Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179623Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2014, 04:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Is it just me, or do the later Russ Meyer films ('Vixen', 'SuperVixens', 'Up' and 'Beneath The Valley Of The UltraVixens') have absolutely no plots whatsoever?

They seem to exist wholly-and-souly as a reason to show the actors in various sexual encounters!
I dont think I ever noticed!
Old 15th April 2014, 06:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hell's Highway (2002)

Four friends travelling along a notorious stretch of road in Death Valley known as Hell's Highway pick up an attractive hitch hiker named Lucinda.

To go into the plot any further would spoil it for first time viewers, but i will say that despite it's tiny budget Hell's Highway is an ambitious film with a mind bending story full of delightful twists and laden with gross out gore and finger ****ing.

Astonishingly the film is really well acted, on the whole all concerned are technically very good, and the only let down is due to budgetary constraints rather than lack of ambition or love of the genre.

Highly recommended to connoisseurs of no-budget cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hell-Highway-2001-1.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 15th April 2014, 07:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

nightmare castle

amazing gothic horror, dripping with atmosphere with a fantastic score and a amazing dual role for Barbara Steele. also it looks fantastic and really cant see it looking any better 10/10

in the mood for some gung ho kick ass action, think i will watch aliens been sometime since i have seen it
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 15th April 2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 15th April 2014, 07:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Hell's Highway (2002)

Four friends travelling along a notorious stretch of road in Death Valley known as Hell's Highway pick up an attractive hitch hiker named Lucinda.

To go into the plot any further would spoil it for first time viewers, but i will say that despite it's tiny budget Hell's Highway is an ambitious film with a mind bending story full of delightful twists and laden with gross out gore and finger ****ing.

Astonishingly the film is really well acted, on the whole all concerned are technically very good, and the only let down is due to budgetary constraints rather than lack of ambition or love of the genre.

Highly recommended to connoisseurs of no-budget cinema.
I watched this a year or so ago I went into it expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised a very enjoyable Hidden gem Indeed despite it's Budget Limitations
Old 15th April 2014, 08:59 PM
Cult Addict

HOLES. Excellent kids film that keeps it's emotional content clean and simple allowing the story and characterisation to flow. The boy MTDS and I really enjoyed this one which is fun, funny and not overburdened with complex moral questions and situations which seem to dominate most kids films of late.
Old 16th April 2014, 12:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I Criminali Della Galassia aka The Wild, Wild Planet (1965, "Anthony Dawson")

Yes, he's back on the space pasta........

Containing, as it does, the greatest fight sequence i've ever witnessed, TWWP is a hoot from start to finish.
First off you have the cop on the edge (Tony Russell) a loony "scientist" (Massimo Serato) called Nurmi, scary female slaves who obviously tickled Tim Burton's fancy cough, aaaaaaaaand a neat line in sexual politics . The sets are super (if like me, you are aroused by 60s model work....) and it's funnier than The Snow Devils.
Russell is like a more violent Captain Kirk (more?), whilst the baddie sports some spiffing fashions. This MGM release is also quite lovely to look at btw, recommended to fans of wacky and wacked out cinema everywhere......

John Dies At The End (Don Coscarelli, 2012).
Rewatch of this, as mate felt that watching my Parsley dvd would be dull (philistine! eco friendly hippy lions rule!!). If you haven't seen this yet, why not? John and close friend (and narrator) Dave fight off transdimensional scum of all sorts, whilst the viewer pays dearly for going to the toilet without pausing haha. Recommended Highly!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2014, 01:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finished reading John Dies at the End of last week, so the film is high on my 'to watch' list.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th April 2014, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Class Of '84 (Mark Lester, 1982).
Hadn't seen this in a dog's age, so stuck it on whilst having my tea. As I watched this (and Smithereens, Times Square, Suburbia, bloody Kids etc....) to death back in the day, I was glad that it had aged reasonably well. More violent than Blackboard Jungle, less hairy than Teenwolf, a new teacher (Perry King) starts his new job at an inner city high school where life is cheap and the puns are cheaper. Exploitation field day with this one, as the "kids" run riot, literally in some cases. Featuring Roddy McDowell doing his usual simpering bit, this is quite right wing really, the whole arc of the film builds to the "liberal" teacher turning to the american way of death, in a justified(cough) assault on children......

Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th April 2014, 07:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Crucible of Terror (1971)

On the whole Crucible of Terror has many detractors, fortunately i'm not one of them. Personally i really like the film. Sure, as it's many critics suggest, it is occasionally dull but never bores me. It is one of those horror's that clearly isn't Hammer but is quintessentially British. On one hand it's quaint and tea cozy charming, on the other it borders on batshit crazy, Some sections of the story i find quite disturbing, especially the whole sequence of Ronald Lacey's death, and downright bizarre with it's plotting, especially the ending, which if a first time viewer can say they saw it coming i would suggest they were telling little white lies.

It has a fine cast including former DJ and hopeful Hammer star Mike Raven, James Bolam, Ronald Lacey and a sadly underused Melissa Stribling. The film also has a great location of the Cornish coast which thankfully the team utilized in many scenes. It is however the plot, encompassing art dealers, sculptors, a family to rival anything out of Chainsaw County USA, madness and murder, that makes the film what it is - an oft disliked but original slice of seventies British horror.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mn866UkQAWYvGeugZvlWEZCB61x.jpg (83.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th April 2014, 11:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Raid 2: Berandal - 7/10

More ambitious than the first, but way wayyy too long - the scenes that should have been deleted are so obvious, and just really bog the film down and make it drag. Fortunately, the film redeems itself somewhat near the end with an impressive car chase and probably one of the greatest fights I've ever seen.

(For reference, I gave the first film an 8/10.)
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!