Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Modern Movies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Day of the Triffids DVD Thread

THE HUMAN RACE HAS HAD ITS DAY

Visit the official site

www.dayofthetriffids.co.uk

One of the highlights of the BBC's 2009 Christmas TV schedule, John Wyndham's classic 1951 post-apocalyptic bestseller The Day Of The Triffids comes to the screen as an epic, brand new, contemporary adaptation produced for BBC One by Power, producer of the Emmy-nominated "Virgin Queen" (also for the BBC), the hit ITV mini-series "Flood" (with Muse and Moonlighting) and "The Devil's Whore" for Channel 4 (with Company Pictures).

Released as a two disc Ultimate Edition DVD on 1st February and single disc Blu-ray on 22nd February 2010, The Day Of The Triffids an effects-laden CGI extravaganza about a world threatened by carnivorous, man-eating plants boasts a star-studded cast that includes Dougray Scott (Desperate Housewives), Joely Richardson (Nip/Tuck), Eddie Izzard (Valkyrie; Ocean's Thirteen), Brian Cox (The Bourne Supremacy), Vanessa Redgrave(Atonement; Evening), Jason Priestley (My Name Is Earl; Medium), Shane Taylor (Band Of Brothers) and Ewen Bremner (Hallam Foe).

With traditional global fuel sources dwindling, mankind's search for an alternative has led to the cultivation and harvesting of the Triffid, a relatively newly discovered plant rich in oil extracts. Capable of seemingly intelligent behaviour and able to move around on their leg-like roots, these dangerously carnivorous plants possess a poisonous sting enabling them to kill and feed on their victims. When a highly anticipated, worldwide solar storm results in the billions of spectators who witness it being rendered totally blind, civilized society begins to collapse leaving those few sighted survivors to watch helplessly as disorder unfolds.

Amidst the chaos, the once- captive Triffids find freedom and, with a voracious appetite for human flesh, begin roaming the planet, evolving and breeding rapidly as they descend upon towns and cities in search of food. With mankind facing imminent annihilation, it is left to a select few people to take a stand against the Triffids' reign of terror and fight an epic battle to save the future of the human race.

Produced by Power and Prodigy, written by Patrick Harbinson (Law And Order: Special Victims Unit; E.R.) and directed by Nick Copus (The 4400; Eastenders), The Day Of The Triffids is an action-packed, fast-paced suspense drama that vividly brings to life Wyndham's chilling sci-fi thriller.

The Day Of The Triffids (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (19.99) on 1st February and Blu-ray on 22nd February (24.99) by Showbox Home Entertainment. Special Features include: "Making of" featurette; VFX progress; Behind the Scenes; Interview Gallery (18 interviews); Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo audio options; DTS HD MA 5.1 audio track (Blu-ray only); Chapter Index.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

im super serial excited for this, i love the film with Howard Keel and the awesome BBC show from the early 80s, and from the clips and trailers this is shaping up to look sweet. Awesome cast too. The BBC are airing this on dec 28th and 29th at 9pm.....looking forward too it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Blogs Moderator

I'll be watching, one eye on the TV the other on Twitter, think I'll do a running commentary!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This looks good.

I don't think I've ever seen the original either...

IF YOU'RE LYING,I'LL BE BACK.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Blogs Moderator

Hey Reaper,

Head the Triffids site and check out the links at the bottom of the screen, you should find a link to the 80s Triffids series, a nice way to spend a snowy afternoon if you've finished your shopping.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen the original either...
The original Howard Keel version is extremely dated now though still pretty entertaining.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It out on DVD Vince?

A lot more entertaining than Seven Brides....

Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I've got the Second Sight video. 2 Entertain released it on DVD though apparently the print quality was very poor (probably a BBC TV one).

You may have to 'root' it out from a separate 'branch'. Otherwise give Amazon a 'trunk' call or just 'leaf' it alone for now.

I'll stop now.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

VINCENT!

Cheers Sam.I'll check it out over the hols!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Blogs Moderator

Oak-Kay can we stop with the fauna-tastic puns already?

I'm over-Elmed by them, I may have to bring back the Birch.

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Tags
dvd, triffids