Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2018, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I used to think The Beyond was the bees knees when it came to Italian horror but over the years i've kinda' gone off it.

Like Mr. B i also prefer City of the Living Dead. It's a film with a better atmosphere for a start.
Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 14th October 2018, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 13th

Varsity Blood (2014)

Really lame college slasher film that takes an age to get going and when it does most of the kills are in darkness. With instantly forgettable one dimensional characters and a killer, who just a day later, and i've forgotten what he looked like.

I mentioned the darkness, and you can perhaps make an excuse saying it's a low budget film, which it is but so was Halloween back in 78. Back then they made great use of light and shade by having pumpkins flickering for example in a Lewton esq fashion, whereas the makers of this show no technical inspiration whatsoever. Makes you wonder if they have a love for their craft or just hope to make a quick buck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91NV-KHfG3L._SY445_.jpg (41.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th October 2018, 12:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The VVitch 2015

A family banished by their community build up a small farm, by them is the Woods and believe they have been Cursed for their Sins.

Not many time pieced horror movies work but this one did, the actors pulled off with the way people spoke back then with thee, thou and thy. It is a strange slow but steady paced movie, has the right marks to make it atmospheric with chilling music. It can be a bit disturbing about an infant taken and what happens makes us this that did she do what I think she did and also a family falling apart, definitely worth a watch and best viewed in the dark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (5.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th October 2018, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran

Get Out (2017)

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, all of the accolades and positive reviews have had me a little dubious about actually seeing it. I have to say that it doesn't live up to it's hype at all. I actually found the first 20-30 minutes so dull I almost turned it off, but I wanted to give it a chance to reveal itself, which it did slowly, and with a few red herrings. The actual resolution of the story is pretty far-fetched and really lets everything down.

However, there are few really successful set-piece scenes, such as the hypnosis and the scene where Chris confronts the maid about his mobile phone.

So-so, I wont be watching this again... not at all helped by the fact I really dislike Allison Williams she was always the worst character in Girls, and that is a feat in itself

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th October 2018, 12:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Get Out (2017)

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, all of the accolades and positive reviews have had me a little dubious about actually seeing it. I have to say that it doesn't live up to it's hype at all. I actually found the first 20-30 minutes so dull I almost turned it off, but I wanted to give it a chance to reveal itself, which it did slowly, and with a few red herrings. The actual resolution of the story is pretty far-fetched and really lets everything down.

However, there are few really successful set-piece scenes, such as the hypnosis and the scene where Chris confronts the maid about his mobile phone.

So-so, I wont be watching this again... not at all helped by the fact I really dislike Allison Williams she was always the worst character in Girls, and that is a feat in itself
I have no intention of watching Get Out.

I'm not impressed by many of the hyped studio horror films at all, be it Sinister, The Babadook, It Follows or Don't Breathe. This has never sounded that interesting to begin with.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 15th October 2018, 01:34 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have no intention of watching Get Out.

I'm not impressed by many of the hyped studio horror films at all, be it Sinister, The Babadook, It Follows or Don't Breathe. This has never sounded that interesting to begin with.
Save yourself the bother, you wont like it Troll 2 was way better

Old 15th October 2018, 01:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Save yourself the bother, you wont like it Troll 2 was way better
I take it the Troll films are better than that abysmal Leprechaun series?

I watched six of those recently. Decided not to even bother reviewing them here they were so dire.
Old 15th October 2018, 01:42 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I take it the Troll films are better than that abysmal Leprechaun series?

I watched six of those recently. Decided not to even bother reviewing them here they were so dire.
They were both shit but HIGHLY entertaining
I know you can get the DVD set with both films in the HMV 2 for £10 offer, although loads will be hitting MM and CEX now that the BD has come out.

Old 15th October 2018, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
They were both shit but HIGHLY entertaining
I know you can get the DVD set with both films in the HMV 2 for £10 offer, although loads will be hitting MM and CEX now that the BD has come out.
I'm off shit for a while. October and Halloween is the time for classics (and the Halloween sequels) not so bad they are good type films.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 15th October 2018, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Mummy's Shroud.

A British group of acrchalogists go to Egypt to uncover a tomb of a Egyptian prince Kah To Bey, and end up being killed off by the Prince's mummified servant as punishment for desecrating his tomb.

I have to say that i havent really thought that any of Hammer's mummy films have come close to the first one with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. This one as well is a pale imitation.
It's certainly watchable enough but its too slow and lacks atmosphere and suspense. and the casting is a bit average as well with no major stars apart from Andre Morell who dosent have much screen time anyway. Michael Ripper isn't too bad though and gets a bit more of a role than usual as a bumbling baffoon.
and then there's the mummy. whilst Christopher Lee's mummy looked menacing and creepy, this one looks laughable as if he's wearing pyjamas and a bit of bog roll.

Not one of Hammer's finiest hours but i'm still happy to have it in my collection. 68 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mummys-Shroud-8.jpg (53.7 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!