Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Horror Stars & Directors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2009, 12:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Fulci would maybe just win it for me,with his zombie quadrilogy from the late 70's,early 80's,although i really rate don coscarelli as a director.Granted,he aint done much,but he did give us the brilliance that is phantasm,still my fave film of all time,hands down. Aint seen nothing like it before or since(apart from the sequels of course.)

Also early cronenberg(up to the fly remake) is brilliant,videodrome is still in me top ten flicks of all time.

Worst...franco certainly comes to mind,although there are a few of his films i dont mind watching,but most are so mind numbingly dull,that franco collection-vol.2 comes to mind. Awful!
Old 24th July 2009, 03:58 PM
Cultist

I must say that the AB Franco Vol. 2 box set is one that I get a lot of enjoyment out of, although one perhaps has to be in the right frame of mind (i.e. horny).

Favourite horror director would be Andy Milligan. I adore the uber-theatrical, schizoid, jarring, no-budget ambiance of his period Gothic grotesqueries in particular.

Last edited by tobiaswragg; 25th July 2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 24th July 2009, 06:10 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Love:

Dario Argento (not a fan of some of his later efforts - but his earlier stuff more than makes up for it)
Mario Bava
John Carpenter
Ruggero Deodato (have yet to dislike any of his films)
Terence Fisher
Robert Fuest
Lucio Fulci (ditto Argento)
David Cronenberg
Umberto Lenzi (some of his '80's stuff is a bit dodgy... but his earlier gialli are excellent)
David Lynch (not strictly a horror director... but almost all his films feature aspects of horror IMO.)
Sergio Martino
Jean Rollin ( to you loops! )
Michele Soavi
Norman Warren

Hate:

Uwe Boll (the awful Seed, the terrible Alone in the Dark.... )

Undecided:

Lamberto Bava (loved Blade in the Dark, Demons, Macabre but... Body Puzzle? The Torturer? )
Jess Franco (Great to abysmal scale: Bloody Moon---Exorcism---Succubus - there are a fair few Franco's I haven't seen plus others that I think are okay like Cannibals and Venus in Furs)
George A. Romero (Out of the Dead's: Night is a classic, Dawn is good even though it seems a bit long and drawn out in places, Day is okay, Land is a bit dull, Diary I thought was pretty good. Martin is excellent, Crazies is fun but not great IMO, Creepshow is ace, Two Evil Eyes is okay.)

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 26th July 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 25th July 2009, 06:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Love:
John Carpenter
Lucio Fulci
Stuart Gordon

Like:
George Romero (mainly for Night, Dawn, Day of the Dead & Creepshow)
Tobe Hooper (mainly for TCM, TCM 2, Salem's Lot, Eaten Alive & The Funhouse)
Ruggero Deodato
Brian Yuzna (mainly for Bride of Re-Animator, Society, Return of the Living Dead III & The Dentist)
Dario Argento
David Cronenberg
Joe D'Amato
Terence Fisher
Roy Ward Baker
Freddie Francis
Eli Roth
Peter Jackson (for Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles, Braindead & The Frighteners)

Meh:
Wes Craven (I only really like Last House on the Left & A Nightmare on Elm Street)
Sam Raimi (I only really like the original Evil Dead, can't stand Evil Dead II or Army of Darkness)

Last edited by Vampix; 25th July 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 29th July 2009, 04:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Best?

I guess I return to my earliest influnences and vote for the powerhouse director that once was JOHN CARPENTER, with "In the Mouth of Madness" being his very last masterpiece.

Worst?

Kim Henkel for insulting my bad eye vision with his "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The next Generation"
I'm usually a crap sequel completist, but this one stays out of my house for good!
Old 14th August 2009, 02:31 PM
Cult Rookie

Favourites: Jess Franco, Terence Fisher, Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, Jean Rollin
Worst: Jess Franco, Herschell Gordon Lewis

Most Franco movies tend be either all time favourites (Venus In Furs, Vampyros Lesobs, Vrgin Among The Living Dead, She Killed in Ecstacy, both Eugenie movies, Auwful Dr. Orloff) or reall snooze-fests, so I've included him in both categories. Tried quite a few HG Lewis movies and the only one I though any good was The Gore Gore Girls.
Old 14th August 2009, 06:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

David Lynch is another director whose films I just can't get into.Eraserhead was just inexplicable,and I can't see what all the critical acclaim over Blue Velvet was.Wild at Heart,one of his more 'mainstream' movies was okay IMO.Definetly an acquired taste.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 14th August 2009, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
David Lynch is another director whose films I just can't get into.Eraserhead was just inexplicable,and I can't see what all the critical acclaim over Blue Velvet was.Wild at Heart,one of his more 'mainstream' movies was okay IMO.Definetly an acquired taste.
Blue Velvet and Eraserhead are class, mate!

Have you watched Twin Peaks? (the series and the film - they're probably the most accessible of all of Lynch's work - and fantastic IMO). My favourite Lynch is still Lost Highway though.
Old 14th August 2009, 09:08 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Definetly an acquired taste.
I feel the same Reaps. I liked The Elephant Man but that's about it for me.
Old 15th August 2009, 11:38 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye
My favourite Lynch is still Lost Highway though
Thats my favourite as well bizarre, a while back i got to see it on the big screen at the prince charles cinema in london (think it was a double bill with Brazil) and it was fantastic. Though I do really like Wild at Heart too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!