Like Tree179046Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2014, 10:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Frozen

A impulse buy. So glad I did buy it really enjoyed this amazing animated movie one of the best animated movies I have seen in a long long time. Everyone should give a watch, definitely can see this being up there with all the other classic Disney movies. 10/10

Edit

About to watch all the colours of the dark is it any good?
ATCOTD. How did you find it then?

Watched Let Me In (Matt Reeves, 2010, Momentum UK dvd). Mate kept pushing this onto me (unbeknowst to me at the time that he hasn't seen LTR1I!!). Typical US spoonfeeding of the plot, I missed the cat attack, the CGI grated (as twas so obvious) and blah blah blah. Watched this the same night as The Mechanic. And yes, I've given mate the original.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th April 2014, 10:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I don't remember Statham being in that film!
Argh, another film to add to my pile. I see he's got another one out with my mate's mancrush, so thatll be fun, the next time I see him haha.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th April 2014, 03:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Spiral Staircase (1946)

A beautifully stylish piece of Gothic horror. Surely an influence on Dario Argento with it's fantastic tracking shots and avant garde photography. The Spiral Staircase is a Giallo movie twenty years before the Italians decided to make them.

The film features a black gloved killer who murders young disabled women. Helen a young mute girl who works as a live-in companion for a wealthy bed ridden woman fears that she will be the next victim and the killer could already be in the house.

The cast featuring Dorothy McGuire, George Brent, Elsa Lanchester and Ethel Barrymore is uniformly superb, especially McGuire who goes the whole film without dialogue, having to convey her thoughts and fears through other means.

The house itself, a large many bed roomed almost palatial affair is one of the "stars" of the film. Shadowy, cavernous and creepily eerie, the cinematography by Nicholas Musuraca, under the direction of Robert Siodmak brings the place to life giving it an almost foreboding personality in it's own right.

All in all, The Spiral Staircase is a terrific example of suspenseful Gothic noir which is guaranteed to keep you guessing right to the very end.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss-poster4.jpg (85.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 6th April 2014, 07:03 AM
Cult Addict

Went to Manchester to see MATT BERRY at the ruby lounge. Went early to have a browse round the shops ect.

Found myself with a bit of spare time so I went to the Odeon Printworks to see Richard Ayoade's THE DOUBLE.

When the film started I thought I was watching a kafka-esque nightmare sequence. As the film went on I began to realize 'Nope, this is the film.'

Kermode compared the film to Eraserhead, I thought he was nuts but the grim 70's Britain looking locations certainly made me think of the film. It looks like where we would all be working if the Communists had won the cold war.

It's a comedy... sort of. It's funny but incredibly bleak and nightmarish. I liked it but the audience was sat in stony silence all the way through not really knowing what the hell they were watching.

Also there was a trailer for the new Frank sidebottom film with Michael Fassbender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-hWzq67w4
Old 6th April 2014, 10:55 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

In the past week I watched the following:

Thor Dark Kingdom - Fun popcorn movie.

Hobo With A Shotgun - Perhaps one of the better of the recent exploitation pastiches.

Escape Plan - Two faded action heroes team up to provide a very entertaining escape movie.

Grand Slam - One of my favourite robbery films. Not quite up there with Rififfi but close.

Revolver - Great.

Lethal Weapon, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon 3, Lethal Weapon 4 - I think this series has aged badly, but still enough entertainment to warrant further rematches.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - for Anderson completists only.

Squirm - It is what it is.

and at the local Kino Noah - I think maybe some joker pasted pages from Lord of the Rings in Aronofsky's copy of the old testament. Entertaining, but the first of his films to really disappoint.
Old 6th April 2014, 11:05 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
In the past week I watched the following:

and at the local Kino Noah - I think maybe some joker pasted pages from Lord of the Rings in Aronofsky's copy of the old testament. Entertaining, but the first of his films to really disappoint.
Noah actually contains a lot of the stuff cut out of the old testament and is found in the apocrypha.
Old 6th April 2014, 01:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

FRIDAY 13th 1-8: Classic series, Voorhees will always be my favourite nutcase. The first 3 are perhaps the best produced of the series. 4 disappoints. 5 and 6 have an older Tommy Jarvis and are more fun to watch, particularly 6. I've always liked the psychic angle in number 7 and 8 is a hoot in the big apple. Will be watching 9 later. Then I have Jason X, Freddy Vs Jason and the Friday 13th remake - None of which I've seen before.

Amazing US blu ray box set from Paramount, with 3D glasses + camp crystal lake sew-on badge + thick booklet. I love watching number 3 with the 3D glasses provided, a novel experience! The 1st one has had the most care and attention lavished on the transfer. The others don't always pop in HD (but the upgrade from DVD is obvious!). Number 6 is pretty stunning to look at too.

DOLLS: One of the better 'murderous magic toys' film I've seen. Has a good creepy old house atmosphere and amusing script. Not very bloody for a Stuart Gordon film but has the Charly Band stamp all over it. Guy Rolfe is great Great looking transfer on the UK 101Films BD.

HELL COMES TO FROGTOWN: Barmy post-nuke comedy with Roddy Piper and frogmen. Great Arrow BD!

MEET HIM AND DIE: Really enjoyable poliziotteschi starring Ray Lovelock, Gianni Garko and Martin Balsam. Great car chases and twist ending.
Raro's blu ray isn't great, quite soft and a little DNR'd but its acceptable.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 6th April 2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 6th April 2014, 02:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Wow! This was terrible. Chris Evans as the titular hero has as much ability to express himself as a broken pencil and Tommy Lee Jones is still coasting along playing US Marshall Gerard as only he can.

Good points over with, Captain America is a chest beating, America is here to save you, re-writing history as we do it, infestation of jingoistic flag waving nonsense.

I would love to know what Jello Biafra thought of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain_America_The_First_Avenger_poster.jpg (44.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th April 2014, 02:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Wow! This was terrible. Chris Evans as the titular hero has as much ability to express himself as a broken pencil and Tommy Lee Jones is still coasting along playing US Marshall Gerard as only he can.

Good points over with, Captain America is a chest beating, America is here to save you, re-writing history as we do it, infestation of jingoistic flag waving nonsense.

I would love to know what Jello Biafra thought of it.
100% disagree
Old 6th April 2014, 03:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
100% disagree
That's fine.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!