Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2014, 09:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I'm probably going to get killed here for this, but honesty is the best policy.

John Carpenter's The Fog - small tow of Antonio Bay is celebrating it's 100th year. Ghost ship mysteriously appears out of fog. People mysteriously turn up dead.

Average ghost story is very atmospheric although extremely slow moving. It has some genuinely good scenes, but I found it very hard to get through. I had the same problem with Cronenberg's Scanners. It didn't meet my high expectations, nothing much really happened except for a few impressive scenes. Can't see myself watching it again anytime soon. 6/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Kids today.

I wonder if i can ban you for a month for this.
Be careful Mr. Dike

I was severly chastised by the 'kids' on the forum when I dared to question their postings suggesting that:

a) the 'Friday 13th' remake was better than the the original
and
b) the original 'Friday 13th' was boring and pointless!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th February 2014, 09:51 PM
Cult Master

Just watched Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows"

Ok - there were some laugh-out-loud moments, but I can't help thinking I would have got more out of the movie if I was American

I have never seen the original television show, so I'm sure I missed out on some of the more obvious gags and references

Johnny Depp was fun, although he only looked about 15 years old, and Uncle Alice has a cameo appearance, but...I wanted something that was missing

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th February 2014, 09:57 PM
Active Cultist

Well I gave the Carrie remake every chance - respect for the lead actresses and of course King's story made me flout my self imposed remake ban. Not great. The opening half hour is particularly grim - Morentz is a bag of tics and never convinces, the prayer den cupboard replete with handsome Jesus is resolutely unterrifying, Moore is too restrained, scenes are botched by out and out poor direction (the exploding water cooler a prime example - no tension whatsoever). Things get a little better as we approach the revenge phase, although there's none of the chemistry Spacek and Katt brought to the budding romance - it all feels rote, dull foreplay before the gory orgasm. Predictably it's here 2013 scores a few points - IMO the car stopping and face through the windscreen are the only two scenes that improve on the original, although the sense that Carrie is out of control and almost a slave to her powers is lost - here she's more like a cross between Magneto and David Copperfield. Sissy did it all with her eyes and was ten times scarier. The final scene? Bloody awful. I think the 49% on RT for this is fair, it's bog standard. Now, dare I brave the Robocop remake? Decisions, decisions...
Old 4th February 2014, 09:58 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Just watched Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows"

Ok - there were some laugh-out-loud moments, but I can't help thinking I would have got more out of the movie if I was American

I have never seen the original television show, so I'm sure I missed out on some of the more obvious gags and references

Johnny Depp was fun, although he only looked about 15 years old, and Uncle Alice has a cameo appearance, but...I wanted something that was missing
Johnny Depp always looks like hes 15
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 5th February 2014, 04:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That sounds fair.
Youse couldn't ban me!!!! People would miss me too much!!!
Old 5th February 2014, 05:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Be careful Mr. Dike

I was severly chastised by the 'kids' on the forum when I dared to question their postings suggesting that:

a) the 'Friday 13th' remake was better than the the original
and
b) the original 'Friday 13th' was boring and pointless!
I'm not sure if I had a bad copy or if the movie was poorly shot, but I found the original Friday the 13th way too dark during outdoor night scenes.

But yes I found the first one really boring and annoying, but absolutely love the sequels. I've watched up to 6 and love all 5 sequels so far.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 5th February 2014, 08:47 AM
Cult Addict

Dead heads.

Two slackers wake up to find they have become zombies. Unlike the rest of their kind they have retained their humanity. They head off on a cross country road trip so one of them can reunite with his girlfriend. Made in Michigan the film is chock full of horror references including Evil Dead from one of Michigans most famous sons Sam Raimi. Dead heads doesn't always hit its marks and some of the jokes fall flat. Overall though its 90 minutes of fun and can be picked up really cheaply.

The perfect weapon.

Jeff speakman plays Jeff, he's a kenpo master whose mentor has been murdered by the Korean mafia. Naturally this being action cinema he's out for vengeance! Perfect Weapon is great fun if not a little dated in places. It must have seemed incredibly cool to open the film with Speakman doing his Kata to snap's 'I've got the power' unfortunately 20 years on it is slightly cheesy.

HOWEVER. Perfect weapon is worth a watch. The fight scenes are very well choreographed. James Hong is a great villain and the film is never, ever boring. I can live with cheesy, not boring.

The Blu-ray from olive is region free btw.

Night Tide.

Somewhat classier, Curtis Harrington's 1960 horror stars Dennis Hopper as a sailor on shore leave hanging around the bars, sideshows and attractions on Venice beach. In a jazz bar he meets a mysterious young woman who he becomes infatuated with.Finding out she is working on a carny side show as a mermaid Hoppers sailor soon hears some dark rumours about the woman and discovers she may in fact be a real mermaid from legend.

Harrington's film was shot independently at a time the independent film scene was not as prevalent as it would soon be (outside of Sam Arkoff and James H Nicholson of course) and Landing Hopper, who while not an A star had recently been working with James dean on films like Rebel without a cause and Giant, must have been a minor coup. The black and white photography looks marvelous and the haunting score and strange carnival attractions help instill the film with a strange otherworldly atmosphere. Kino have done a good job here as the film looks great, it's a region free Blu and is well worth picking up.

Day of the animals.

A disparate group of tourists head up into the wilderness on a hiking trip with their guide (played by Christopher George) only to discover the hole in the Ozone layer is driving all the animals nuts. Pretty soon the group are being mauled and killed off by Fuzzy critters as they fight for survival!

From the director of GRIZZLY (also worth seeking out) William Girdler. Day of the animals is a fun and occasionally genuinely creepy nature amok film. The animal photography and stunts are all first rate and the film manages to be genuinely tense. It's does occasionally veer into the ridiculous. Lesley Nielsen goes totally nuts, tries to rape a woman and when a bear wanders into camp (played by the momma bear of the bear from THE EDGE no less) he calls it a bastard and goes to fight it! That said its scenes like this that really endear me to the film!

Scorpions region Free Blu-ray looks ASTOUNDING. A really impressive transfer. The film has never, ever looked as good. If you haven't seen it and you like killer animal films then you really need to pick it up!!!

LAST STAND.

Arnie returns to the screens in a film that was unfairly panned by critics and shunned by cinema goers. Director Kim Je-Woon really makes the most of the material and delivers a genuinely entertaining and beautiful looking action picture with well choreographed action scenes and a real sense of fun. Personally I much preferred this to the expendables.
Old 5th February 2014, 10:27 AM
Active Cultist

Wrong Turn 2 - Well better than i expected, not as good as the first one but still quite respectable, Henry Rollins i love the guy to bits his stand up shows are brilliant, the chat he did about Iggy Pop had me in stiches, but i digress, yeah decent film for what it is, deformed cannible hillbillies.
keirarts and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 5th February 2014, 10:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I'm not sure if I had a bad copy or if the movie was poorly shot, but I found the original Friday the 13th way too dark during outdoor night scenes.

But yes I found the first one really boring and annoying, but absolutely love the sequels. I've watched up to 6 and love all 5 sequels so far.
I couldn't agree more!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 5th February 2014, 12:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

A good evenings viewing....

Like this? Share it using the links below!