Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2011, 07:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
The trailer isn't that bad at all, certainly not as bad as I was expecting. Undoubtedly I'll end up preferring the original, but this looks like it could still be fun.
Old 13th May 2011, 08:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
The trailer isn't that bad at all, certainly not as bad as I was expecting. Undoubtedly I'll end up preferring the original, but this looks like it could still be fun.
I agree - that trailer makes the film look quite interesting.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Looks bad to me. Disturbia with a vampire. I'll give it a miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beyond72 likes this.
Old 14th May 2011, 12:05 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

they don't show any Tennent in the trailer, whats up with that...
Old 14th May 2011, 05:03 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
they don't show any Tennent in the trailer, whats up with that...
He's there Peter....for about a second! Near the end of the trailer when Dandridge comes down from the ceiling behind someone (just after we hear him say "you smell that?"). It's blink and you'll miss him. Must go to show what the makers think when they cant even be bothered to feature what was probably the best character from the original, properly in the trailer!

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 14th May 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 14th May 2011, 05:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Looks bad to me. Disturbia with a vampire. I'll give it a miss.

My initial pessimism on this one has passed. The trailer was better than I thought it would be. This mini review of four scenes from the film from collider.com gives more cause for some optimism too. Early days yet and the end result could well end up as being dreadful still but at this stage I am leaning towards a more optimistic view:

Quote:
When you remake a movie that almost every horror fan loves, you’re playing with fire and it’s almost impossible not get burned. After all, if you stick too close to the original, people will say, “why did you remake it.” And if you decide to change too much, fans will complain about what was left out. However, after watching twenty minutes of director Craig Gillespie’s Fright Night remake in his editing suite last week, I’m very confident he’s walking the fine line that will make the large majority very happy.

Based on what I know, the movie is very close to the original, but it definitely has some tweaks and alterations.

While I’ve done a few edit bay visits, this was the first one where I had to wear 3D glasses to see the footage. And unlike some of the 3D movies I’ve seen recently that have been post converted and looked terrible, the 3D Fright Night footage looked great. Of course Fright Night was shot in 3D, so it’s not surprising. The thing to know is…this is one of those movies that’s actually going to be worth seeing in 3D.

But back to the footage.
We saw four scenes on a large monitor in the editing room. The first featured Yelchin (Charley) and Farrell (Jerry) meeting each other on the street and then going over to Charley’s house to borrow some beer. It’s a little bit into the movie when Charley is starting to suspect Jerry might be a vampire. As Yelchin is at the fridge gathering a six pack, Farrell’s talking about Yelchin’s girlfriend and standing in the door way. He’s clearly waiting to be invited in, but at the same time, he’s saying things to get a reaction from Charley. He’s trying to feel him out. Farrell plays the scene great as he’s a mixture of creepy and evil.

The second scene is further into the movie and it featured Yelchin breaking into Farrell’s house. We see him searching. He’s looking for clues to help him prove Jerry is a vampire. As he searches in an upstairs room, he finds a secret passage in a closet which leads him into a long hallway with locked doors. I should mention the closet was filled with uniforms (police, fire, etc) for when Jerry wants to go hunting.

As Yelchin walks down the prison type hallway, he discovers one of the rooms has someone he knows trapped inside. As he tries to rescue her, Farrell has returned home and he makes his way to the same hallway. To stay alive, Yelchin makes it into another of the rooms and he’s able to watch as Farrell uses the girl to take a drink. As he’s doing this, the girl motions to Yelchin to stay quiet. It’s a creepy and effective scene. You can see part of it in the trailer.

From there, the next scene we were shown was the first footage of David Tennant as Peter Vincent. While I’d seen images of Tennant as the character, this was my first time seeing any footage (It should be noted that in the original Fright Night, Vincent was an elderly late night horror host while the remake has him as a successful Vegas magician). In the scene, Yelchin pretends to be a reporter who wants to interview Tennant and as he watches Tennant get undressed (he takes off his wig and goatee), he starts asking him questions about vampires and how to kill them. Tennant’s look was pretty cool.

The final scene of the day was something I’d already seen at CinemaCon and it’s a great one. At the beginning, Imogen Poots (as Charley’s girlfriend Amy) is downstairs in Yelchin’s home and she’s telling him that although he’s acting weird, she still wants to be there for him. While they’re talking, Charlie’s mom (Toni Collette) is listening in from the top of the stairs. As Poots and Yelchin are talking, he’s holding a stake and she calls him on it. He’s really trying to distance himself to save her, but she doesn’t understand what’s really going on.

Cut to a knock at the door.

Farrell is trying to get invited in the house and he’s saying he will go to the police unless they can work out their issues right now. He claims that Yelchin has broken into his house and is acting weird. Yelchin is freaking out. He knows if Farrell gets invited in they’re all dead. He begs his mom to not let him in. After a few moments, she tells Farrell to call the police. While you’d think Farrell would walk away and not try to draw and unnecessary attention to himself, he doesn’t care. We then see Farrell walking to the back of the house and we cut to Yelchin saying, “This isn’t good.” Since I don’t want to spoil what happens next (but it’s in the trailer), let’s just say Farrell has figured out a way to get everyone outside and we’re now driving on a long stretch of highway with Collette driving and Yelchin in the front passenger seat with Poots in the backseat.

While all the stuff I’d seen in the editing room looked cool, the car sequence was easily the best part of the day. As most of you know, the longer you hold a shot, the harder it is to pull off, which is why this car stuff was so awesome. Instead of constructing a scene made up of 50 or more shots, we watched the entire scene play out in one long take. Even though you might think that would be impossible to pull off, with the smart use of technology and a lot of pre-planning, it was a seamless trick. It also added a lot of tension to the scene.

Again, while I don’t want to spoil the entire scene, let’s just say Farrell is after them and by the end, he’s revealed more of what he looks like as a vampire. Trust me, it’s an awesome scene and it looked fantastic in 3D.

Final Thoughts

If you were nervous the Fright Night remake might disparage the original, I’m here to reassure you it won’t. Based on what I’ve seen and what I know about the remake, I’m very optimistic director Craig Gillespie has crafted a solid vampire movie. With a release date of this August, you won’t have to wait too long to see it for yourself.
FRIGHT NIGHT Edit Bay Recap

Last edited by The Limey; 14th May 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 3rd June 2011, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Tennant speaks (briefly!):

Old 3rd June 2011, 08:19 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Tennant speaks (briefly!):
Haha, so Dreamworks thought they would address the fans disappointment at having Peter Vincent appear in the first trailer for barely a second, by adding in another 2 seconds of him? Shows that the studio has no clue about what the fans want. We want wall to wall Vincent!
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Haha, so Dreamworks thought they would address the fans disappointment at having Peter Vincent appear in the first trailer for barely a second, by adding in another 2 seconds of him? Shows that the studio has no clue about what the fans want. We want wall to wall Vincent!
I would think that the second trailer for this remake is going to feature a lot more Peter Vincent. The requests and comments for exactly that are pretty much cropping up everywhere with the trailer. This little clip though is interesting with Farrell sounding out Yelchin. Farrell actually comes across as pretty creepy in the little scene depicted too:

And yes the sole comment accompanying it is a request for more Peter Vincent....
Old 7th June 2011, 06:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Now this looks much more interesting and more Tennant:
"Let's kill something!"

Like this? Share it using the links below!