Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2010, 12:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Even so, it's a vastly superior classification body than the MPAA.
Yeah, but an MPAA classification is not a legal requirement for release - an Unrated film can still be distributed. I find the legal obligation to pay for the absolute services of the BBFC somewhat Draconian.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Yeah, but an MPAA classification is not a legal requirement for release - an Unrated film can still be distributed. I find the legal obligation to pay for the absolute services of the BBFC somewhat Draconian.
Ditto.
I prefer the US system where they can release unrated DVDs.
At lease then we can see the directors intended vision at least on DVD if not in the cinema.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 1st May 2010, 11:41 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The ability to release DVDs and films as 'unrated' is a fantastic option and one that would be fantastic to have in the UK but, when it comes to theatrical releases, I'd rather have the BBFC than the MPAA.

The documentary This Film Is Not yet Rated was extremely revealing on the MPAA's shortcomings and makes the BBFC look incredibly good by comparison.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Plus, they're VERY strict on showing nudity in the US.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The BBFC certainly are far better than the MPAA. But, personally, I find them both pointless organisations as far as censorship is concerned. By all means classify - but to give a select group of individuals God-like powers over what we can and cannot see is utterly ridiculous. And also, as pointed out, there is no unrated alternative for UK distributors. No, those folks at Soho Square have to decide, on my behalf, what I can watch. Thank God the BBFC are more liberal these days, that's something at least.
Old 1st May 2010, 01:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Thank God the BBFC are more liberal these days, that's something at least.
I totally agree and be grateful for small mercies is what i say.

We all know if the much maligned James Ferman was still breathing we'd be complaining a hell of a lot more. Our venom would still be spitting constantly!

I'd rather have the current band of butchers at Soho Square ruling the roost as opposed to not-so jolly Jim and his foolish followers.

Imo the present censorious climate in the U.K. is the best it's been since the good 'ol pre-VRA days. In the case of some films today's situation is even better than way back when!

God only knows Ferman must be spinning in his eternal slumber!
Old 1st May 2010, 04:03 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
We all know if the much maligned James Ferman was still breathing we'd be complaining a hell of a lot more. Our venom would still be spitting constantly!
If Ferman was still censor today, releasing films such as New York Ripper or Late Night Trains would be pretty pointless.
Old 1st May 2010, 07:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
If Ferman was still censor today, releasing films such as New York Ripper or Late Night Trains would be pretty pointless.
The guy was an idiot. Wasn't he some kind of failed film director? The sad thing was, this deluded goon actually seemed to think he was improving the quality of the ( many ) films he cut.

The BBFC have come on in leaps and bounds since then and I do genuinely believe they will pretty much do everything not to cut a film ( the complete opposite to Ferman's era ).

I'm all for classification, but I believe the BBFC should have lower fees for smaller labels and that all '18' rated movies shoud be left uncut.
Old 1st May 2010, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The guy was an idiot. Wasn't he some kind of failed film director? The sad thing was, this deluded goon actually seemed to think he was improving the quality of the ( many ) films he cut.

The BBFC have come on in leaps and bounds since then and I do genuinely believe they will pretty much do everything not to cut a film ( the complete opposite to Ferman's era ).

I'm all for classification, but I believe the BBFC should have lower fees for smaller labels and that all '18' rated movies shoud be left uncut.
I agree. Ferman was a fool end of

I do also agree that the BBFC is far better then it was in the Ferman days, all they need to do now is to introduce unrated classifications on dvds.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 1st May 2010, 08:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I dread to think what a mess he would have made of those two titles or even most of Shameless' releases. Can you imagine Roger Ferman considering passing Killer Nun or Baba Yaga uncut!?

Like this? Share it using the links below!