All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2012, 04:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
"Citizen Kane" would be better if it had a metal/punk soundtrack, chainsaws and a good car chase!
And Robert pattinson !!!!
Old 12th February 2012, 04:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Paul W.S. Anderson

Switched my brain off and had a Paul W.S. Anderson double bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Event Horizon.jpg (101.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Resident Evi.jpg (106.9 KB, 5 views)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:19 PM
Ex-member

BASIC INSTINCT and FATAL ATTRACTION
bdc likes this.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Finally got round to watching the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street last night. I went in with low expectations and a fairly open mind (honest!) but this was far worse than I ever could have expected. AWFUL cgi (especially the bit where Freddy comes through the wall), totally pointless bits from the original pasted in and the apparently ambiguous is ''he/isn't he a child molestor?'' bit came out of nowhere with people just assuming the parents were wrong, even though in a previous scene he'd told Nancy she was his 'favourite' as he licked her face! Dreadful.

I also hated how the parents only reacted the way they did to Freddy because they were personally affected by him. It was much better in the original when they acted out of a misguided sense of parental duty with no direct emotional link to Freddy's actions.

It looked as if it was shot with a view to post-convert it to 3D - a lot of the shots were done with things pointing towards the camera (the bit with Freddys garden tool in the soil and the shot of the mother getting killed through the mirror) which was also off-putting at times.

Overall: a colossal stinker.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th February 2012, 05:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Finally got round to watching the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street last night. I went in with low expectations and a fairly open mind (honest!) but this was far worse than I ever could have expected. AWFUL cgi (especially the bit where Freddy comes through the wall), totally pointless bits from the original pasted in and the apparently ambiguous is ''he/isn't he a child molestor?'' bit came out of nowhere with people just assuming the parents were wrong, even though in a previous scene he'd told Nancy she was his 'favourite' as he licked her face! Dreadful.

I also hated how the parents only reacted the way they did to Freddy because they were personally affected by him. It was much better in the original when they acted out of a misguided sense of parental duty with no direct emotional link to Freddy's actions.

It looked as if it was shot with a view to post-convert it to 3D - a lot of the shots were done with things pointing towards the camera (the bit with Freddys garden tool in the soil and the shot of the mother getting killed through the mirror) which was also off-putting at times.

I guess I must be in the minority that actually like this film then
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th February 2012, 05:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I guess I must be in the minority that actually like this film then
I hated it!!!!
It was terrible.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 12th February 2012, 06:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

i'm in 100% agreement with you, that film was S^&^. I went to see the movie genuinely interested in how the dream sequences would play out with current technology. As it turns out pretty bloody awful. The film felt like someone was approaching the film as a gun-for-hire director and turning out something they thought people might like without any regard for the genre. I rate the remake as possibly the ONLY nightmare movie worse than freddy's dead and thats pretty god-damnned awful indeed!
Just imagine if the producers had hired a 'visionary director' someone with a real visual flair and real excitment at turning in some impressive looking dream sequences, someone like tarsem singh (at least at a purely visual level) and we could have actually landed a pretty decent horror movie.

Tragically the end result breaks the cardinal no1 keir's rule of film-making...

its boring.

I can forgive a lot but not that!

Boring, tepid, lifeless, passionless by the numbers corporate greed in celluloid form.
it'smebilly likes this.
Old 12th February 2012, 06:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

eXistenZ - A vast improvement on my previous experiences with this film. Don't know why in the past I was always a little disdainful - maybe I thought it should on some level live up to 'Videodrome', or 'Shivers', or its immediate precendent 'Crash' for that matter. In fact, it does just that, on its own terms, on its own plane of reference, one shared perhaps by 'Videodrome' and 'Naked Lunch' - the three come together in my mind to form some kind of unofficial 'unreality trilogy'. Whatever, this time round I thought it was great - something really evocative about those scenes where Jen and Jude are in dialogue but splintered across multiple planes of reality and identity - arguably more of a headf*ck than v'drome. A strange association sprung to mind - don't know if anyone's familiar with Thomas Ligotti, but for some reason I was reminded of his work alongside my viewing - maybe just the Kafkaesque sense of a shimmering fantastique echoing throughout a placeless place. Erm. Watched SILENCE OF THE LAMBS for the first time in 16 years and found a smooth, elegantly crafted work that absorbed my attention and delivered tension and thrills in the sought after manner. Nice gloomy tone of foreboding, and always a slightly baffling treat to hear 'Hip Priest' during that climactic standoff.
Old 12th February 2012, 06:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Shark Attack - I wasn't sure, but - yes - I had seen this on a VHS rental a ten years ago or so. Once again, reading the views on IMDb left me feeling an outsider and confused. There is a lot of hatred and contempt for this made-for-TV/video film, and I am not sure why. I think it's decently made, knows it's silly, throws in everything but the kitchen sink and the use of stock footage is far less intrusive than in a Bruno Mattei film - in fact I think it's quite well integrated!

I like this film and I cannot see what there is to hate about it. It's such unpretentious absurd fun!
bdc and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 12th February 2012, 07:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Shark Attack - I wasn't sure, but - yes - I had seen this on a VHS rental a ten years ago or so. Once again, reading the views on IMDb left me feeling an outsider and confused. There is a lot of hatred and contempt for this made-for-TV/video film, and I am not sure why. I think it's decently made, knows it's silly, throws in everything but the kitchen sink and the use of stock footage is far less intrusive than in a Bruno Mattei film - in fact I think it's quite well integrated!

I like this film and I cannot see what there is to hate about it. It's such unpretentious absurd fun!
I trust it will be Shark Attack 2 then Shark Attack 3: Megalodon next then?

All entertaining films. I have them in a box set with the Crocodile movies and the Octopus films. Great stuff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!