All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2014, 09:43 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Captain America the winter solider

Not hard to see why people are praising this as the best marvel movie to date, interesting story and a more real world film than the other marvels, but that didn't stop it being a gripping , exciting and action packed ride from beginning to end. Loved the little Easter egg of pulp fiction. Thor 2 is probably still my favourite marvel movie, but this is a very close second 9.5/10
I was really disappointed with Thor The Dark World.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

MARKED FOR DEATH. Big Stevie Seagal in more trim days, kicks, snaps and shoots the living shit out of a gang of Voodoo practising Jamaican crack dealers. Man, I'd forgotten just how balls out looney this film was in terms of exploitation and violence. Stevie is on top form, at his most arrogant looking best as he snaps arms and legs all over the place. Highly recommended.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Starman (1984)

A very good John Carpenter film aimed at a family audience and in all probability riding along on the coat tails of ET, Close Encounters etc.

Jeff Bridges stars as an alien who comes into contact with widowed Karen Allen and forces her, in the beginning, to take him on a road trip into the Arizona desert where he'll get picked up by his own people. Charles Martin Smith is enlisted by the NSA to prevent this happening.

A really enjoyable film with a simple yet highly entertaining premise and is supremely acted out by Bridges, who was nominated for an academy award, and Allen, who genuinely seems the sort of woman you would want to go on a road trip with.

Carpenter directs with verve, and it's a shame he didn't try more of the family friendly fayre when his horror career started to decline.

Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starman-movie-poster-1020532737.jpg (57.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 7th April 2014, 11:31 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Probably my favourite Seagal film, Marked For Death. Managed to pick it up on Blu today for 6 pounds from CEX in mint condition, had a lot of fun revisiting it especially that final battle.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 8th April 2014, 06:09 AM
Cult Addict

Nightmares come at night.

Crime thriller shot by Jess Franco who turns it into some dark erotic nightmare. Very odd and certain to alienate a few who watch it. Franco fans should really get a kick out of it however.

Cobra.

Needing something a little more 'lightweight' after Nightmares, decided to finally check out my Cobra blu-ray in the Stallone box set. Cobra is a fun movie. It's one of the many right-wing super cop movies that came out in the wake of the Dirty Harry franchise, where aggressive alpha-male police officers take brutal action against criminals who are pretty much universally one dimensional monsters. All the while the cop bemoans the fact that he has to abide by the rules and respect peoples rights. Politically i've always found these kinds of film a Joke and i'm not the only one. Judge Dredd and the American TV series Sledgehammer both found plenty of comedic material out of this premise.
As unaware of itself as it is, Cobra is nonetheless an awful lot of fun. It has plenty of action throughout and the cult of serial killers is a neat idea that other properties have pinched over the years.

Things to come.

Had this sat on my shelf unwatched for ages so finished the evening off with this minor classic of British cinema. The planet, as represented by the fictional 'everytown' is wracked by war. After decades of conflict mankind is reduced to primitive barbarism until the airmen come along and take over. Using the idea that all the resources and technology humans use to make war on one another could be better used for the betterment of mankind they turn the globe into a utopia. However some eventually tire of constant progress.

The film is perhaps a little too idealistic but the message is a positive one. Change and progress is inevitable and should always be embraced and steered on a positive course that will improve things for all mankind, not just a select few.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I was really disappointed with Thor The Dark World.
can see why some didn't enjoy it, but for me its a lot of fun and is what a superhero movie should be. DC really need to take a look at marvel if they want to make a good superhero film, yes that includes the dark knight trilogy (and man of steel) which are great films but to me its not a superhero film and its batman is just a guy in a costume and is not the Batman i know from the comics etc. the dark night batman is really a bit of a wimp compared to what he should be like.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:46 AM
Cult Addict

I found Thor 2 overlong and far too much time was spent on silly science babble. And too much of it was set in Asgard which I feel turned it into more a Star Wars wannabe. And given its a Thor movie he wasn't in it for huge patches.
Granted it is still better than Iron Man 2 which I hated.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:57 PM
Active Cultist

Finally caught up with PT Anderson's The Master. The only thing I'm sure about is that the torrent of one star 'reviews' on Amazon are utter garbage. No film that looks this stunning and is acted this well is a one star movie. That said, what's it all about? There's no story in the conventional sense, more a meeting of two people and the effect they have on each other. Hmm, I'II see it again and get back to you, I think there's more going on here than meets the eye and it strikes me as a singular film, one that deserves a little effort.
Invid Ninja likes this.
Old 8th April 2014, 04:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
can see why some didn't enjoy it, but for me its a lot of fun and is what a superhero movie should be. DC really need to take a look at marvel if they want to make a good superhero film, yes that includes the dark knight trilogy (and man of steel) which are great films but to me its not a superhero film and its batman is just a guy in a costume and is not the Batman i know from the comics etc. the dark night batman is really a bit of a wimp compared to what he should be like.
I agree. For me even the nolan films don't really hold up and are the directors weakest films. I much preferred Nolan making stuff like the prestige and inception.

I think anyone who didn't like Thor the dark world might want to think long and hard about guardians of the galaxy (and then go anyway) as its going to be cosmic stuff like Thor.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

BLACK SABBATH - ITALIAN VERSION
MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE
SUN DRAGON
HARD BOILED
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."

Like this? Share it using the links below!