button on to somebody else without them knowing about it.

So in the respect it is similar to casting the runes.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th October 2018, 11:48 AM
Cult Master

Apparently Sam Raimi originally intended 'Drag Me To Hell' to be a remake of 'Night/Curse Of The Demon', but he was unable to get the rights to the original film

Instead, they rewrote the story, but kept some of the elements found in the earlier movie, such as the three day hex, the passing of an item to be rid of the curse, the train station used for the ending, etc.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th October 2018, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Beyond The Door.

Dimitri(Richard Jonestone) is a satanist who dies in a car crash and is given 10 more years extra life by the Devil in exchange for making sure that his ex girlfriend gives birth to Satan's child. Meanwhile his ex Jessica Barrett(juliette mills) is now living in San francisco with her husband(Garielle lavia the chap who starred in Deep red) together with their two children and is shocked to discover that she's pregnent again despite being on the pill.

This is another interesting film from Ovidio assontis who's film The Visitor i recently watched as well. and although it's not quite as out there as The Vistitor it still has a lot of head scratching moments, especially the ending that is left open to the viewers interuptations.
The film itself borrows heavily from The Exorcist and Rosemarys Baby and was one of many rip offs in the 1970s. however this one does have a lot of charm and unintentional comedy as well, especially from Juliette mills children and the daughter in particular, who is always swearing and talking like a hippy stoner in a hilarious dubbed voice that made me laugh so much.
Juliette mills herself is also a very nice leading lady indeed and is excellent as a woman possessed with a devil baby. and has several interesting scenes were shes floating, eating banana skins off the pavement, her head doing 360o turn, and puking and shouting obscenties.

It's a little on the long side with some padding at times, including a bizarre musical interlude were a bunch of black chaps are playing flutes in the street with one of them using his nose.
but all in all i liked this film a lot with it's great cast, spooky atmosphere, and narration by Satan himself. and i will give it 80.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beyond the door 2.jpg (6.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th October 2018, 12:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

To be honest i dont think i have seen Night of the demon, but will check that out, the comparisons have got me intrigued.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Completely unrelated and probably should have been posted in several threads before this one but here it is due to the King discussion.

Is The Shining a good book? I haven't read it ever despite me owning many other King books. I saw a nice new Halloween edition paperback version today in Sainsburys for £3.50 and didn't buy it. Should i regret it.

Old 11th October 2018, 12:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I really like it, and it’s nothing like the film which if I remember correctly you aren’t really a fan of, definitely worth that price
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th October 2018, 12:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I really like it, and it’s nothing like the film which if I remember correctly you aren’t really a fan of, definitely worth that price
Thanks Rik. To be honest i'm regretting it already purely for the gaudy new artwork which i do like.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, I quite like it too, my edition has a painting of Jack Nicholson on the front and it’s awful

4E2ED0C4-5F68-45BD-B03B-5B1A2E91FC93-26717-000014D8254DC06C.jpeg
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!