Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2014, 02:03 PM
Cult Addict

francos dracula.jpg

Dracula (Jess Franco)

Sick and tired of the endless parade of Dracula sequels that Hammer studio's was churning out, each one further removed from the source material than the last, Christopher Lee went looking for a Dracula project that would be closer to Stoker's original vision.

Having already worked with producer Harry Alan Towers and director Jess Franco the same year on EUGENIE... THE STORY OF HER JOURNEY INTO PERVERSION, as well as the previous FU-MANCHU pictures and THE BLOODY JUDGE, he seemed to feel that this would be the perfect team up for the definitive Dracula movie.

What resulted may not be the definitive Dracula, but Francos take on it is stylish and memorable and one of his better films. Arguably better than taste the blood of Dracula and Scars, (both 1970 on IMDB as is Francos Dracula) with a memorable turn from Klaus kinski as Renfield Francos Drac is rich in gothic atmosphere. It has some odd moments, including a sequence where the hero's seem to get terrorised by stuffed animals (including a startled looking badger) and it begins to feel a little rushed near the end. Nontheless Francos Dracula is well worth seeking out and Dark Sky's DVD offers a great looking print to be found at a reasonable price.
Old 20th March 2014, 02:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Attachment 132722

Dracula (Jess Franco)

Arguably better than taste the blood of Dracula
You're a lunatic i tells ya!
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th March 2014, 02:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You're a lunatic i tells ya!
Some might say that. But I wear my tin foil hat to keep their voices quiet!

But by 1970 the Dracula films were kind of dropping in quality. Not terrible perhaps but they were becoming a little formulaic and far removed from the Stoker source material.

The Franco one OOZES gothic menace and while i'm aware his style of film making can be off putting, I found it far more entertaining.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th March 2014, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Some might say that. But I wear my tin foil hat to keep their voices quiet!

But by 1970 the Dracula films were kind of dropping in quality. Not terrible perhaps but they were becoming a little formulaic and far removed from the Stoker source material.

The Franco one OOZES gothic menace and while i'm aware his style of film making can be off putting, I found it far more entertaining.
Taste the Blood of Dracula is in my top ten horrors of all time.

I'll leave it at that.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th March 2014, 04:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Seconds (1966) for the members Reviews...soon up!!

And Sinner aka Diary Of A Nymphomaniac (1973, JF) because I've Ren & Stimpied my nuts off in last 3 days and needed some adult company hahahaha

Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th March 2014, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

zone troopers

another favourite of childhood and VHS rental. just as much fun as i remember help greatly by a likable cast, some good alien effects and the always great Tim Thomerson. now wishing foe either a blu ray or even dvd release. 8/10

moon two zero

had never seen or heard of this hammer movie before, it had a hard time trying to figure out what it was but that didn't stop me enjoying it. glad to have it in my collection. 8/10

invaders from mars 1986

Tobe Hooper remake of the original, most of the cast are good(apart from the young boy) in the roles which include Karen Black and the wonderful Louise Fletcher. not as good as the original, but still not a bad movie. 7.5/10

strange invaders

homage to 50s b movies which is a hell of a lot of fun with a fantastic cast. stand-outs are Paul Le mat, Louise Fletcher(again) and Nancy Allen who is fantastic. also watch for June Lockhart and Mark Goddard from Lost in Space. well worth seeking out for fans of movies like invasion of the bodies snatchers and 50s b-movies.
9/10

now watching Sgt Kabukiman which to my surprise i'm really enjoying!
Old 20th March 2014, 09:47 PM
Active Cultist

Rare cinema visit tonight to see Under the Skin. I'm maybe a little biased - the locations, accents, etc are my world and I loved Michael Fabers book - but I have no hesitation calling this a masterpiece. It's impressionistic, a mood piece, but never boring. Certain scenes you will never forget - that's a promise. Scarlett is fantastic, the soundtrack mesmerising and the atmosphere is like no other. My favourite film since the very similar Morven Callar.
Old 20th March 2014, 09:56 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

I watched 'Disconnect' last night. Highly recommended and incredibly gripping drama.

Going to give 'A Single Shot' a look tonight.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th March 2014, 10:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Rare cinema visit tonight to see Under the Skin. I'm maybe a little biased - the locations, accents, etc are my world and I loved Michael Fabers book - but I have no hesitation calling this a masterpiece. It's impressionistic, a mood piece, but never boring. Certain scenes you will never forget - that's a promise. Scarlett is fantastic, the soundtrack mesmerising and the atmosphere is like no other. My favourite film since the very similar Morven Callar.
I watched it on Saturday and have the same sentiment. Mesmerising and haunting. I'm assuming you're talking about the beach scene (that's no spoiler before people attack me) as a memorable scene. So disturbing. And for those umming and aahing about watching it, Scarlett gets fully nude been waiting too long for those shots tbh. That may put some off but if so, you're not human

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 20th March 2014, 10:36 PM
Cultist

blood of the beasts - george franju
A documentary about the slaughterhouses of Paris from 1949. Very intense and hard to watch but very well made. Butchers doing their job because we have to eat. As simple as that. Not recommended for vegetarians or meat eaters who pretend hamburgers grow on trees.

Like this? Share it using the links below!