Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship

Like Tree1188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Animals Act only applies to the public exhibition of cinema it is BBFC policy to apply it to DVD. There has never been a legal challenge.
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
You may well be right, Vin - I suspect there's something in the VRA. I've been reading that and not seen anything in there yet, though.....
Nothing to do with the VRA.
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Thanks Angel. I found the BBFC's reply mentioning 'board policy' but not the more detailed post.

(still in shock over hearing Lynn Redgrave has died)
Old 3rd May 2010, 03:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The BBFC say if they were to allow animal cruelty on DVD it would more than likely cause a public backlash and the law would probably be extended to cover those formats anyway.
Old 3rd May 2010, 04:01 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
The BBFC say if they were to allow animal cruelty on DVD it would more than likely cause a public backlash and the law would probably be extended to cover those formats anyway.
I can understand this. It would be pretty absurd if a film such as Faces Of Death was cut for the cinema, yet passed intact for home viewing.
Old 3rd May 2010, 04:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes I think it would be farcical cutting a 2 second horse fall at the cinema then passing it on DVD anyway. I'm sure the BBFC know they have the public support when it comes to cutting animal cruelty.
Old 3rd May 2010, 05:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As it stands then, making minor cuts of scenes of animal cruelty is not within the BBFC remit when it comes to DVDs and BDs -- that would necessitate a change of law.

It could then be easily challenged to get a film such as Inferno released in its entirety but then the law may be challenged and all subsequent releases would be dealt with much more harshly. That would be a case of today's gain is tomorrow's loss.
Old 3rd May 2010, 05:52 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Still, at least we now know they have no legal obligation to cut animal footage from films (for home consumption). But I can certainly understand why no-one challenges this. Personally, I think if they only targeted the harshest examples of animal cruelty (ie: Cannibal Ferox) that would be enough. Is there any real need to cut a few horsefalls from 40/50 year old westerns though? I think the BBFC need to review their policy and define at what point it becomes unacceptable. The older films that do contain horsefalls and were never previously cut never so much as caused a stir among the general populace. So much for listening to public opinion then...

I'm sorry, I really do try to be understanding of the BBFC, but my opposition to them is too ingrained now. And I always think if we get complacent things could just as easily start rolling backwards as forwards.

Last edited by Daemonia; 3rd May 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

It is Board policy to cut animal cruelty on DVD in line with the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937. There's no way the BBFC are ever going to review this policy or make any changes. What's cut on film will be cut on DVD and this is the position it will continue to be be whilst the BBFC are in charge.

My own view is that the BBFC should keep things exactly as they are now. And I know only too well that they will.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:43 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
My own view is that the BBFC should keep things exactly as they are now. And I know only too well that they will.
So don't expect an uncut 15-rated Cannibal Ferox just yet, folks.

Like this? Share it using the links below!