Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2014, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict

Lawless

law.jpg

I quite enjoyed this, i'm not a big gangster film fan, depends what it is.
Primarily this is about a family trying to make a living, it just happens that their produce is illegal (moonshine). Even though everyones doing it on the sly.
Anyway my main draw to this film was the screenplay by Nick Cave (Who i'm a big fan of generally) and the director John Hillcoat. Both collaborated previously on 'Ghosts of the civil dead', 'The Proposition 'and 'The Road'.
My favourite film of theirs is 'The Proposition' which i love, this is not as good but is still a pretty good film.
Lawless has some really good scenes and is well acted, having said that there is quite a bit of mumbling going on, but as long as you pay attention its not a problem.
Gary Oldman is pretty much wasted though in a small role.
Well photographed, interestingly scored, and infused with sporadic moments of cringeworthy violence ,i found it to be a worthwhile watch.
Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th April 2014, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Frankenstein ( 1931)

10/10 nothing else to say a classic.
Old 24th April 2014, 09:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Frankenstein ( 1931)

10/10 nothing else to say a classic.
Is that what you thought "So good i have nothing to say" ?

Old 24th April 2014, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that what you thought "So good i have nothing to say" ?

He must have enjoyed it so much it left him speechless.
Nemesis likes this.
Old 24th April 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Grand Theft Auto (1977)

Directed, written and acted by Ron Howard, Grand Theft Auto is madcap motoring mayhem at it's best and funniest.

Shit blows up and there's the odd car crash. No sorry! Shit blows up and cars crash every other scene, and it's all done for real. No CGI here folks. Howard wouldn't have time for it with all the cars exploding everywhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GRAND-THEFT-AUTO.jpg (92.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 25th April 2014, 12:03 AM
Cultist

Melancholia - Lars von Trier - 2011
I have watched this before, but the second time I did it was better. Wagner's music (Tristan und Isolde) is so overwhelming to say at least. If you use this music on any film it will automagically elevate the film. Lars knows this of course and the way he uses this great music with the high speed camera images is very beautiful. A great cast also, although I do not like Alexander Skarsgård very much to be honest. Kirsten Dunst shows to be a very fine actress and it is always fun to see Udo Kier (who stars in every von Trier film except Antichrist). The final scene is magnificent and for me quite emotional (also due to the music I suppose).
Old 25th April 2014, 01:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Dead by Dawn celebrated the 100th Birthday of William Castle with a screening of the wonderful House on Haunted Hill which despite its age and familiarity still has one or two jump out of your seat moments.

More fun tomorrow.
Old 25th April 2014, 08:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Dead by Dawn celebrated the 100th Birthday of William Castle with a screening of the wonderful House on Haunted Hill which despite its age and familiarity still has one or two jump out of your seat moments.

More fun tomorrow.
The house on Haunted Hill is a classic, i still enjoy watching it if im stuck for a movie.

-
The Cars That Ate Paris - I saw this in Fopp for £3 and had always wanted to watch it as im a big Carmageddon fan and see the game paid homage to the film in some way. I enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would. It was like The Wickerman meets BadTaste. Peter Jackson must have taken cues from this film for his comedy in Bad Taste for sure. The blurb on the back doesn't sell the film in a very good way, but i would agree it is a comedy.

The Long Weekend - I would love to write a fancy line like you guys can on this film but i can't find the words. I wanted a North by Northwest but didn't find that story set up in this film, instead i was pleasantly surprised to find an original film with fine acting great set pieces, strong plot and a nice surprise ending. I'm not convinced i will upgrade to the Blu Ray yet but i am sure i will go back to this film in the future.

(I'm sorry for my grammar guys, I'm working on it and apologize if anyone grinds their teeth reading my post haha. )
Old 25th April 2014, 08:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm glad you enjoyed The Cars that Ate Paris, Vipp. I really enjoy Weir's film making style (I suggest you check out Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave if you haven't already) and 'Cars' is a favourite of mine.

No need to apologise for the grammar either - it reads fine to me.
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 25th April 2014, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

This. And it was bloody fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 12 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!