Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2010's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2011, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I could watch the film at this year's Fantasy Filmfest over here and I was quite pleased with it. If you do not look for an innovative film with loads of ground-breaking new stuff and if you are into the good old slowly walking zombies - you should like this film as much as I did. As my viewing is about only a month ago, I think I can wait a bit and see the price drop and then click a "buy" button
Old 13th September 2011, 12:20 PM
Blogs Moderator

I think the films originality stems not from the Zombie action itself but the setting and sense of vast, almost alien landscapes you get in certain parts of the film.

That's not to run the horror aspects of the film down. All the well loved Zombie tropes come correct and it throws in a post-Resident Evil video game element in so far as you can see the cogs turning in characters brains as they try to calculate if they have time to execute a task before the dead fall on them.

You have this in Zombie survival games. The idea that instead of shooting everything that movies, you take you time and preserve resources. This gets lost among the most hyperactive undead movies.
Old 13th September 2011, 01:00 PM
Blogs Moderator

I've just updated the official fanhub with details of upcoming THE DEAD screenings.

The stand out is this showing in Brighton, with a director's introduction:

THE DUKE OF YORK'S PICTURE HOUSE

For more screenings, visit the HUB
Old 13th September 2011, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
I've just updated the official fanhub with details of upcoming THE DEAD screenings.

The stand out is this showing in Brighton, with a director's introduction:

THE DUKE OF YORK'S PICTURE HOUSE

For more screenings, visit the HUB
F in awesome! I only thought I'd get to watch it on Blu-ray but now I get to see it in cinema AND meet the Director. Duke of York here I come.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 15th September 2011, 04:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It got a great write up in the latest issue of Dark Side magazine. Quite looking forward to it.
Old 15th September 2011, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Pre-ordered from HMV; sounds great.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:50 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'll be seeing this tonight at the Duke of Yorks cinema in Brighton where the director will be there to introduce it. Can't wait!

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 1st October 2011, 10:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Went and saw The Dead last night at the Duke of Yorks Cinema in Brighton. The Director Howard J. Ford was there to introduce the film along with the lead actor Rob Freeman, which was amusing (they were almost killed on several occasions filming this, held at gun point, mugged, held for ransom etc. etc.)
Some other crew members and the directors family and friends were all there too which was nice.
Was a fantastic zombie film though, soooo good. One of my all time favourites and definitely the best and most original zombie film of the last 10-20 years. The cinematography was gorgeous where it was all shot on completely unfilmed terrain in Africa. Nice and gorey too and had a surprising amount of jumpy scare moments which made Kelly fly out of her seat on a few occasions (to the sniggers of the people behind).
It comes out soon on BD so without a doubt I'll picking this one up.
wayfarer likes this.

Old 2nd October 2011, 05:26 PM
Blogs Moderator

Can I quote the above on the fanhub please?
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
Can I quote the above on the fanhub please?
Of course of course

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!