Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2014, 08:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

From Beyond The Grave (1974)

Ay, customers, come in, come in. I'm sure I have the very thing to tempt you. Lots of bargains. All tastes catered to. Oh... and a big novelty surprise goes with every purchase. Do come in... any time. I'm always open.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:49 AM
Active Cultist

Raze - Starring Zoe Bell, a rather brutal and violent film, basically a group of girls locked up have to fight each other one on one to the death on the promise the final winner will be set free. recomended if thats your type of film.

Transporter - Seen it a few times but other half had never seen it, still great action scenes, i remember being suprised on first watch how good Jason was at the fight scenes only knowing him from Lock Stock and Snatch

Kill Bill - Again other half had never seen it, i love Tarantino films and this to me is a rather good one, and luckily on watching i browsed Ebay and found the Japenese Versions selling together for £10 + £4 P&P so ill lokk forward to colour fight scenes soon.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th January 2014, 01:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Titus. (1999)

Anthony Hopkins, Jessica Lange and Alan Cumming star in Julie Taymor's deliciously lurid interpretation of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. Titus is an intense exploration of humanity's darker recesses. A tour de force of revenge, rape, dismemberment, madness and cannibalism.

Often reminding me of Derek Jarman's Jubilee with its punk rock delinquency, Titus is a film full of juxtapositions and anachronisms, hence the Roman centurions and their modern day fire arms and the merging of Mussolini's Italy with the ancient Roman Empire, not to mention pool tables and video game arcade machines. The film was shot on location at Cinecitta studios in Rome and utilized many iconic locations making the film a visual treat as well as a fine literary adaptation.

With a cast also including Angus Macfadyen, Colm Feore and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and special effects by Sergio Stivaletti, Titus is a highly recommended take on a literary classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg titus-movie-poster-1999-1020266115.jpg (70.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg titus.jpg (75.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th January 2014, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Carrie (2013)

Wanting into this not expecting much and to be honest had already made up my mind that it would be crap, but I ended up enjoying it, not a patch on the original. Really enjoyed the last half hour when Carrie gets her revenge, ok it gets very silly and as someone else mentioned it turns into a superhero movie with the stuff she can now do. 7.2/10

Now watching the believers which I can't ever remember seeing before.

Last edited by trebor8273; 28th January 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 28th January 2014, 08:54 PM
Active Cultist

Just watched Martin for the first time in about 10 years - man, was it always this depressing a movie? Bleak Pittsburgh locations, dead end lives, suicide, chickens getting it, ugly nudity, an all round spiritual void- what a bummer. Weird thing is according to the little doc the crew had a fantastic time making it, Romero even met his future wife! These happy days didn't exactly translate to the screen - literally not one laugh in the entire film, unless you count (arf) George's cameo as a tipsy priest. The Italian version on Arrows DVD is truly hellish btw, like an extended Big Train sketch.
Old 28th January 2014, 09:09 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Just watched Martin for the first time in about 10 years - man, was it always this depressing a movie? Bleak Pittsburgh locations, dead end lives, suicide, chickens getting it, ugly nudity, an all round spiritual void- what a bummer. Weird thing is according to the little doc the crew had a fantastic time making it, Romero even met his future wife! These happy days didn't exactly translate to the screen - literally not one laugh in the entire film, unless you count (arf) George's cameo as a tipsy priest. The Italian version on Arrows DVD is truly hellish btw, like an extended Big Train sketch.
The bleakness is what made it such a great film for me.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict

CURSE OF CHUCKY. This starts out fairly well as a kind of boho gothic chic melodrama but soon descends into by the numbers horror, then, just to piss me off even more, it turns into a comedy for the final act. Brad Dourif's daughter, Fiona, makes an attractive lead but I must confess my mind wondered during the film into sexual fantasies about her and the fear that I may visualise Brad's face at the vital moment.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict

Each to their own. i'm a big fan of Martin but agree the italian version is just wrong. Half of the scenes are jumbled and in the wrong order.
Old 29th January 2014, 06:47 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Elysium

Watched Neil Blomkamp's "Elysium" and found it as good as "District 9". Good to see Matt Damon playing an unlikely hero for a change as he just wants to save his own skin for over the first half of the film.

A very interesting premise with the great divide being the rich and the poor being very topical. Glad to have it in my blu collection.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:28 AM
Cult Addict

WALKER.

Based on a real historical figure William Walker (filibuster) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia who conquered and became president of Nicaragua before having to flee the country (after burning its capital city) a year later.

Alex Cox sticks to the known facts about Walker but injects a similar level of absurd dark humor to the proceedings. As walker takes over modern American cultural artifacts like coke bottles, Time magazine and Marlborough ciggarettes begin to wander into frame. It seems a bit odd at first but Cox is making a real point here about how Walkers story really represents the story of a lot of America's future foreign policy in regards to central and southern America as well as further afield. To re-enforce this point the end credits feature broadcast footage of Ronald Reagan talking about Nicaragua.

Fiercely political and very funny this film is up there with Repo man for me as one of cox's better films. Certainly worth seeking out!

Like this? Share it using the links below!