LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default The Perfect Sleep

THE PERFECT SLEEP

“A FANTASTIC, WONDERFUL RIDE.

IT’S FILM NOIR ON CRACK.”

GARY OLDMAN.

Described by the Independent Film Quarterly as “Goodfellas meets Chinatown… [a] modern gangster masterpiece”, The Perfect Sleep, the directorial debut feature from Jeremy Alter, is a stylish, contemporary film noir that owes as much to Shakespeare (references to Hamlet, Othello and King Lear abound) as it does to the works of Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler. A co-producer of ‘Inland Empire’ and location manager on ‘Lost Highway’, director Alter also wears his Lynchian influences on his sleeve as he presents star and scriptwriter Anton Pardoe’s (himself a location assistant on ‘Lost Highway’) hard-boiled, noirish world of ruthless gangsters, femme fatales and morally unsound detectives as a dark and vivid dreamscape full of tormented characters.

In a timeless, unidentified city (which may or may not be Los Angeles), a man with no name (Pardoe) returns to the violent, brutal domain of gangsters and assassins he left ten years before, back when they dubbed him The Mad Monk for his disregard for his own life and his intense devotion to one woman, Porphyria (Roselyn Sanchez).

The girl he grew up with and the love of his life, Porphyria is now a beautiful woman - the only thing he has ever wanted and the one thing he can never have. She, alone, is the reason for his return. Her life now in danger, he is the only man who can save her. But waiting for him are several killers who would like nothing more than to see him die a painful death, while standing at their forefront is the formidable Nikolai (Patrick Bauchau), the man who raised him and just might be his father. To protect Porphyria, this unnamed man must revisit his former life of torment and torture and confront the father figure he turned his back on so many years ago.

Co-starring Roselyn Sanchez (Without A Trace), Patrick Bauchau (2012), Peter J. Lucas (Inland Empire) and Michael Pare (the Bloodrayne movies), The Perfect Sleep is a dreamy, often nightmarish, film noir enhanced by stunning cinematography, ethereal locations and a cool, atmospheric musical score by David Vanian, the frontman of punk-goth legends, The Damned.

The Perfect Sleep (cert. tbc) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Icon Home Entertainment on 26th July 2010.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

TPS seems to lack a decent action quota judging by the trailer. Maybe a touch too slow moving and artsy for me. But a gorgeous looking film no doubt and i may just wait until the DVD reduces in price before taking a chance on a copy.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Blogs Moderator

I think the idea here is to clash Lynchian Noir with more mainstream action stylings and then wrap everything up in surreal oddness.

The risk is that fans in either camp will be ultimately unsatisfied but if you approach the film as an inspired genre mash-up with a look that bests it's budget then you could be in for a treat.

On a different note, the producers have made a brilliant viral marketing clip to help promote the film. Check this out...

Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

That was just awesome I have to watch the film now. See, marketing works.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
TPS seems to lack a decent action quota judging by the trailer. Maybe a touch too slow moving and artsy for me. But a gorgeous looking film no doubt and i may just wait until the DVD reduces in price before taking a chance on a copy.

I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head. I found the movie to be a little too slow, but ultimately well filmed.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Blogs Moderator

Time Out says similar. They give it a glowing review generally, point to it's humour and style and ultimately say it worth the perculiar pacing for a rewarding experience...

CULT LABS BLOG

And get more Perfect Sleep over at the official Cult Labs Product Page
Old 07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I think Time Out are a bit generous. Our review is up - not too negative, just telling it how we see it, as normal

The Perfect Sleep
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Blogs Moderator

THE PERFECT SLEEP is out now.

Read more reviews and check out other links HERE

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Tags
david lynch, drama, film noir, icon