Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2012, 06:32 PM
Cultist

The earliest horror films I remember watching are 'Jaws', 'Poltergeist', 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' ('84 obviously) and 'Halloween' (again obviously '78) respectively. All time greats.

UPDATED WEEKLY
Old 27th January 2012, 06:34 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Nightmare on Elm Street. My dad was always a mad horror fan when i was a kid so he would have them around the house managed to see Nightmare on Elm Street one Saturday night while he was out. My older sister found it in his room and put it on i remember being terrified every time i went up stairs because there is a glass sort of lid to get into my attic and in my mind i could see Freddy looking down at me every time i would pass.
Old 27th January 2012, 06:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
the first 2 Friday the 13th's that sealed the deal though and made me a fan for life.
The same with me.

There seemed to be a new Friday the 13th film out every other week back then.
Old 27th January 2012, 07:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

The first horror film I saw as a kid, was Son Of Frankenstein on tv, followed the next week by Die Monster Die!

First Hammer I saw ( again on tv ) was The Reptile.
Old 27th January 2012, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Like many I don't remember what film it was, but again, like many, I was very young and have my da and BBC2 to blame.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Interesting topic.
I'd hesitate to say that some of my first memories were of video rental shops and their wares, but I certainly recall with quite vivid feeling the impact those old VHS boxes had on me at a very young age... a mere glance at the cover of some wretched cannibal flick and I wouldn't quite settle for days. I remember feeling so intimidated by the likes of 'The Deadly Spawn' and 'The Thing', so much so that when I finally got round to seeing them the sense of disappointment was unbearable... same with all those DPP list numbers worshipped in the shadows and spoken of in hushed tones, the final unveiling revealed no obscene beauty, just mediocre face paint and a zipper down the back (or so I thought when I was 16 or so - really dig them now, but for different reasons).
The first horror movie I saw was 'Alien'. It must have been on TV. It really freaked me out. Then later, 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' on VHS at a friend's house, when I was seven or so. It was a house that stank of cigarette smoke and the tinge of neglect, but I remember feeling enthralled and bedazzled. Weirdly enough, I dislike that film these days.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:17 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Like many I don't remember what film it was, but again, like many, I was very young and have my da and BBC2 to blame.
Same here, except it's my mum who's always loved her older horror films and who I used to stay up with.

I suppose mine might be Jaws though at the cinema, if that counts.
Old 28th January 2012, 12:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

First two horror films were on a BBC2 Horror Double Bill and were I Walked with a Zombie and Zoltan Hound of Dracula. They were great and I;ve loved both films ever since.

My first films on video rental were Carrie and The Exorcist. I've never been the same since - but they made me a lifelong horror fan.

The previous Christmas I had Alan Frank's Monsters and Vampires book and it became my bible. I used to make lists from that book of all the films I wanted to see and would eagerly watch the TV listings in case any should appear. Some of them have taken nigh on 3 decades to catch up with, but I'm getting there.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 11:24 AM
Active Cultist

March 17, 2001. Channel 4.

I would've been 11

Edit: I remember the previous year Channel 4 screened Texas Chainsaw, which (despite my failed attempt at surreptitiously recording it) my parents wouldn't let me see. I was left intrigued by it and when The Exorcist popped up in the telly guide I convinced them to let me see it. Great success
Daemonia likes this.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

yep,creepshow and the howling.
both in one night,the same day we got our vhs and became members of our local video store!
we would always get 2 videos on a saturday night,i would choose one and my brother the other.
i was about 9 or 10 at the time and i would ALWAYS get a horror,mainly due to the front/back cover!
sometimes we would even swap our films with our next door neighbours,be up till about 4am!!!
this is how i got into the Fridat 13th films.
we was lent Friday part 2,and i loved it.
veiwed this before i even seen part 1!

Like this? Share it using the links below!